Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Work "outside of the home"

[69...]

[69...]

I am a "stay at home" with 2 teenagers.  I've many posts about the value of working to distract.  I can't imagine working right now. My mind is mush, I'm coping with awful anxiety and w/d induced depression.  I pat myself on the back for every breakfast I cook for my kids, trip I make to the store, schlepping, etc. 

It is a full time job taking care of myself.  My days are full of self care so I can be as present as possible during w/d.  Our family needs the money at the same time they know my circumstances and history with stress and I get plenty of support. 

I feel awful when we'll intentioned people ask me what I do.  My response is usually that I've been sick and haven't been able to work "outside" the home.

Anyone out there who had to hold off working until they felt more competent!

There is no way I can work at the moment. U are doing so well looking after your kids. We will get better!    Hugs Pinkee          Sorry , that's all I've got at the moment! 

There is no way I could hold down the job I used to do in this condition. I work from home for myself, not very much the past 8 months either.

I really think the intensity of the w/d is different for people. Same symptoms but much more intense for some. I don't blame anyone for not working, no way in hell it is possible for some of us. It took all my strength and focus for the day just to get up, drive my kids to school and drive back to pick them up during acute. Things are improving slowly now but brain is still too mushy for computer work all day. Would get fired within days. Multi-tasking skills still have not returned.

I'm six months off as of today and still not ready to work. I'm slowly getting there, though, and have begun looking at jobs on jobing.com and other job sites. I'm mostly looking for part-time, low-stress work at first and, once I think I can handle it, I'll go back to what I was doing before (psychiatric social worker -- a pretty high-stress field).

For now, I'm fortunate to have savings and an inheritance that allow me to not have to work until I feel up to it. I'm probably going to look over help-wanted ads for a couple of months and probably get serious in about late February or sometime in March (about 9 or 10 months out from c/t).

[69...]

It is nice to know I'm not alone.  Like you, Innadaze, just cooking is so hard for me.  I had to take my 13 year old to P.T. Friday in horrid rush hour traffic.  I had to gear up for that for 24 hours.  Now, school conferences tonight for my 16 year old.  I just got back from the vet because our dog was puking all day...she is fine $400 later.  I came home to a grumpy 13 year old who was pissed at me because I wasn't home 10 minutes earlier when he "thought" he was going to puke.

I'm done.  My depression worsened over the course of the day.  I can't seem to muster up the emotional strength to go to conferences.  I spared you the other stressful triggers of the day.

My trust fund ran out 30 years ago:).  Despite my husband's profession, we still need the money and we are not lavish folks.  The financial pressure weighs heavy on me.  One more thing, we are selling our house.  Thank goodness no one has died in my family since tapering. 

Those of you who have had to cope with that sort of trauma during w/d or anytime.  What strength you have. 

Sorry if this looks weird.  I use my IPod for many of my posts.  My children have eyes!

Love and Hugs,

WILLDOIT