Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Menopause/Hormonal Support

[Di...]

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help Diaz... Another question ... Someone mentioned having too much energy on estrogen. That's where I am. Although I still have bad hot flashes, I get that high energy feeling ... Again , not a good energy ... A restless, out of control type feeling. With a little anger or short tempered. I thought was estrogen. Wondered if normal .Also thought maybe I'm just not metabolizing it correctly and it builds up... Or has something to do with the benzo or WD...

I am also taking DIM... Supposedly helpful for converting the bad estrogen into the safe/good estrogen ....

Was on th BC pill for many years . Stopped that about 11 years ago. But never had this kind of problem with BC pill ( synthetic). Just with trying bio identical.

Any thoughts /suggestions appreciated.

I used to feel chilled out from estrogen and now nope - I get that hyped up internal energy feeling

It is weird

I'm regretting not using a progesterone with the estrogen too because I've had two periods in one cycle with some pain... worried about that uterine lining  :-\ I was following the Drs orders but we all know Drs order can leave us in trouble

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [Sm...]

• [...]

• [va...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the thread yet (it's really, really long), but is anyone else here using compounded bioidentical hormones?  That's what I use, and they really make my life easier, and also sex.  I get a combination of bi-est 2mg, test 2mg, dhea 10mg and prog 100mg in a cream I apply to my skin daily.  I also get a vaginal cream with 1mg estrodial and 1mg test I apply nightly.  That was a miracle, because sex had become painful (too dry) and this cleared that problem up right away.  No more pain, no more dryness, great sex again.  :D  Plus, my sex drive came back, with a vengeance! 

I've been told that by using a compounded cream, it bypasses the gut and GABA receptors.  I'm very new at this, so I don't know if this is true or not.  I periodically go through a little spotting, and I have no idea why, but that is the only complaint I have.  I've been taking them for years, but I only started using the vaginal cream about, maybe 1.5 years ago.

Before taking them I was having intense hot flashes, couldn't sleep, would wake up and throw the covers off.  During the day I was constantly shedding clothes and then putting them back on.  The hormones helped, and upping the estrogen helped even more.

Someone mentioned breast pain.  When I upped my estrogen my breast pain subsided, but I have to say, I also lost some weight, and my breasts shrunk back to normal size.  They had become quite large and I hated it.  They hurt all the time.  No longer.

~K  :smitten:

I personally don't like compounded hormone creams, and there are lots of reasons for that, a couple being that there has been evidence of kickbacks from compounding pharmacies to doctors, and some doctors even own these compounding pharmacies, so they have a vested interest in getting women to use them.

There have also been numerous cases where the compounder has used the wrong type of estrogen, and has just basically gotten the prescription wrong. A compounding pharmacy is only as good as one or two pharmacists. However, when you use the regulated hormones you are using things that have stringent and constant quality testing. If you go back to the first post you will see some youtube video links of Dr Elizabeth Vliet. She actually covers compounded creams in one of the videos (the first one from memory).

Anyway, there really isn't any need to use compounded creams. It is true that using a transdermal application (ie putting something on your skin) is probably better than taking it orally, but there are a couple of different options available for regulated hormones that are available from a regular doctor and pharmacist (ie they aren't compounded). You can use patches or gel application for estradiol and you can use a regulated natural (bioidentical) progesterone called Utrogestan or Prometrium (depending on what country you are in) which can be prescribed by your doctor. You can also get "synthetic" progesterones (progestins) in patch form.

So you do have a lot of different options by just using the regulated and approved products. No need for compounding at all. For a number of years now (thanks mainly to Oprah and Suzanne Somers) women have been lead to believe that the only way they can get “bioidentical” or natural hormones is to have them compounded, and this is just not true.

However, hormone treatment basically just gets down to what works for you, and what you feel most comfortable using. If you are doing well on the compounded creams than that's great. I just personally prefer not to use them.

