Morning Anxiety Support Blog

[Ma...]

[96...]

I have suggestions for anxiety in general(not just morning anxiety):

If you wake up and feel anxious that doesn't mean that your whole day will be filled with anxiety

One minute of anxiety doesn't equal an hour of anxiety

An hour of anxiety does not equal a day of anxiety

A day does not equal a week, get the picture?

The most important thing you can do for yourself in regards to anxiety are:

1) Accept it

2) Speak compassionately to yourself

3) Don't feed in to the fear, this will only escalate it

4) Breathe, diaghragmatically...this takes practice so do it daily for at least 5 minutes and work your way up

5) Do not catasptrophise....the world will not end, you will not die...keep things in perspective...it is just anxiety

6) Distraction...cannot say enough about this; find something, anything...rummage through your purse, click a pen, count by 3's, sing....find what works for you you and stick to it

7) Exercise, atleast 3 days a week if not more

8) No caffeine...sorry...you don't want anxiety then you will have to forgo caffeine

9) Read labels on OTc meds....Excedrin contains caffeine and so do alot of other prodcuts so read labels

10) Educate yourself...there is a plethora of information at our disposal...use it

11) Stay in the present moment..if you are "worrying", you are living in the future. If you are feeling "guilty" you are living in the past. Stay in the moment...it is where we are at all times, though we do not ackowledge that

F=False

E=Evidence

A=Appearing

R=Real

Just Breathe

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [Pa...]

• [so...]

• [bo...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[96...]

Thanks JB!

I need to Copy/Print that and it lamenated and kept in my pocket! :)

Love it!  :smitten:

Shelley- glad I could help....there will be more to come >:D

JB

I'm having a really hard time this morning. Bad dreams again (DAMN!) and waking up in absolute fear about the future and my ability to handle things. I noticed that my lower intestine is acting up again, too. Can this mean the closing of a window? Or is it just my "normal" state coming back. As much as I don't like the idea of the window closing, I'd rather it be that than me coming back to some baseline awful state that's plagued me for so long. I also went out to find that someone had vandalized my mailbox (almost for sure a member of one of the anger management groups that meet in my building - a weird situation that would take a long time to explain). The bummer is that I can't prove who did it, and trying to find out or take action might likely egg on one of these jerks. I just feel so powerless. And it really pisses me off that stuff like this seems to happen when I'm in the worst mental state (I was already freaking out a bit before I even went out of the house). Somehow, my resolve to get a job has turned into fear again. I'm feeling sort of agoraphobic and have a very low opinion of myself right now. Maybe it's the need to find a job, and the process of applying that's playing tricks on me as well. But what to do about that? Nothing it seems. It feels like no one can help me with this stuff, and I'm a little worried that if it's not benzo w/d, then this forum is not really the appropriate avenue either. I'm feeling alone and afraid right now. I hate this.

Matteo  :idiot::(

[96...]

I'm having a really hard time this morning. Bad dreams again (DAMN!) and waking up in absolute fear about the future and my ability to handle things. I noticed that my lower intestine is acting up again, too. Can this mean the closing of a window? Or is it just my "normal" state coming back. As much as I don't like the idea of the window closing, I'd rather it be that than me coming back to some baseline awful state that's plagued me for so long. I also went out to find that someone had vandalized my mailbox (almost for sure a member of one of the anger management groups that meet in my building - a weird situation that would take a long time to explain). The bummer is that I can't prove who did it, and trying to find out or take action might likely egg on one of these jerks. I just feel so powerless. And it really pisses me off that stuff like this seems to happen when I'm in the worst mental state (I was already freaking out a bit before I even went out of the house). Somehow, my resolve to get a job has turned into fear again. I'm feeling sort of agoraphobic and have a very low opinion of myself right now. Maybe it's the need to find a job, and the process of applying that's playing tricks on me as well. But what to do about that? Nothing it seems. It feels like no one can help me with this stuff, and I'm a little worried that if it's not benzo w/d, then this forum is not really the appropriate avenue either. I'm feeling alone and afraid right now. I hate this.

Matteo  :idiot::(

I have suggestions for anxiety in general(not just morning anxiety):

If you wake up and feel anxious that doesn't mean that your whole day will be filled with anxiety

One minute of anxiety doesn't equal an hour of anxiety

An hour of anxiety does not equal a day of anxiety

A day does not equal a week, get the picture?

The most important thing you can do for yourself in regards to anxiety are:

1) Accept it

2) Speak compassionately to yourself

3) Don't feed in to the fear, this will only escalate it

4) Breathe, diaghragmatically...this takes practice so do it daily for at least 5 minutes and work your way up

5) Do not catasptrophise....the world will not end, you will not die...keep things in perspective...it is just anxiety

6) Distraction...cannot say enough about this; find something, anything...rummage through your purse, click a pen, count by 3's, sing....find what works for you you and stick to it

7) Exercise, atleast 3 days a week if not more

No caffeine...sorry...you don't want anxiety then you will have to forgo caffeine

9) Read labels on OTc meds....Excedrin contains caffeine and so do alot of other prodcuts so read labels

10) Educate yourself...there is a plethora of information at our disposal...use it

11) Stay in the present moment..if you are "worrying", you are living in the future. If you are feeling "guilty" you are living in the past. Stay in the moment...it is where we are at all times, though we do not ackowledge that

F=False

E=Evidence

A=Appearing

R=Real

Just Breathe

Matteo- do any of these help? I have had anxiety & panic attacks for most of my life...reason why I to benozo's...but I am on my way off. Plesse read the above...if you want to talk, I'll be back in a little bit...need to go grab lunch.

