Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who switched BACK from V. to a different benz because they could not tolerate V.  I am so very sick.  It's been almost 4 weeks since I was "stabilized" on 10 mg and I'm afraid of falling into tolerance/withdrawl again if I don't start my taper.  BUT, I am nauseous, have lost an alarming amount of weight, have a horrible histamine/adrenaline rush in the morning that leaves me shaking for 2 hours; itching, red patches, deep sadness/depression (which I've never had).  Is this all possible from the V.?  I've read that it prevents your body from breaking down histamine.

I'm wondering if I need to switch back to K. (what originally got me in this mess) for my taper.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who switched BACK from V. to a different benz because they could not tolerate V.  I am so very sick.  It's been almost 4 weeks since I was "stabilized" on 10 mg and I'm afraid of falling into tolerance/withdrawl again if I don't start my taper.  BUT, I am nauseous, have lost an alarming amount of weight, have a horrible histamine/adrenaline rush in the morning that leaves me shaking for 2 hours; itching, red patches, deep sadness/depression (which I've never had).  Is this all possible from the V.?  I've read that it prevents your body from breaking down histamine.

I'm wondering if I need to switch back to K. (what originally got me in this mess) for my taper.

I really struggled when I switched from Xanax to Valium.  It took me a long time to get use to it but I waited so long I decided not to switch back.  My only good advice , is if you are going to switch back , do it quickly.  No one can tell you what is best for you.  It could work out really well or you could have problems.  Your body could adapt to the Valium shortly , everyone is so different.  It does sound like you are having a lot of symptoms.  K also has a decent half life.  Maybe others will come on and give their stories.  You can also go to the search engine and put in switching back from Valium to Klonipin and I am sure a bunch of information will come up.  Good luck!!  We are always here for you  :) Mary 🙋🏼😘

Hi There,

I'm sorry to hear you struggling so much.  It could be hard to go back because of the half life differences but others have done it and tapered off of Klonopin directly with success.  Another option may be librium, which has a similar half life to Valium.  It's a little more difficult to taper from as it is in capsule form only but plenty do it as well.  I'm not sure how it impacts histamine so may want to research.

Hang in there and best wishes!

Hi.

I have a few questions.  In your signature it says you c/t from K in March, so when did you c/t?  When were you put on V?  Why did you go on V and not K, was it strictly for tapering purposes, or did K affect you too? The c/t itself will cause severe problems (as you well know) and then changing benzo’s can cause there own problems too.  I c/o from K to V and I did not follow the Ashton Manual protocol and was extremely sick for weeks because of it.  So it can take a long time for the body to adjust to to the new benzo, and for you that is now Valium.  I know 4 weeks feels like a long time, but in the world of benzo’s and stabilizing that isn’t always the case.  This is why I asked the questions. 

It is possible you are still very sick from the cold turkey and you just haven’t stabilized yet....again, I am saying “possible”. 

If you do chose to cross back over to Klonopin, my suggestion would be to follow the Ashton protocol. 

Hopefully others will jump in and can offer advice and help too.  We are all here to help you and support you to the best of our ability :thumbsup:

Marie

Hi Mary,

Great to see you again on BB. I hope you're feeling better.

How's your back atm? Any less painful? i do hope so.

Stay safe.

Have a nice weekend!

Trochsetter

Hi.

I have a few questions.  In your signature it says you c/t from K in March, so when did you c/t?  When were you put on V?  Why did you go on V and not K, was it strictly for tapering purposes, or did K affect you too? The c/t itself will cause severe problems (as you well know) and then changing benzo’s can cause there own problems too.  I c/o from K to V and I did not follow the Ashton Manual protocol and was extremely sick for weeks because of it.  So it can take a long time for the body to adjust to to the new benzo, and for you that is now Valium.  I know 4 weeks feels like a long time, but in the world of benzo’s and stabilizing that isn’t always the case.  This is why I asked the questions. 

It is possible you are still very sick from the cold turkey and you just haven’t stabilized yet....again, I am saying “possible”. 

If you do chose to cross back over to Klonopin, my suggestion would be to follow the Ashton protocol. 

Hopefully others will jump in and can offer advice and help too.  We are all here to help you and support you to the best of our ability :thumbsup:

Marie

Thank you Marie and everyone who has chimed in on this!