Yes, I know how some people bash compounding pharmacies, and it's quite possible that some of them are crooked, however, all of them aren't, and it costs a fraction of what a drug company charges for the same thing, and they're natural.  For example, a tube of Estrace costs over $200/month and most insurance won't cover it (and I have absolutely no idea if estrace is natural and made from plants, or not).  And that's *just* for estrogen.  For everything I get it costs me around $100/month (which admittedly is a lot).  The pharmacy I use is locally owned, and I've met the pharmacists there.  I trust them, and I've never had a problem with them or the quality of the creams.  I know a lot of other people who use that pharmacy as well, and they've never had problems either.

I don't really see a conflict in doctors having a stake in compounding pharmacies, as long as everything is above board.  My doctor didn't push me to use compounded hormones, I asked for them.  Not all doctors will prescribe them.  Also, it isn't uncommon for doctors to get kickbacks from drug companies, or to be "guided" into prescribing "off label" drugs by salespeople who know nothing about the dangers of what they're telling doctors to do, or about the actual drugs they're selling.  So the question is, which is worse?  I know my doctor also prescribes all the things you mentioned, he doesn't just prescribe compounded hormones, although I believe he does favor them.

Aren't "synthetic" hormones made from horse urine?  (I'm asking because I'm not sure.)  If so, those the ones used that caused cancer and heart disease in studies.  I wouldn't take those if they paid me.  I only want to use something natural.

As far as "regulated" goes, benzos are "regulated" drugs.  And we all know how that turned out.  (sorry, I'm not meaning to sound snippy.  I have issues when it comes to anything that is "regulated" by the government, because it's money going into the hands of big pharmaceutical companies, and they don't care about the safety of their products, they only care if they make money off of them.  We also know they will lie about their products and make up lies about competition in order to keep their edge.  The fact that we're all here discussing the problems of detoxing off benzos and the dangerous side effects just proves my point.  I'm really not trying to be disagreeable, so I hope this is taken in the spirit in which it's meant.  I know I can come off a little... strong, sometimes.  I'm not trying to be.  Truly.  <3)

I honestly don't think you can compare benzos with regulated hormones. If doctors actually prescribed benzos as they are meant to be prescribed (ie no longer than a couple of weeks), then there wouldn't be all the problems we have. It's also a bit unfair to label everything the same way. There are many life saving medications produced by the very same pharma companies that produce benzos.

It really depends on what "synthetic" hormones you are talking about. No hormones are really synthetic in nature. They are all produced using some kind of natural product. Certainly some estrogens are equine in nature, but those are the older estrogens that hopefully will eventually be phased out.

Also, it's a bit cut and dried to say that they are the ones that were found to cause problems. That was from the WHI study, which was a very flawed study done more than 15 years ago, and has now been completely dismissed by the International Menopause Society. Basically they used women who were over 60, so were much older than the age that women are normally prescribed HRT, and were therefore already more prone to cancers and diseases. So it wasn’t an accurate conclusion to make that the HRT was solely responsible. Unfortunately the media made more mileage out of reporting the skewed version of the study, and that’s why so many women are still scared to use HRT even today. 

The better type of estrogen to use is estradiol, which is regulated, bioidentical and natural, and is available in patch, tablet and gel. It’s produced using plant products, and is synthesized in such a way as to identically match the molecules in human hormones. This is exactly the same thing that is in your compounded cream, provided your pharmacist is using estradiol. Some of them don't. They use a different and cheaper estrogen called estriol, which is not the estrogen that women need in menopause. It is the estrogen that is mainly produced during pregnancy.

With the progestogens (both progesterone and progestin), they are also produced from plant products, but progesterone is synthesized, like estradiol, to be bioidentical and natural. Once again, this would be exactly the same progesterone that is in the compounded cream.

As far as cost goes, I don't know what that’s like in other countries, but I do know that in Australia compounded hormones are very expensive. A friend of mine uses them and I know she pays around $100 per month, which seems to be similar to what you are paying.  On the other hand my total cost per month for the regulated hormones is less than $20. According to what I’ve read about HRT in other countries, it would appear that generally compounded hormones are much more expensive than regulated hormones.

