Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Stomach healing place

[br...]

Day 12 benzo free,  A huge red flag went up yesterday for me. I am like everyone else who is on this hell ride...trying to understand how to get off...yesterday my wife and I made a big connection after I had an EGD done for my stomach to find out for certain I am battling gerd/esophogitis  as my regular doctor thinks. In fact she didnt think the EGD was necessary since all my symptoms were classic gerd.  Well she was dead wrong and now she is fired... Gastro doc gave me a clean bill of health...my stomach is in great shape..no irritation..my duodenum is good..LES working fine..and  my esophagus showed no signs of acid reflux.  As it turns out it was all the gerd meds...Prilosec and zantac that were actually giving me added anxiety leading to stomach discomfort...just take a look at this link and see how many people have similar symptoms to benzo withdrawals..

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=19810&name=PRILOSEC

Now I am not claiming prilosec is making everyone sick...but in my case it was. After jumping off for 2 days my stomach was killing me/typical withdrawal symptom... so doctor said gerd...take 40mg prilosec...but each day my head pressure got worse..stomach got worse...dizzy..lost appetite..insomnia..back on the couch...I felt like I was back in complete benzo withdrawals and was losing my mind...

I stopped the zantac and prilosec 2 days ago and have already felt improvement...then it occured to me that the first round of prilosec was what sent me to the docotor in the first palce....I had taken it for 5 days and each day I was falling apart...the 5th day I was having wild dreams like a bad acid trip....I just never connected the dots from first prilosec dose to this last round... It appears now that the prilosec may have been the very thing that started this benzo hell ride....

Thank God for the internet... if I was at the mercy of these drug pushing doctors I would be taking Zoloft now on top of everything else they have thrown at me... I was so vulnerable and weak that I actually went to a shrink to get any kind of info to explain what was going on...and all he could do was offer another drug/Zoloft.... I tore up the script in the parking lot with what little strength I had left... thank you all my Benzobuddies!

Day 14 benzo free and day4 prilosec/zantac free.... It is truly miraculous how quickly I am recovering now...In just 3 days I have gotten my appetite back and am gaining weight  for the first time in months. I can taste my food and my stomach is growling again. My head pressure has faded to about 10% of what is was..My tinnitus has gotten quieter...my legs are strong/no longer weak and wobbly... :laugh:  Having multiple moments of clarity with tears of joy!  :laugh: My ability to laugh and find humor is coming back... :thumbsup:  and most of all I actually slept 3 hours last night...that is sooooo huge!  During my darkest days I could only dream of making a post like this...I read others that had made a turn for the better and It gave me a big boost in my hopes that someday it will be my turn... Hang in there everyone...it will come!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [br...]

• [ma...]

• [Be...]

• [Bu...]

Hi all, new here. I am currently in a taper off of Ativan...and my"gut symptoms" have been goin on now for about two weeks....it is almost impossible to poop without a laxative tea(the only thing I'm not too scared to try right now) even after drinking lots of it the bm are Soo smaller just more frequent due to being diarreha. Without it it..it is so hard to pass anything....I've been trying yoga, better diet..etc but am really concerned about this symptom, will this go away eventually? Sux...anyways..just thought I'd pop in here and introduce myself..srry for rambling...

Hi Arty,

Sorry you are having rough gut symptoms right now.  With so many GABA receptors in the GI, it seems like many folks have a lot of gut issues.  The nurse practitioner who helped me taper said that benzos and withdrawal can slow down our gut motility and cause a lot of symptoms:  pain, bloating, indigestion, burning, constipation, etc. I've read that aloe vera juice can be helpful for constipation and is very soothing and healing for the GI lining, too.  Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you Burnedout....I actually had some improvement yesterday ...what a relief! My next concern is the weight I've lost...can't seem to put any on and my muscle is disappearing...I'm 6ft and 142 lbs at the moment...everything's bony...and I have zero fat anywhere...it hurts to sit and even lean some places. I am desperately trying to keep gut problems under control so I can gain weight again...I think being this skinny might be also what is making me feel so weak all the time.