Yes, I C/T K. after 18 doses in 38 days. It was enough to put me into dependence, but I didn't know it, so hence the C/T.  The V. is what they "stabilized" me on after the K. C/T.  I felt physically fine on the K. until I started getting withdrawls.  Early on, when I was taking it, it just took my anxiety away and I was feeling great- walking 5 miles, keeping up with three active kids, etc.... I am bed-bound since either the C/T K. and/or the Valium.  I've wondered as well if it was more due to the C/T than the V.  I'm wondering if I should take the genesight test? I saw a new psych. the other day.  She was not sold on the idea of going back to K. and instead wants me to taper down 1 mg in two weeks  :P  I'm nervous about it, but I'm giving it a try because I can't imagine feeling more miserable/depressed/anxious/nauseous.  I'm losing weight so fast it scares me.  She didn't seem concerned that I was at 100 lbs. What a mess this whole thing is.  I have never been depressed in my life, but I sure am now.  Thank you for offering your support.

Hi.

Marie

Thank you Marie and everyone who has chimed in on this!

Yes, I C/T K. after 18 doses in 38 days. It was enough to put me into dependence, but I didn't know it, so hence the C/T.  The V. is what they "stabilized" me on after the K. C/T.  I felt physically fine on the K. until I started getting withdrawls.  Early on, when I was taking it, it just took my anxiety away and I was feeling great- walking 5 miles, keeping up with three active kids, etc.... I am bed-bound since either the C/T K. and/or the Valium.  I've wondered as well if it was more due to the C/T than the V.  I'm wondering if I should take the genesight test? I saw a new psych. the other day.  She was not sold on the idea of going back to K. and instead wants me to taper down 1 mg in two weeks  :P  I'm nervous about it, but I'm giving it a try because I can't imagine feeling more miserable/depressed/anxious/nauseous.  I'm losing weight so fast it scares me.  She didn't seem concerned that I was at 100 lbs. What a mess this whole thing is.  I have never been depressed in my life, but I sure am now.  Thank you for offering your support.

Just my 2 cents and coming from my own miserable experience of not being stabilized and continuing with a taper of 1mg every 2 weeks, and I just kept getting worse.  I did have a few windows with in those 4 months, but most of the time I was pretty much bed bound with the benzo flu.  So I personally would hold for a little while longer....I have seen 6 weeks + seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of bb’s around here.  And I would say for my own horrid c/o, it was probably about the 6 week mark where I started to have a few windows, so that is when my body started to adjust to the Valium.  If you are already feeling so horrible, cutting 1mg, might make things really bad.  I said “might”....if you are determined to cut....I would only cut .5mg. 

Again, I hope you will consider giving it a little more time, and see what happens.  Being in a better place before cutting is the best option.

We are here for you whatever you decide to do.  Remember you always have options for healthcare provider’s too....ones that will work with you :thumbsup:

Marie

Hi Mary,

Great to see you again on BB. I hope you're feeling better.

How's your back atm? Any less painful? i do hope so.

Stay safe.

Have a nice weekend!

Trochsetter

Hey Trouch!  Thanks, it is slowly getting better.  I am doing easy exercises and my husband massages me.  I see you getting lower and lower, good for you!!  I will be waiting to congratulate you when you are off!  Good to see you posting more too  ;);D:smitten:

Hi Mary,

Glad to hear you're slowly getting better.

Exercise is very important.

The massages sound just wonderful!

I hope to gently walk off in about 2 months time. Can hardly wait...

Stay strong!

Hi Mary,

Glad to hear you're slowly getting better.

Exercise is very important.

The massages sound just wonderful!

I hope to gently walk off in about 2 months time. Can hardly wait...

Stay strong!

Keep me posted!!  :D

Does anyone know where in the US Mayne diazepam is available?  The company says they are still in supply but I cannot find where.  All pharmacies in California seem to have switched to Mylan or Teva and I’ve spent so many months searching, then  trying to cross to all these different brands with worsening symptoms.  I had already hit severe acute wds in November last year, due to brand issues.  Still haven’t recovered from this crash and feel so set back. 

Mylan seemed to be ok at first but as the first week went on, I began having serious acute wds intensify and some come back along with stinging itching all over my body under my skin, rashes, super bloodshot eyes, and the dreadful chest electrocution.

Also tried crossing to Roche but this brand, while very effective, causes me  GI shutdown (severe unmanageable constipation and fecal impactions, inability to eat) and unlivable depression. 