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but the bottom line is that no one needs to use compounded hormones to get natural hormones. However, like I said everyone needs to use what is right for them, as long as they are making their decisions based on accurate information.

I will add something that I just thought of, and I think this is one of the most worrying things about using compounded creams. There haven’t been any studies to conclusively prove that topical progesterone can effectively oppose estrogen, which can lead to endometrial hyperplasia. Natural progesterone is a very unstable hormone, and the regulated progesterone (suspended in oil in a capsule) and progestins need to be taken orally or vaginally to be viable and effective.

This is a very interesting article I found recently. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2219716/

Diaz-Pam, I'll check out the things you mentioned.  I certainly don't want to be taking progesterone that is ineffective, but I've never heard of vaginal progesterone before.  I honestly don't see what difference it would make where the cream is dispensed, on the skin or, you know, inside.  But, I like to keep an open mind, and I'm always open to hearing new information.  :)

I get two kinds of estrogens, the one I use vaginally is estradiol, the one in the cream is called BiEst and I think it's a combination of two different estrogens.  I guess I'll have to find out what they are, and speak to my doctor about this if what you say is true.  Is there a way to find out for sure what they're using and where they source it from?

Thanks for the info. 

btw, when I said I don't trust big pharma, I meant it.  yes, they do make some life saving drugs, however, they also keep life saving drugs from people who can't afford them (like AIDS drugs going to Africa) and, this might sound conspiratorial but I have very good sources; they also have the ability to actually cure many diseases, like cancer, but don't, because it's more profitable for them to treat people than cure them.  They create vaccines that are suspect to causing autism and other illnesses in children, and I could go on and on.  the truth is, illicit drugs are less dangerous and probably more helpful in some cases (like marijuana), but they remain illegal for a reason.  Lobbyists.  You can't patent a plant, and that plant can cure, or help, a lot of people with a lot of diseases that make you very, very sick, like lupus and cancer.  (well, you could't patent plants before, but Monsanto has changed a lot of that.)  Anyway, I know this isn't the place to talk about political issues, but this is also a health issue.  Also, some people get addicted to benzos in as little as two weeks, so even taken as directed in a supposed "safe" way, they could still get very sick.  I met someone on another board who only took them for two weeks, and went through two years of a brutal, brutal taper and detox.  From two weeks.  go figure.  Something this toxic should not be allowed in the hands of patients, only in hospitals.  Just my very humble opinion.  No offense meant in any way.  <3

Usually Prometrium or Utrogestan (the regulated progesterone) is licenced to be used orally. However, in some countries (mostly in Europe where they are leaps and bounds ahead of other countries when it comes to hormone treatments) it is licenced to be used vaginally. For a lot of women this is a very effective way of using it because they can experience side effects when taking it orally. It can also be taken in a lower dose when used vaginally.

I honestly don't know the science behind taking prog transdermally versus orally/vaginally. However I have read on numerous medical sites and books where the transdermal application of progesterone is just not effective enough to oppose estrogen. So I believe it.

However, I'm not totally convinced that natural progesterone of any kind (either regulated or compounded, or taken orally/vaginally or transdermally) is enough to totally oppose estrogen. I don't have any proof of that. Only what I have experienced myself. So I have made the decision to not use it at all and I have switched to medroxyprogesterone in tablet form, and I will probably switch to patches in the near future.

Regarding Bi-est, I don't have any personal knowledge at all about it, but it was mentioned in the link I posted above. So you might what to have a look at it. I'd also encourage you to wade through the links I have in the first post. They are all recognised and reputable medical links that I have found over a period of time, and with the help from medical friends. This is another reputable link that argues against the use of compounded hormones. http://www.menopause.org.au/for-women/information-sheets/34-bioidentical-hormones-for-menopausal-symptoms

Also, the active ingredients in compounded hormones aren't produced by the compounding pharmacist. They are bought in powder form from guess where - pharma companies. All the pharmacist does is add some skin cream (probably sorbolene) to it, and then charges you a lot more for it. So you're not getting anything more "natural" than if you skipped the middle man and bought directly from the pharma company, that's provided of course the pharmacist is actually using the right ingredients and amounts, and you've really got no way of nothing that.