JB

Matteo,I feel your pain.I understand how a person can have a low self-esteem.....I have something in my lungs that can wake up any time and can go to any organ next,so when I go to bed at night I am ALWAYS afraid to fall asleep in case I stop breathing,but somehow I do pass out but when I wake up in the morning it is always with fear and questions as to what this day may bring.......this is what 

Ooooops,stupid computer!!!!! What I wanted to say was that when i do wake up I tell myself that I can't control the future,I can control NOW and if I'm still alive then it's good????I then do breathing excercizes and then I take every minute as it comes,that's all we can do.....and somehow make it through another day.Once we accept that we can't control everything but that our minds are so amazing we can overcome anything.Love yourself every day,yes,when you wake in the morning love yourself even then,tell yourself over an over that your life has meaning,read self=help books,especially by dr.Claire Weeks.It does help,I promise you........another thing Matteo,tom.when you wake up imagine me being there giving you a hug..........a big one.....

Thanks so much JB and Engel!! You're thoughts and words bring great relief. I do believe that self-love is key, but it's so hard to do sometimes. As far as FEAR goes, I have heard that many times and know it's true, but at times like this morning it's very hard to see the evidence as false. I'm struggling to get in a job application right now, but I'll check in a little later.

Thanks again! :smitten:

Matteo

[96...]

Thanks so much JB and Engel!! You're thoughts and words bring great relief. I do believe that self-love is key, but it's so hard to do sometimes. As far as FEAR goes, I have heard that many times and know it's true, but at times like this morning it's very hard to see the evidence as false. I'm struggling to get in a job application right now, but I'll check in a little later.

Thanks again! :smitten:

Matteo

Matteo.... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Just Breathe :smitten:

Matteo  :idiot::(

Hi Matteo,

We haven't really crossed paths yet, sooooo....nice to meetcha!  hey, if I had to get up every morning and try to look for a job right now, I would be WAY into anxiety...OMG.   So I can totally empathasize with your situation.  Although I have to say...I really admire your constrasting talents and abilities.  With all those skills, you'll have more options.  If you found the job of your "dreams" -- what would that be? 

A few years ago, I used to be out in the high-powered corporate world (supposedly...hehehe).  If I tried to start my day without sitting 30 minutes on my meditation cushion with some relaxing music and a candle (even if I couldn't empty my mind),  then I'd get really anxious.  I'd start tearing around like I'd never have enough time to do everything.  Now that I'm recovering from benzos, I find the same routine gets my GABA receptors all in ship-shape, and ready for a more relaxing day. 

adelia

Matteo...is there any way you can get by with the jobs you have right now?  And just take the pressure off for awhile? 

adelia

Hi all, I'm in a very bad way. Woke up this a.m. with a headache (yesterday, too). I'm at a real emotional low, partly due to a phone call from a family member (difficult to explain). I left an emergency message with my M.D. and I'm waiting to hear back. Don't worry, I won't be taking any benzos, but I'm sure he'll want to try a new anti-depressant. When will this emotional torture stop? I'm not sure how much more I can take. I thought I was getting better, then everything seems to have come crashing down. I'm in a lot of fear and I don't seem to be able to "turn it over," as my AA friends and others think I should. I was 7 years sober on 10/6 and I feel I'm at the lowest point ever in my life. Fear, shame, and self-loathing have got me in their grip. This is a nightmare. I have to go now, my head hurts. Thanks so much for all of your support.

Matteo

Hi Matteo,

I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad.  I've been there, I know how devastating it can be. 

I think you've been under a lot of pressure with the job search.  Try to take a break, ok?  And do some things for yourself --even little things to help you feel better.  OK? 

And keep us posted how you're doing...

adelia

Hi, Adelia. Thanks so much for your kind words, i love hearing from you. I wanted to respond to your question about work. Well, I have been working a little, and that work will get me through the month, but those are just little small jobs, nothing regular. Just the same, I may HAVE TO stop working if this depression/whatever continues. There won't be much choice about it. I can't work in this condition. I'm actually supposed to get back to someone (tomorrow at the latest, really)  regarding a freelance website copywriting job, and I'm not sure how I'll be able to do it if things don't brighten a bit. I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow  (emergency appt. - no benzos, though!!!!! - that's how bad it got today) so maybe whatever we try will swing me up, but I know that takes time. I really admire your strategies for living (i.e. meditation, etc.). I go to a meditation meeting once a week, but that's not nearly enough. Anyway, very nice to meet you, too. I'll try to be in touch as best as I can.

