Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Do the GABA receptors heal during taper?

[ge...]

Hi.

I'm currently tapering my dose and I was wondering if the GABA receptors regenerate during taper? Or does the regeneration begin when you've stopped taking benzos altogether?

Hi.

I'm currently tapering my dose and I was wondering if the GABA receptors regenerate during taper? Or does the regeneration begin when you've stopped taking benzos altogether?

Tapering lowers the amount of the drug in your body. As you lower that, you body has to compensate. So healing takes place while tapering, which is why people taper.

i wouldn't know about a taper since i ct'd even though i tried fo 8 years to taper. but most of the people on here believe that healing definitely does occur while tapering so i would think they are also talking about the fact that the GABA must regenerate and up regulate while tapering.

i also think it's all in the way you are feeling that you will know. if you're having some windows while you're tapering, i would think that some GABA is up regulating.

although now i am confused because i was just on a thread in the sub forum about "GABA antagonists" and someone stated that it wasn't about GaBA up regulating at all but about the strutural damage that occurs at the receptor site that needs to be healed. so many different theories are popping up all over the place. either way, it all needs to be healed and i do believe it can be while tapering, definitely. but that's just my belief.

One part of the recovery process that doesn't get as much attention as GABA, is the Glutamate receptors.

The reason to taper is so that the body can start removing all those extra glutamate receptors (that were created in response to benzo's) and down regulating all that extra glutamate.

Gaba is working in the opposite direction to create more gaba receptors and up regulate gaba.

It is too much of a shock on this system if we stop ct and the lower dosing of benzo's gives the body time to make these reversals.

On this forum there are two schools of opinion on this topic: Many say healing does take place and some say it does not. One of the buddies who has a doctorate in neuroscience believes that healing does take place while tapering. I personally think this to quite possibly be the case. Even though we can't heal 100% until fully off the benzos, I believe that the process of continually decreasing the amount of the drug does allow some healing to take place. 

After 22+ years on the drug and currently in month 29 of microtapering and now almost at 2.9 mg Valium equivalent, I can say, without hesitation, that we do heal on the way down, to what degree depends very much on taper rate according to ones own healing rate, if a taper if too fast, that healing is not likely to be so obvious... which is why some say healing does not even start until off the drug, this is more likely a case of a taper that was too fast... because healing does happen on the way down, if I hold my dose now for 2-3 weeks I feel about 90% normal... if that isn't healing then I don't know what is, I was bedridden in my first year, the difference between then and now is like night and day but the key is to taper according to your own body and we can only do that by listening carefully on the way down, if we feel awful, chances are the taper rate needs to be slowed down... but most definitely I am healing... I have a very long list of symptoms I no longer have and so that has to be healing, others that tapered slow all say they felt healing with every cut also, if I were not healing, there is no way I would be doing a taper as slow as mine is, I am feeling more and more healing every month now.