I'm honestly not going to get into the conspiracies surrounding medical issues, because I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories, and I really don't want to take this thread in that direction. My only intention here is to try to counter all the misinformation that is found on the internet with some actual facts.

There is big business behind all kinds of medication - even the compounded hormones. There is also a lot of money to be made in scaring women away from using pharma grade products and into using the online and compounded hormone creams too. Just take a quick look around google and see how many sites there are selling this stuff.

However, it's not true that you can't patent a plant. A lot of the medications pharmas produce originate from plants. One of the lies that surrounds the campaign for compounded hormones is that you have to have them compounded because the pharma companies aren't interested in producing natural hormones from plants because they can't put a patent on them, yet Big Pharma does produce natural hormones that are produced from plants. That's what regulated hormones estradiol and progesterone are. So talk about conspiracies. It's just one more piece of misinformation aimed at women, and unless they know where to look to find the right information they believe it.

Have just started adding estrogen to my BHRT

started on Bi-est but this is not covered by my extended health

benefits and is in cap form wondering if Estradiol patch has better absorption

than oral route. Would like thoughts about same.

I don't have any personal knowledge about Bi-est, apart from it being a compounded hormone, so therefore it's not something I would use (for the reasons I've given in the above posts), but it's an individual choice. Maybe other ladies who are using it could chime in.

The method of delivery of hormones is also an individual choice, and all you can do is experiment with different types to find out which one suits you best. Technically transdermal application (patch or gel) is supposed to be better than oral, because it bypasses the liver, but it really depends on whether transdermal suits you. Some women may not be able to absorb hormones this way, while some women may not adequately absorb hormones orally either.

I have tended to switch and change my hormones over the last year or so, but I think the main reason I have had to do that is because I was doing a benzo taper. Now that I have very little (or hopefully none by now) valium in my system I can already feel a lot more stable, particularly with my use of a progestogen.

Have just started adding estrogen to my BHRT

started on Bi-est but this is not covered by my extended health

benefits and is in cap form wondering if Estradiol patch has better absorption

than oral route. Would like thoughts about same.

I take Bi-est, along with testosterone, dhea and progesterone.  I originally took it in pill form, now I take it in a cream.  I also use estradiol vaginally along with testosterone, and everything has worked very well for me.  Really took away the hot flashes, and when I started using the vaginal cream, it brought back my sex drive.  I love compounded hormones.

Hi sisters :smitten:  I had a total hysterectomy 3 yrs ago, really stupid.  I wanted to keep an ovary, but this aggressive gyno took both anyway  :tickedoff: and there was nothing wrong with them!  I had some painful periods, I think my judgement was affected by the pills I was on at the time.  I waited 6 months to go on hormones, they were compounded natural ones, not sure of name.  Waiting was a  HUGE mistake.  I had vibrations in arms, sweated sticky non-stop.  Finally couldn't take it anymore, my female PC doc put me on Estradoil.  Now I'm much better. 

I have question......  I am very sore in there during sex.  Lubrication doesn't help much.  I feel bad for my husband.  I don't even desire sex that much now, but I am in W/D still.  What solutions are there for vaginal soreness?

Another question, does my HRT affect my W/D negatively?  I couldn't read all this today, I have a bad headache.  Thanks for any answers.  :smitten:

MG50

Hi Mountain

I'm sorry you've been through all that, but I'm happy to hear the estradiol is doing the trick. I'm afraid I really don't know very much about hysters. I have my head well and truly in the sand about that because even though I know it would solve my progesterone issues, I just don't want to think about it.

You might be interested in a forum called HysterSisters. It might be good to chat to other ladies in your situation. http://www.hystersisters.com/

Have you talked to your doctor about the soreness problem? I know you can get a topical vaginal cream that contains estrogen and a lot of women need to use it for the problems you are having. The estrogen in the cream would probably help more than just a regular lubricant. Here in Australia it's called Ovestin or Vagifem, but it could be called something different in other countries. Maybe also your dose of estradiol might need to be increased.