I hope you continue to heal and get better as well all the way to 100 percent, always nice to meet a new person on here...

Hi all, new here. I am currently in a taper off of Ativan...and my"gut symptoms" have been goin on now for about two weeks....it is almost impossible to poop without a laxative tea(the only thing I'm not too scared to try right now) even after drinking lots of it the bm are Soo smaller just more frequent due to being diarreha. Without it it..it is so hard to pass anything....I've been trying yoga, better diet..etc but am really concerned about this symptom, will this go away eventually? Sux...anyways..just thought I'd pop in here and introduce myself..srry for rambling...

Hi Arty...You may want to consider getting an EGD...then you will know for sure if you have a stomach issue or your withdrawals are just mimicking gerd symptoms...there are lots of Gaba receptors in the digestive track.. I had an egd and found out I was fine...It helped me clear my mind and realized all the stomach meds were actually making me sick.... also lifted my spirits knowing I had one less health issue to deal with!  ;D

Thank-you Arty and glad you had some improvement.

Sorry to hear you are dealing with a lot of weight loss.  I've read where other folks here have lost weight too much weight with benzos.  Are you able to eat ok? It seems that some can eat ok but, perhaps because their metabolism is so revved up from withdrawal, they just burn through the calories.  Others can't eat very well because of pain, and digestion problems.  I had bad GI problems before benzos and lost too much weight.  I started eating 5-6 small meals a day and supplemented with protein shakes.  The store bought protein shakes were helpful but, I stopped using pea protein shakes because it was high in glutamine which can affect glutamate levels; (I've read).  Some protein powders do contain a lot of glutamine.  Now, I make a homemade shake of coconut/almond milk (dairy issues), nut butter, flax seed and berries, cherries or bananas.  Good protein and calories and easier on the GI.  Collagen powder has been very helpful too.  I also ate poi- taro root powder mixed with water.  It is high in vitamins and calories, hypoallergenic and is easy to digest.  It has been used to help infants with eating problems.  Sorry this is so long but, hope it is helpful.

Thank-you Arty and glad you had some improvement.

Sorry to hear you are dealing with a lot of weight loss.  I've read where other folks here have lost weight too much weight with benzos.  Are you able to eat ok? It seems that some can eat ok but, perhaps because their metabolism is so revved up from withdrawal, they just burn through the calories.  Others can't eat very well because of pain, and digestion problems.  I had bad GI problems before benzos and lost too much weight.  I started eating 5-6 small meals a day and supplemented with protein shakes.  The store bought protein shakes were helpful but, I stopped using pea protein shakes because it was high in glutamine which can affect glutamate levels; (I've read).  Some protein powders do contain a lot of glutamine.  Now, I make a homemade shake of coconut/almond milk (dairy issues), nut butter, flax seed and berries, cherries or bananas.  Good protein and calories and easier on the GI.  Collagen powder has been very helpful too.  I also ate poi- taro root powder mixed with water.  It is high in vitamins and calories, hypoallergenic and is easy to digest.  It has been used to help infants with eating problems.  Sorry this is so long but, hope it is helpful.

Hi Burned out... I basically have been living on smoothies...  I have no desire to eat.....Im down 49lbs in 3 months now...I started at 275 and was 226 this morning...I had the weight to lose for sure but didnt want to lose it like this due to major stomach issues....I still can't figure out wtf is going on... been to every doc there is...I had a egd and doc said digestive track if all good...Benzo w/d symptoms mimic so many other things...I just stated with the DGL licorice and It is defiantly helping... just have to keep on keepin on for now... :thumbsup:

stevozz...what symptoms does the DGL licorice help with? I have ibs like symptoms sometimes with horrible pain. Please let me know how it helps you. Thanks

stevozz...what symptoms does the DGL licorice help with? I have ibs like symptoms sometimes with horrible pain. Please let me know how it helps you. Thanks

DGL Is used for acid reflux... from what I have read it helps protect tissue in the gastro system... here is a link...  http://www.healthline.com/health/digestive-health/dgl-for-acid-reflux#overview1

Hi stevozz:  sorry you aren't able to eat too much right now but, glad you're able to drink the protein shakes. I hope they help you maintain your weight.  It is truly awful how benzo withdrawal makes our GI tract feel for sure.  I'm glad your tests came back ok but, really hope your GI symptoms let up soon and you are able to eat more.  I take DGL too and it is supposed to be very healing for ulcers, acid reflux, etc.  Glad it is helping you  :)  Aloe is very healing, too.