Teva was a big no in every way, caused me to have severe rage and worsening  akathisia, felt like I was plugged into a live wire. Very sick.

I’m beyond weary and so worn out from this situation.  Just want to get the generic my body is used to and do a long hold due to the shock this has all caused to my system.

I’m almost out of my stash of Mayne so I have to make another change soon if I can’t get it.  I am terrified.  Been hanging on in an awful state for so long. 

Any info or ideas please?  Thank you! 

Does anyone know where in the US Mayne diazepam is available?  The company says they are still in supply but I cannot find where.  All pharmacies in California seem to have switched to Mylan or Teva and I’ve spent so many months searching, then  trying to cross to all these different brands with worsening symptoms.  I had already hit severe acute wds in November last year, due to brand issues.  Still haven’t recovered from this crash and feel so set back. 

Mylan seemed to be ok at first but as the first week went on, I began having serious acute wds intensify and some come back along with stinging itching all over my body under my skin, rashes, super bloodshot eyes, and the dreadful chest electrocution.

Also tried crossing to Roche but this brand, while very effective, causes me  GI shutdown (severe unmanageable constipation and fecal impactions, inability to eat) and unlivable depression. 

Teva was a big no in every way, caused me to have severe rage and worsening  akathisia, felt like I was plugged into a live wire. Very sick.

I’m beyond weary and so worn out from this situation.  Just want to get the generic my body is used to and do a long hold due to the shock this has all caused to my system.

I’m almost out of my stash of Mayne so I have to make another change soon if I can’t get it.  I am terrified.  Been hanging on in an awful state for so long. 

Uni, I am so sorry that happened to you.  i have never heard of that brand but I will do some searching around TX.    :smitten:

Uni, it looks like Mayne bought out several other pharmaceutical companies but are still active.  I found a number 1-809-344-8661 but they are closed.  I was just going to ask them where Mayne Diazapam was distributed.  I will try calling tomorrow when they are open.    They bought Teva and several others.  I am so sorry,  I know you have had a hard time.  I really hope we can find it. 

LY, Mary 💕

I live in CA and just switched back to pills and was concerned about the Mylan( I wasn’t happy with those) so I was about to pay out of pocket for brand, but Walgreens in the Bay Area had Mayne.  I am going to request Mayne again for my refill, a week before it’s due.  So if you have a Wallgreens, check with them.

Marie

I live in CA and just switched back to pills and was concerned about the Mylan( I wasn’t happy with those) so I was about to pay out of pocket for brand, but Walgreens in the Bay Area had Mayne.  I am going to request Mayne again for my refill, a week before it’s due.  So if you have a Wallgreens, check with them.

Marie

Oh that's great Marie!  Uni is so nice and has had a rough taper.  I sure hope that information helps her  :)

Marie

Oh that's great Marie!  Uni is so nice and has had a rough taper.  I sure hope that information helps her  :)

Thanks Mary....I’m sorry to hear she has had such a rough taper.  I hope this does help her.  And I hope I can keep getting it too.  I don’t want the Mylan that they usually carried.

Marie

Wow.  I am all new to this and V. is making me so sick.  I am really sensitive to medications, and wondering if something that seems as benign as brand would help alleviate some of my symptoms (nausea leading to lots of weight loss being the worst).  My V. is all TEVA.  Do you think it would be worth asking my local pharmacies about other brands?  Or, at this point after 4 weeks of Teva just keep going?

Mary! 

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help.  This is so kind of you! 

Yes Mayne bought TEVA and some other companies, I’d heard.  I had no idea what it all meant, as far as actual drug goes.  My crash was like another CT.

It has been so bad since last year, and it was already pretty bad as you know. 

I just spoke with my insurance company who connected me with their online pharmacy, Express Scripts.  The pharmacist said they changed the recipe of Mayne last year and Mayne sold their old recipe to a company called PD-RX and looks like Watson diazepam is the old Mayne.  This is so confusing.  I was wondering why last summer my pills were no longer imprinted with DAN 5621 and instead have MYX 941 imprints, but didn’t think it an issue..  This pharmacist said the recipe is different and that it makes a big difference in sensitive people.  I don’t know :(

She said she can get them for me.  My doctor just needs to send the rx to them and specify the manufacturer. 