If you are only taking estradiol I wouldn't worry too much about it affecting your withdrawal. Most women seem to have problems with progesterone in withdrawal, and seeing as you don't need to take that you should be okay.

Hi Mountain

I'm sorry you've been through all that, but I'm happy to hear the estradiol is doing the trick. I'm afraid I really don't know very much about hysters. I have my head well and truly in the sand about that because even though I know it would solve my progesterone issues, I just don't want to think about it.

You might be interested in a forum called HysterSisters. It might be good to chat to other ladies in your situation. http://www.hystersisters.com/

Have you talked to your doctor about the soreness problem? I know you can get a topical vaginal cream that contains estrogen and a lot of women need to use it for the problems you are having. The estrogen in the cream would probably help more than just a regular lubricant. Here in Australia it's called Ovestin or Vagifem, but it could be called something different in other countries. Maybe also your dose of estradiol might need to be increased.

If you are only taking estradiol I wouldn't worry too much about it affecting your withdrawal. Most women seem to have problems with progesterone in withdrawal, and seeing as you don't need to take that you should be okay.

Diaz, thanks for answering.  I was on hystersisters before and after hysterectomy, it's just harder to get correct info on there than here.  I've heard about that cream.  Guess I could give it a whirl. 

MG50 :thumbsup:

I don't have much personal experience with HysterSisters. I've just come across it quite a few times when I've been searching for hormone information.

Yeah, give the cream a go. It could just be what you are needing.

Hi sisters :smitten:  I had a total hysterectomy 3 yrs ago, really stupid.  I wanted to keep an ovary, but this aggressive gyno took both anyway  :tickedoff: and there was nothing wrong with them!  I had some painful periods, I think my judgement was affected by the pills I was on at the time.  I waited 6 months to go on hormones, they were compounded natural ones, not sure of name.  Waiting was a  HUGE mistake.  I had vibrations in arms, sweated sticky non-stop.  Finally couldn't take it anymore, my female PC doc put me on Estradoil.  Now I'm much better. 

I have question......  I am very sore in there during sex.  Lubrication doesn't help much.  I feel bad for my husband.  I don't even desire sex that much now, but I am in W/D still.  What solutions are there for vaginal soreness?

Another question, does my HRT affect my W/D negatively?  I couldn't read all this today, I have a bad headache.  Thanks for any answers.  :smitten:

MG50

Hi Mountaingirl: If you haven't checked it out yet , there is a website called Surviving Surgical Menopause ( Just google that and the name of the website pops up ( something like " Surmenoblogspot). I  received some great info there after my total hysterectomy. The moderator of the board "Framboise" is very knowledgable Re: different HRT's and there is a lot of good articles and research there. I had to try several methods of Estradiol delivery systems ( Gel and 2 different kinds of patches before I found one that worked) and it does not appear to be interfering with my tapering of Ativan . Hope you find this helpful.

MG50

Hi Mountaingirl: If you haven't checked it out yet , there is a website called Surviving Surgical Menopause ( Just google that and the name of the website pops up ( something like " Surmenoblogspot). I  received some great info there after my total hysterectomy. The moderator of the board "Framboise" is very knowledgable Re: different HRT's and there is a lot of good articles and research there. I had to try several methods of Estradiol delivery systems ( Gel and 2 different kinds of patches before I found one that worked) and it does not appear to be interfering with my tapering of Ativan . Hope you find this helpful.

ty!! I will check it out. :thumbsup:

Hello,

I'm so glad you all are here. I experienced surgical menopause in 2011. Just before the surgery I had for several months tapered off a low-dose SSRI and clonazepam (1mg). 2 months after the surgery I began to experience what I now know to be severe PWS. I reinstated clonazepam a month later, and I am ready to free myself from this crazy drug once and for all, since experiencing what feels like a mixed bag of symptoms including tolerance withdrawal for the past few months. I'm doing this without the support of a doctor b/c it's been a real challenge trying to find one that will truly listen to me. I also have a history of Hashimoto's thyroid disorder and what I believe to be chronic adrenal fatigue. Quite a few symptoms overlap each other, according to all the research I've done...it's been a long and frustrating journey back to recovering my health and life.