Hi,  Thanks for the info.  Is it aloe juice or aloe gel caps.  I take aloe gel caps two a day and they help with constipation.  Just wondering if I got the juice would it help with burning in gut. 

Hi stomach healing place!! Glad I found you. I have a question. I was on Xanax for about 20 years and tapered over a 2 year period. At about 2 1/2 years off I became very Ill and could not eat solid foods at all. During this time I spent a week in the hospital and also went to Mayo clinic for a 2ND opinion. I've had every test you can Imagine from scopes down mouth and nose to MRI's Ct scans many, many test and all they found was some gastritis. No H Pylori, hernia, nothing.

My sx's are very tight under ribs especially on right side. Bloated, It really does feel sometimes like a knot that moves. I know it sounds strange. I thought for sure it was a hernia but they can't see any. While I was going through this not being able to eat only Ensures they talked me into Lorazapam. Hard to believe my doctor who helped me taper the first time. Anyway I took about 80 Lorazapam over a 4 month time frame and went into w/d again. I am now 9 months Lorazapam free. Never again, I'll just have to die the next time.

So when I was tapering the first time I ended up in the emergency room with this right side pain it was so bad. Is it possible this is all from the benzo? Has anyone else had these kind of sx's? I am now able to eat a few more soft things like egg yolks over easy, blended soups but I haven't had anything like meat or salads in over a year now. My ribs feel very tight most of the time. Thanks for your help!!

Love Jackie :smitten: :smitten:

Hi freeme:  I take aloe caps and find they often help with gut burning especially if I eat something a bit spicy, (can't handle spicy at all).  Sometimes I'll open the capsules and mix them in some water, too.  That's a good idea to try the juice and see if it can coat or sooth your stomach lining!

Hi Jackie:  Congratulations on tapering off the Xanax and Lorazapam.  Glad you are able to eat a few more things but, sorry you are having the right side pain still.  Did the docs ask you about or test your liver, gallbladder or pancreas?  I have read some other posts from people who have right side pain during withdrawal, too.  I do too but, had some right sided gi issues before benzos.  I think withdrawal aggravates them to some extent.  Did the docs mention anything like gastroparesis or SIBO?  The Nurse Practitioner who helped me taper said that benzos and withdrawal can affect our gut motility and cause a lot of digestive issues.

Thanks for the info Burned,  I will try that.  Also the juice.  Now if I could find something to help with the feet and hand burning I would feel so much better.  :smitten:

stevozz...thanks for the reply. I am not having issues with acid reflux so much just everything else. I was on a PPI cuz my ent dr thought I may be having silent reflux due to throat issues I am having but it didn't seem to help so I quit taking it. Has anyone found anything to help with the ibs problems? Please let me know I really need advice. Thank you.

Hi Jackie:  Congratulations on tapering off the Xanax and Lorazapam.  Glad you are able to eat a few more things but, sorry you are having the right side pain still.  Did the docs ask you about or test your liver, gallbladder or pancreas?  I have read some other posts from people who have right side pain during withdrawal, too.  I do too but, had some right sided gi issues before benzos.  I think withdrawal aggravates them to some extent.  Did the docs mention anything like gastroparesis or SIBO?  The Nurse Practitioner who helped me taper said that benzos and withdrawal can affect our gut motility and cause a lot of digestive issues.