:smitten: Matteo

Hi, Adelia. Thanks so much for your kind words, i love hearing from you. I wanted to respond to your question about work. Well, I have been working a little, and that work will get me through the month, but those are just little small jobs, nothing regular. Just the same, I may HAVE TO stop working if this depression/whatever continues. There won't be much choice about it. I can't work in this condition. I'm actually supposed to get back to someone (tomorrow at the latest, really)  regarding a freelance website copywriting job, and I'm not sure how I'll be able to do it if things don't brighten a bit. I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow  (emergency appt. - no benzos, though!!!!! - that's how bad it got today) so maybe whatever we try will swing me up, but I know that takes time. I really admire your strategies for living (i.e. meditation, etc.). I go to a meditation meeting once a week, but that's not nearly enough. Anyway, very nice to meet you, too. I'll try to be in touch as best as I can.

:smitten: Matteo

Hey Matteo, you're in good hands here with adelia! 

Matteo , I know how bad the depression can be,  It knocked me for a loop for over 2 months.  Now that I am off the benzo's , I have no depression anymore, and hope that happens for you sooner than later.

st.

Hi, ST, Pam, Adelia, et. al.

I'm just pasting this in from my response to ST on the "matteo's welcome thread," as it applies to morning anxiety (for sure) and will update you all on the latest news:

Thanks, ST. Your words are extremely helpful, especially since you were only on the benzos for a short time (like me). I've really had a rough time of it this past week, and the mornings seem to get worse by the day. I was able to get an emergency appt. with my psychiatrist this morning, and we talked about all of this stuff. He understood about the w/d's and such, but he wanted to focus on getting me better (w/o benzos; he's never been a fan of them). One of the things that had been going on during my w/d was that I went off of Prozac (low dose 10mg) because he thought it might be contributing to my anxiety. That went well for a while (especially during what I guess was a window), but now, 5 weeks later, I have no antidepressants in my system. So we're trying a low dose of Lexapro to see if that will help. I was going to try to white knuckle it, but my morning freakouts and the daily depression/anxiety was getting to be more than I could bear - dangerously so. I hope this new regimen will help.

Matteo

Hi, ST, Pam, Adelia, et. al.

I'm just pasting this in from my response to ST on the "matteo's welcome thread," as it applies to morning anxiety (for sure) and will update you all on the latest news:

Thanks, ST. Your words are extremely helpful, especially since you were only on the benzos for a short time (like me). I've really had a rough time of it this past week, and the mornings seem to get worse by the day. I was able to get an emergency appt. with my psychiatrist this morning, and we talked about all of this stuff. He understood about the w/d's and such, but he wanted to focus on getting me better (w/o benzos; he's never been a fan of them). One of the things that had been going on during my w/d was that I went off of Prozac (low dose 10mg) because he thought it might be contributing to my anxiety. That went well for a while (especially during what I guess was a window), but now, 5 weeks later, I have no antidepressants in my system. So we're trying a low dose of Lexapro to see if that will help. I was going to try to white knuckle it, but my morning freakouts and the daily depression/anxiety was getting to be more than I could bear - dangerously so. I hope this new regimen will help.

Matteo

Matteo's other thread is here:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=14803.0

Hi people,

Just checking in to say that after the weekend from hell (basically stayed in bed with fitful, nightmarish sleep) I'm doing a bit better. I started a new a/d on Friday (Lexapro), and perhaps that's kicking in a bit. I'm starting to think, though, that most of my morning not-wanting-to-get-up-but-staying-in-bed-is-hell syndrome (otherwise known as NWTGUBSIBIH) is related to panic about work and money and intensified to the extreme by benzo w/d. I know that the solution to panic and fears is to walk through them, but oh how hard that is when in w/d mode. Ugh.

I am doing that to the best of my ability, but I feel like a crazy person trying to impersonate a sane one . . . a tough act.

Matteo

mmcel,  yes the depression lifted completey once I hit .6 mg on my taper.  I was also put on wellbutrin and nortryptoline, and still am on it, so either the withdrawl from benzo did it or the antid's ...

for now its great to be depression free, so am not going to change any thing for time being

st.

Well, I haven't been in this blog lately, partly due to my descent into darkness a week or so ago. I guess I fell out of a window. But I was going back to the beginning of the thread and I really enjoyed reading over all the suggestions - so much great info! I was able to clean my house last night and I have to say that it always helps immensely to wake up in a clean house (I don't know about you folks, but these w/ds have wrought havoc on my housecleaning schedule - but that's another story - good that I'm a bachelor). At any rate, here I am, feeling a bit less stressed in the a.m., but that wasn't the case last week. One major help is not forecasting the future. The less of that the better. If I wake up feeling like "I have to fix my life today," then I'm in for trouble. But I'm not doing that today, so out into the world I go!

Matteo :thumbsup:

Hi everyone. I'm getting up now, lagging a bit, but nowhere near that horror that was last week. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the Lexapro kicking in, but I'm sure it's also the fluctuating benzo w/d. Ok, up and atom!

Matteo