I'm planning a liquid titration withdrawal at the end of the week. I am lactose intolerant and wonder if you have any suggestions for alternative liquids?

Thanks again and many blessings to you all.  :smitten:

Hello,

I'm so glad you all are here. I experienced surgical menopause in 2011. Just before the surgery I had for several months tapered off a low-dose SSRI and clonazepam (1mg). 2 months after the surgery I began to experience what I now know to be severe PWS. I reinstated clonazepam a month later, and I am ready to free myself from this crazy drug once and for all, since experiencing what feels like a mixed bag of symptoms including tolerance withdrawal for the past few months. I'm doing this without the support of a doctor b/c it's been a real challenge trying to find one that will truly listen to me. I also have a history of Hashimoto's thyroid disorder and what I believe to be chronic adrenal fatigue. Quite a few symptoms overlap each other, according to all the research I've done...it's been a long and frustrating journey back to recovering my health and life.

I'm planning a liquid titration withdrawal at the end of the week. I am lactose intolerant and wonder if you have any suggestions for alternative liquids?

Hi Ainwonderland,

If you look in Diaz-Pam's signature there is a link to instructions for creating a vodka solution.  You can look at the link in my signature for a suspension using ora-plus fluid and you can even substitute coconut milk if you wish.

Good Luck with your taper!

Hello,

Hi AinWanderland

I'm sorry to hear you've had so many problems, but at least a liquid taper should help make your withdrawal a lot easier. I don't have much experience with clonazepam, but as Eliz said we both have some links in our signatures that will hopefully give you some basic ideas for a liquid taper.

If you haven't already, maybe you could check in on the klonopin support thread. The people there will be able to help you fine tune a tapering method. Here's the link. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=57791.0

Hi ladies

This group is always ao helpful so I am back. Towards the end of my taper starting in March I have skipped a few periods. I jumped July 11th  I seem to get a period  every other month. I had a period in August then two weeks later I thought I was ovulating but had what seemed like another period. At first it was spotting but lasted a week, it was not ovulation spotting and more like a period. Now I have skipped my period for September, I really don't know what is going on.  I am worried about it as I have never had issues like this. I was completely checked out last September. I even had an ultrasound because I have such painful ovulation. I'm not sure if I should attempt birth control because it was bad for my mental state not in Benzo withdrewal. I am concerned about pregnancy too, I usually track my ovulation but that seems impossible now. How long can it take for my body to sort this all out. On a positive note I feel real good most days. I have a lot of energy, manageable anxiety and the waves are less and less. It's just my hormones that can't seem to get right.

Hi Crazi

So are you around the peri/meno age? If you are then what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Hormone levels can just go completely berserk and anything can happen. My periods actually got closer together for a few years, and then I'd have a few months where I'd have nothing at all, then they'd go back to normal for a while, then they'd get further apart, then another break for a few months. It was really frustrating.

If that's not the problem, and this is purely because of benzos, I'm not really sure how long it would take for things to settle down, but they certainly should. It's still fairly early days since you jumped, so hopefully things might be getting better by the end of the year.

It's good to hear that you're feeling generally pretty good though. Sorry, I haven't been very helpful have I. Hopefully some other ladies will chime in.

Do any of you have breast pain?  I've recently just started my estrogen back after taking it almost twenty years after a hysterectomy.  I stopped it for about a year.  I have had the breast pain in one breast only since tapering benzos, and had it before I started the estrogen back.  I have had a mammogram of this breast, but not an ultrasound.  Since they didn't find anything abnormal with the mammogram one wasn't ordered. It just worries me somewhat, although I know breast pain is usually not a symptom of breast cancer. It is just weird that it is only in one breast.

Mama