She also told me the corn starch in Roche Valium is what causes many people severe GI distress, which can cause some to feel depressed.  It’s an allergy.  But the allergies to fillers is a thing, overall.  I had no idea until all came crashing down.  Now I understand why I’ve been reading so extrmeely to different brands, no matter how slow I cross to them.  I’m so sensitive it’s crazy. 

This in itself has been a lot of work and caused an added level of trauma. 

I’ll come back and report if I do in fact get the same generic, even if it is now made by a different company.

Thank you so much for responding, it means a lot that you took the time to look into this to help me.  Giving you a big hug right now. 

Love you,

Uni ❤️

Wow.  I am all new to this and V. is making me so sick.  I am really sensitive to medications, and wondering if something that seems as benign as brand would help alleviate some of my symptoms (nausea leading to lots of weight loss being the worst).  My V. is all TEVA.  Do you think it would be worth asking my local pharmacies about other brands?  Or, at this point after 4 weeks of Teva just keep going?

I really feel for you, and empathize.  I’ve had a hell of a time on Valium.  My body has clearly hated it from the start.  I asked my doctor to switch back to Klonopin right after C/O but he said no.  If I could handle it, I’d do it in a heartbeat.  Valium made me so sick  and my light went out.  So much of what I’ve gone through is directly related to Valium itself.  I thought I’d adjust to Valium over time but I never did.  In hindsight, I realize I got further into trouble because I was tapering K too fast.  I was just too impaired at the time to understand that and couldn’t grasp the bigger picture of how important a slow taper is.  Also, in hindsight, I was fresh off a brutal detox CT so I needed to hold and stabilize a good while before starting in on a taper.  But I was clueless and took the wrong advice to get started.  Just sharing my experience in case it can help you in any way.  I do know people who have stabilized on Valium and the depression has gone away.  It just hasn’t been the case for me.  I still wish I could switch back to K, even now.  I just think it would be too big a change at this point. 

It would be worth it to speak with your pharmacist and run by them what you are experiencing.  See what they have to say.  Different drugs and different brands all behave differently for those of us who are sensitive.  Let us know what you find out and what you decide to do.  I hope it gets much better for you!  Hang in there.

EDIT:  I did go through a lot nausea, migraines, insomnia, hallucinations, twitching, etc etc etc  there were horrible K wds when crossing over and for a while after, so you could be experiencing a lot of wd from K which V is not covering.  It just doesn’t have the coverage, or didn’t for me.  Even though it felt like such a heavy drug in a gross way.  Just two different beasts, IMO. 

Hi Uni,

Can you clarify for me what brand you are trying to find then?  I am SO sensitive too, that I think this would be worth looking into for me as well.  I think the fillers can definitely affect us.  V. is making my stomach SO sick after 5 weeks.  I'm worried about being able to make it through a long term taper like this.

Hi Uni,

Can you clarify for me what brand you are trying to find then?  I am SO sensitive too, that I think this would be worth looking into for me as well.  I think the fillers can definitely affect us.  V. is making my stomach SO sick after 5 weeks.  I'm worried about being able to make it through a long term taper like this.

Hi therewouldnenobutterflies,

I like your name, btw. I just added to my precious post.  A lot of what you could be experiencing may be K wds.  I had a really bad time with them for a while.  Nausea was one of them.  Did you feel better on K?  I am not going to tell you to stick it out on Valium, like some did to me, saying it’s going to feel better.  There is no guarantee.  But also, making too many changes pisses the CNS off too.  It’s so hard to know what is right for each of us.  You’re still early in, so if you have a supportive doctor and pharmacist maybe you could try going back?  If the V is really intolerable. 

I was originally on Roche brand Valium  The depression was lethal, when I was fully crossed and off of K.  Probably a double edged sword there.  But I was really, really sick and depressed and couldn’t go to the bathroom.  My GI system shut down and I ended up in ER when not being able to go for 6 weeks.  Around this time my pharmacy switched me to generic Mayne Pharma diazepam side they couldn’t get 2mg pills.  Mayne became unavailable last year so I’ve been using my stash, but running out.  All the while trying to crossover to Roche again, having more depression and GI shut down.  Tried Mylan and got sicker in other ways different to Roche.  Tried Roche again, because I didn’t have any other choices.  TEVA was horrible for me, so I wasn’t going to try that again.  I’ve just been trying to find Mayne.  They are all so different to my body.  I’m very sensitive.  What brand are you on? 