Hi Burned out and thank you so much!! I had my gallbladder removed many years ago and after the surgery the doctor said to me we just took a perfectly good gallbladder out so that could have been benzo related Idk. They did look at the liver and pancreas. I also had the eating test and ruled out gastroparesis. I feel at a loss. Do you think it is possible they are not seeing a hernia? maybe it is small? And could a hernia do this?

:smitten: :smitten:

stevozz...thanks for the reply. I am not having issues with acid reflux so much just everything else. I was on a PPI cuz my ent dr thought I may be having silent reflux due to throat issues I am having but it didn't seem to help so I quit taking it. Has anyone found anything to help with the ibs problems? Please let me know I really need advice. Thank you.

Faery... you may want to give Ginger tea a chance...Nothing really to lose...I have been using it for about a week and although it may not be a magic potion for me...it does help with my throat tightness issues... Here is a link that lists the benefits of Ginger tea...I see IBS is one of them....good luck!  http://www.chopra.com/articles/the-health-benefits-of-ginger-tea#sm.0000c56q6t118ad1dxmhbzgn265ll  BTW I also drink green tea...

Jackie:  I had a perfectly good gallbladder taken out too...ugh, made me sooo mad.  Did your doctors ever mention Sphincter-of-Oddi Disorder (SOD) or test for that?  I've heard the SO can spasm or narrow in some people who have had their gallbladder removed.  I think it is my problem.  I could see how a hernia could cause similar pain but, am not sure.  Benzo withdrawal seems to affect how a lot of things in our GI work for sure.

Faery:  I've head/read that enteric coated peppermint oil has been helpful for some people with IBS.  It's supposed to help with muscle spasms.  However, they say that it can potentially aggravate stomach reflux symptoms. 

Jackie:  I had a perfectly good gallbladder taken out too...ugh, made me sooo mad.  Did your doctors ever mention Sphincter-of-Oddi Disorder (SOD) or test for that?  I've heard the SO can spasm or narrow in some people who have had their gallbladder removed.  I think it is my problem.  I could see how a hernia could cause similar pain but, am not sure.  Benzo withdrawal seems to affect how a lot of things in our GI work for sure.

Burned out, Oh my gosh you had your gallbladder out too and it was goodddddddddddd. What is up with this? So sorry!! I had my esophagus stretched but that did nothing for me. I haven't heard of SOD disorder but will look it up. Thanks so much!!! What kind of sx's do you have?

Hi Jackie:  Yeah, I wish they had looked upstream-at the liver, common bile duct, SO, etc before operating.  Had, (and still have) classic upper right quadrant pain, pain eating, stomach burning (bile reflux), etc...ugh  :sick:  It comes and goes but, eating can be a challenge at times for sure.

Hi Faery:  I hope the remedies help you and sorry you had to have your gallbladder removed, too.  Hope you don't have any symptoms still afterwards.

Thank you Burndedout, I spent hours yesterday looking up SOD and wow!!! never heard of it. What is this bile you talk about? I don't think I have that. When I eat over easy egg yolks for example I will feel very full and some days the tightness and full feelings are not as bad, others are horrible. Anyway the SOD sounds very scary to me. Are you going to test for it? That in itself sounds scary. Thanks for your help. I hope you find out what is wrong and can fix it. I'll be thinking of you.

Hi Jackie:  Yeah, I wish they had looked upstream-at the liver, common bile duct, SO, etc before operating.  Had, (and still have) classic upper right quadrant pain, pain eating, stomach burning (bile reflux), etc...ugh  :sick:  It comes and goes but, eating can be a challenge at times for sure.

Hi Faery:  I hope the remedies help you and sorry you had to have your gallbladder removed, too.  Hope you don't have any symptoms still afterwards.

Burned, hope your doing decent and i am right there with you on the stomach bit and actually just went thru another CT Scan nothing was seen so now i guess a Colonoscopy and if that is ok then we are going to shoot for plural or nerve pain as it`s left sided ! Last year i had a MRCP scan done as that looks at the Bile Ducts and that came out normal so just letting you know your not alone in this GI bit. Be well ~CD