Hi all, new to this support group. I’m having a hell of a time trying to crossover from Ativan to Valium.  I’m extremely kindled and feeling i’ll never make it through this.

TLDR;

Has anyone experienced that valium was much easier to taper post crossover?  I desperately need some hope right now, or at least to know what i’m in for.

I’ve made it from .9mg + 6mg valium to .35mg Ativan and 11mg valium (over about 4 months) and the depression has really started to get to me - from what I hear it’s due to diazepam.

Over the last 10 days I tried just tapering a little bit (.35 to .31mg ativan) without increasing valium just to see what would happen and had horrendous withdrawals.

I’ve decided to be diligent and continue with the planned crossover per ashton.

I’ve seen several posts about this before but it’s hard to search for exactly what i’m looking for. I wanted to hear others experience with Ativan/Valium crossover.  I’m concerned that i’m going to have just as hard a time with valium as i’m having with ativan.

Hi Uni,

A friend send me a note that said "If caterpillars weren't willing to endure cacoons, there would be no butterflies :)

It is impossible to know what to do.  I do feel like a different person.  Depression has never been a thing for me, and wasn't on the K., but, I'm also terrified of switching back and feel like maybe I'll just endure this for hopfully just 10 months while I taper off.  I know... "just" 10 months when each day feels like 10 years.  It's an impossible situation to know what to do about.  Would I be better on K?  I wish I knew.  If I could micro-taper, I would feel a little bit better about it too, but my Dr. won't let me. I'm trying one more Dr. next week....maybe I'll get better support and ideas. 

So, if I call around to pharmacies, I should be asking for Mayne?

Thank you  so much for your support!

Hi therewouldnenobutterflies,

I like your name, btw. I just added to my precious post.  A lot of what you could be experiencing may be K wds.  I had a really bad time with them for a while.  Nausea was one of them.  Did you feel better on K?  I am not going to tell you to stick it out on Valium, like some did to me, saying it’s going to feel better.  There is no guarantee.  But also, making too many changes pisses the CNS off too.  It’s so hard to know what is right for each of us.  You’re still early in, so if you have a supportive doctor and pharmacist maybe you could try going back?  If the V is really intolerable. 

I was originally on Roche brand Valium  The depression was lethal, when I was fully crossed and off of K.  Probably a double edged sword there.  But I was really, really sick and depressed and couldn’t go to the bathroom.  My GI system shut down and I ended up in ER when not being able to go for 6 weeks.  Around this time my pharmacy switched me to generic Mayne Pharma diazepam side they couldn’t get 2mg pills.  Mayne became unavailable last year so I’ve been using my stash, but running out.  All the while trying to crossover to Roche again, having more depression and GI shut down.  Tried Mylan and got sicker in other ways different to Roche.  Tried Roche again, because I didn’t have any other choices.  TEVA was horrible for me, so I wasn’t going to try that again.  I’ve just been trying to find Mayne.  They are all so different to my body.  I’m very sensitive.  What brand are you on?

My dear Uni, I'm so, SO sorry for all of your hellish suffering when you were suffering so bad before.  I'll say a prayer that you are able to get some Mayne diazepam back and that it helps a lot to get you stabilized.  It pisses me off when I hear others say that generics are all the same.  I'm also very sensitive and have had my world turned upside down more than once because of these manufacturer swtiches.  I know you don't want to go through another change but if you can't find the Mayne, maybe the liquid could be a possibility?  Hugs!

There,

Yes, the generic could be part of why you are feeling sick.  Magnolis, if she still checks in, could testify to that also.  TEVA made her very ill and she had to switch to Roche, which helped a lot (or did at the time).

DrugFree,

I'm sorry about the depression from Valium.  I hope it settles for you.  There have been many of us who have done better on Valium, myself included.  I don't consider myself out of the woods until I am off this junk but I'm not sure I would be alive if I hadn't done my crossover.  In the beginning, it was sedating and I couldn't think well but I had incredible anxiety/akathisia and depression on Klonopin, all which were alleviated by Valium.  It's really a toss up but don't lose hope as you are in very early days and it could get better.   

Does anyone else get bad Cycling of symptoms while tapering ? What I mean is just when you think its easing up it and it all comes back with a vengeance  plus some new symptoms on top and this can be on the same day or a day or two apart  :(

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: