Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Stomach healing place

[br...]

Tee & Mr.,

Ended up in ER yesterday for 7 hrs, bled out my rear. May have been thrombosed hemmy I have.  Dr. in ER thinks my immune system is shot just as I thought from being on antibiotics and herbal antibiotics.  I had already started probiotics two days ago.  Bought some kaopectate and he gave me some anti-cramping meds.  Hopefully I can start eating again.  Had to cancel surgery Friday for biopsy of cysts.  So tired of this rollercoaster ride.

Hope today finds you much better friends, hugs.

MG :smitten:

Hi MG,

I am so sorry you are having so many issues.

Did they check you for mrsa?

If you have mrsa, don't ever take fluoroquinolone antibiotics.

Don't ever take them for anything.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [br...]

• [ma...]

• [Be...]

• [Bu...]

[81...]

Mr.,

Flesh eating bacteria?

Tee & Mr.,

Ended up in ER yesterday for 7 hrs, bled out my rear. May have been thrombosed hemmy I have.  Dr. in ER thinks my immune system is shot just as I thought from being on antibiotics and herbal antibiotics.  I had already started probiotics two days ago.  Bought some kaopectate and he gave me some anti-cramping meds.  Hopefully I can start eating again.  Had to cancel surgery Friday for biopsy of cysts.  So tired of this rollercoaster ride.

Hi MG,

Mr.,

Flesh eating bacteria?

Tee & Mr.,

Hi MG,

Streptococcus is the flesh eating and necrotizing (death of tissue).

MRSA is a staphylococcus bacteria that causes sores in some or is systemic causing autoimmune diseases.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone get anxiety after a bowel movement? I'm terrified of going to the bathroom because it's making me have panic attacks or seizures. I'm not sure which one it is...

There was a period many months ago where I noticed a significant ramping up of sx after a bm.  This resolved itself on its own after a few weeks.

Does anyone get anxiety after a bowel movement? I'm terrified of going to the bathroom because it's making me have panic attacks or seizures. I'm not sure which one it is...

Yes. I think it was actually a tolerance withdrawal sx. With my morning BM, I'd get the shakes. I think it may have to do with disruption of the vagus nerve.

Actually, mom has had potty panics the whole taper and even now 12 months off, but she has a rare disease that damages her lungs.

I don't know if it is the disease or the benzo damage, but I pray it goes away.

Getting rid of the memory of peeing and panics can help, but don't know how to do this.

I'm almost 4 months off now and GI symptoms are through the roof.  Anyone else experiencing bad upper GI pain, burning, nausea, reflux and weight loss?  I hope it's withdrawal but, fear pre-benzo issues are flaring.  Hard to tell the difference  :'( :'(

I'm just under 3 months out from klonopin and less than a week out from gabapentin. It was the Klonopin that caused my gastro symptoms in the first place. I had nausea, gastroparesis, diarrhea, 15 lb weight loss, reflux. An EGD showed severe gastritis and a bleeding gastric ulcer, now being treated. I suggest you consult a gastroenterologist about a scope of your esophagus and stomach. Medication and a low acid diet help. In my experience, withdrawal makes the reflux and diarrhea worse. With each cut in dose, both with the klonopin and the gabapentin, my symptoms would flare.

I ended up in the ER with acute gastritis/IBS.  Cramping so bad it was horrible.  I ended up buying some orange bitters today, and read it can heal IBS, Crohn's, Cramps, acid reflux and many other things.  It immediately seemed to help, so going to keep taking it.  My guts and stomach are still swollen and feel bruised, but imagine it will take a few days for it all to calm down.  I was about to end up in the hospital with this, I couldn't eat and over 2 months have lost 40lbs. 

I bought mine at Sprouts, they had Urban Moonshine orange bitters.  Has anyone tried bitters for stomach issues?  The saleslady said her bf has horrible acid reflux and it helped.  Supposedly reflux in natural TCM medicine means you don't have enough acid, not too much.

Hi Mountain Girl,

Can you tell me what is in the orange bitters?  Does it continue to help you with reflux?  THinking of trying.

Sharkier

I ended up in the ER with acute gastritis/IBS.  Cramping so bad it was horrible.  I ended up buying some orange bitters today, and read it can heal IBS, Crohn's, Cramps, acid reflux and many other things.  It immediately seemed to help, so going to keep taking it.  My guts and stomach are still swollen and feel bruised, but imagine it will take a few days for it all to calm down.  I was about to end up in the hospital with this, I couldn't eat and over 2 months have lost 40lbs. 

I bought mine at Sprouts, they had Urban Moonshine orange bitters.  Has anyone tried bitters for stomach issues?  The saleslady said her bf has horrible acid reflux and it helped.  Supposedly reflux in natural TCM medicine means you don't have enough acid, not too much.

I use urban moonshine on my mom, but she has barrett's esophagus, so it doesn't do much.

I use sodium alginate which creates a raft on the acid to keep the gases from rising into the esophagus.

Fennel can help with gas, but doesn't last long.

Gas pressure can cause the gases to rise too.

What kind of fennel do you take for gas?  Do you have a brand?  Or is it the food source itself?

Did you use the Gaviscon during the taper?  I'm wondering if it blocks absoprtion of the drug thereby causing withdrawl.

Thanks,

Sharkie

I use urban moonshine on my mom, but she has barrett's esophagus, so it doesn't do much.

I use sodium alginate which creates a raft on the acid to keep the gases from rising into the esophagus.

What kind of fennel do you take for gas?  Do you have a brand?  Or is it the food source itself?

Did you use the Gaviscon during the taper?  I'm wondering if it blocks absoprtion of the drug thereby causing withdrawl.

Thanks,

Sharkie

I didn't use Gaviscon because it has aluminum in it.

The Gaviscon in the UK doesn't have aluminum.

I use the ingredient in Gaviscon that does the job of stopping acid which is Sodium Alginate.

Sodium alginate creates a raft ontop of the acid to keep the gases from rising.

I just put in capsules.

I use Fennel extracts or tinctures without alcohol.

It's the magnesium in antacids that blocks the absorption of other medications. Gsviscon has magnesium. Take antacids one hour before your other meds or one and one half to two hours after. I had the same issue as you during withdrawal. :)

[81...]

Sharkie,

It's orange peel and a few other herbs.  I took it about 5 days, I didn't like the grain alcohol, even though I took 1/4tsp at a time.  It seemed to help, but now I'm just taking Marshmallow, Slippery Elm Bark & Fenugreek a couple times a day.  All create mucilage which protects stomach & intestines.  It's working good, and I take Gas-x two times a day. 

Hugs, MG :smitten:

Hi Mountain Girl,

Can you tell me what is in the orange bitters?  Does it continue to help you with reflux?  THinking of trying.

Sharkier

Thanks,

Sharkie

I use the ingredient in Gaviscon that does the job of stopping acid which is Sodium Alginate.

I just put in capsules.

Thanks so much for your quick reply.  Okay so more questions.  What brand of sodium alginate and how much did you know to use or put in the capsule?  Is there a mg amount you used?  How often did you use it or could you use it?  Also, would that be a problem to use while tapering in terms of it blocking absorption of the valium?  For me it is for reflux.

Also can you recommend a brand of the fennel extract or tincture.  I'm still tapering and very symtpomatic so trying to be cautious.

Thanks much,

Sharkie

I'm so glad I found this thread.  After almost 7 months, I'm actually having a 'formed' bowel motion on some days and my stomach is emptying better.    But I'm on omeprazole and I have gaviscon (non-aluminimum here in New Zealand).  I'm going to see a Gastro on the 14th Feb to get checked out for damage, before I drop further on the omeprazole (I've gone from 40mg daily to 30mg and 20 mg on alternate days - I think it may be more harmful now than helpful!).    (my burning oespohagus pain was from the acid from my stomach which had gastroparesis - I also started taking domperidone, which was a Godsend in acute, but I tried not to take it as it's a pretty intense drug) 

I did get some DGL tablets which helped a a little, but, with the waves happening I just couldn't put myself through any more pain.  I have improved noticeably, and hope to be off omeprazole by end March, if not before (and will read EVERY page of this thread for tips!!!)  :thumbsup::smitten:

Kristina, I too had gastroparesis, from the Klonopin. My gastroenterologist identified it as the culprit. It seems to be reversing. MY stomach does empty and the nausea is  gone. Domperidone isn't legal in the US and Reglan(?) scared me. I'm on dexilant 60 mg, but I hate it and hope that when I see my doctor in February, he will taper me off it. I use DGL 3x a day with meals and 40 mg Pepcid complete at night. Gaviscon as needed but I try to avoid it. Since anxiety makes reflux worse, I belly breathe to help my stomach after meals. I am on a low acid diet.

Kristina, I too had gastroparesis, from the Klonopin. My gastroenterologist identified it as the culprit. It seems to be reversing. MY stomach does empty and the nausea is  gone. Domperidone isn't legal in the US and Reglan(?) scared me. I'm on dexilant 60 mg, but I hate it and hope that when I see my doctor in February, he will taper me off it. I use DGL 3x a day with meals and 40 mg Pepcid complete at night. Gaviscon as needed but I try to avoid it. Since anxiety makes reflux worse, I belly breathe to help my stomach after meals. I am on a low acid diet.

Hi TeeCee,

Thank you so much for the confirmation about Domperidone!!  I jumped in May/June, was put on omeprazole (a PPI like dexilant) and domperidone in June.  I read that if you use domperidon it should be only in an emergency and to use sparingly, which I did, until the Doctor told me not to worry and just to take it for nausea.  I increase the usage (it really really did help and moved the food through my stomach and intestine), but, early November, after taking it 2 days is a row, I had terrible vertigo.  I even took another one the following morning, and ended up in ED later that day.  The vertigo disappeared, but I read it was a 'possible side effect', and was pleased that my stomach did manage on its own throughout Dec/Jan (with a little difficulty).

I have tapered Omeprazole (PPI) to 30mg and 20mg on alternate days (from 40mg daily), but I'm not tapering any further until I see a gastroenterologist;  I have an appt on Feb 14th.

Everything has improved with my digestion and I'm so much more brave about what I can eat.  Initially, after my doctor confirming it was gastroparesis,  I pretty much followed a liquid diet where possible (the stomach can empty liquid, easier than solids), so would eat coconut yoghurt and jelly for breakfast, and butternut pumpkin soup at dinner,  omelettes for lunch,  and for months I had a small piece of steamed fish, courgettes and roast pumkin or kumara, with garlic, for dinner.    I still wasn't 'well' but I was better on a diet like that.

Seven months later, and last night I went out for dinner and had fish on risotto with shrimp and muscle - so brave of me and my stomach has managed it!!!  (a few weeks I went out and had lamb and buckwheat - the 2nd time only that I've had red meat and it triggered a bit of a digestive-distress wave..... it was possibly the buckwheat).  This month I have re-introduced dairy successfully though.  I'm not up to eating a steak, but I will one day!!

Many thanks for your reply;  and hopefully we'll both manage to come off our PPI's.  From what I've read, the PPI's help with the acid above the stomach, but the intestine below, actually needs the acid to keep the bacteria at bey.  That our flatulence is from the bad bacteria proliferating, especially if we eat the foods that bad bacteria flourish on:  carbs, sugars, anything that's easily digestible, and a side affect of the fast digestion is carbon monoxide. 

So, now that I seem to be able to eat again I hope to get a little more healthy.  Lately I've been eating salted chips to try to keep my toBP up, and haven't worried about eating sugary things because my blood-sugar has been chaotic too.  So I've not tried anything fanatical, but can't wait to become my fanatical old self again to try to assist healing.  In the meantime I'll continue to meditate and try to manifest a new me from the ethers....  ;):thumbsup::smitten:

The gastroparesis got better once I was off the Klonopin. I consider myself lucky, because it doesn't always resolve. I eat small, frequent meals. I follow a low acid diet. I'm avoiding garlic for now as it can contribute to reflux. Once my ulcer heals I will slowly reintroduce certain foods to see how they affect me. I allow myself a sugary treat each day (I need to gain weight) but I watch added sugars in food. I think the PPI gives me diarrhea and I think it ramps up my muscle  spasms, palps and shaking. I really want off it, but you have to taper off it, but I will have to wait until my next appointment with my gastroenterologist in February.

I hope you continue to get better!  :)

Hi Tee Cee,  thanks for the update;  yes mine has almost resolved.    From what I gather, if the 'cause' is taken away (i.e. alcoholism, toxic poisoning etc) the CNS can, and is likely to heal.  Unlike other illnesses, we all have a chance at healing, and I'd hate anyone on here with gastroparesis to think it wasn't going to rectify.  It was frightening to know that my stomach was not getting strong enough messages from my brain to 'empty', and that my heart wasn't getting strong enough messages to 'beat'!!  My heart rate and BP were incredibly low, but are heading back to normal now.    The domperidone assisted me in eating regularly so I did start putting the weight back on - I started @ 62kg, went down to 54, then back up to 56, which is what my 'normal' used to be!! :)

My red hands, feathered nails, unformed bowel motions and constipation, all seemed to be linked, and also, when my digestion was really bad, my insomnia was also bad.  I'm pleased to say my hands have looked good for 3 days, and have not been sensitive, and the 'wrinkled' appearance has improved so much.  My bowel motions are formed, but still quite spasmodic, and my insomnia is better, although still not long enough.  I believe I'm pretty much in Phase 3.... I also believe that we can all heal, given the right circumstances.

We can compare notes after our Gastro appointments;  mine's on 14th Feb;  I'm going there specifically to see if there's any reason, or anything I need to be aware of, that would stop me from tapering (very very slowely as I'm unable to do it quickly) the PPI.

We've got this;  we're getting there  :thumbsup:

Kristina,

My healing hasn't been in a straight line. This  morning I had some nausea for the first time in two months. After some improvement, my diarrhea is worse, though I think the volume is less. Now that I'm off the gabapentin (but still having withdrawal sx) there remains the PPI as a possible cause. I do know from a stool analysis that  my gut flora is damaged. I take a high quality probiotic, but the PPI may be inhibiting the re establishment of my gut. I think I am beginning to gain weight, however. I rejected remeron to help with sleep and appetite and domperidone is not available in the US.

My nails have also lifted. It's possible I have psoriasis (and possibly psoriatic arthritis) but after reading this forum, I realize that benzos damage us in so many ways and cause sx that look like other diseases (especially when you're malnourished) so I'm treating nail fungus and hoping my nails heal.

If I knew how to, I'd start tapering off the PPI before i saw my doctor, but I don't want to mess up the healing.

:smitten:Tee

Thanks,

Sharkie

I just put in capsules.

Thanks so much for your quick reply.  Okay so more questions.  What brand of sodium alginate and how much did you know to use or put in the capsule?  Is there a mg amount you used?  How often did you use it or could you use it?  Also, would that be a problem to use while tapering in terms of it blocking absorption of the valium?  For me it is for reflux.

Also can you recommend a brand of the fennel extract or tincture.  I'm still tapering and very symtpomatic so trying to be cautious.

Thanks much,

Sharkie

Natures answer has fennel extract.

Sodium alginate was bought in bulk and put into "0" capsules which is about 500mg.

That is the same amount in Gaviscon.

I think I got this one

http://www.modernistpantry.com/sodium-alginate.html?gclid=CInnm-jLvdECFQ-1wAodaSIMMw

Kristina,

My healing hasn't been in a straight line. This  morning I had some nausea for the first time in two months. After some improvement, my diarrhea is worse, though I think the volume is less. Now that I'm off the gabapentin (but still having withdrawal sx) there remains the PPI as a possible cause. I do know from a stool analysis that  my gut flora is damaged. I take a high quality probiotic, but the PPI may be inhibiting the re establishment of my gut. I think I am beginning to gain weight, however. I rejected remeron to help with sleep and appetite and domperidone is not available in the US.

My nails have also lifted. It's possible I have psoriasis (and possibly psoriatic arthritis) but after reading this forum, I realize that benzos damage us in so many ways and cause sx that look like other diseases (especially when you're malnourished) so I'm treating nail fungus and hoping my nails heal.

If I knew how to, I'd start tapering off the PPI before i saw my doctor, but I don't want to mess up the healing.

:smitten:Tee

Hi Tee,

I spoke too soon and had diarrhea this morning, no doubt from my restaurant dinner 2 nights ago.  I'm certainly not healed, and yesterday had to go for 2 power walks to be 'comfortable' - all to do with the Gut again.

My nails seem to be healing a little.  I too treated for fungus, but I think it's the 'benzo WD mimicking neuropathy'.  My Doctor gave me some cortizone cream which I've used very occasionally.  I do HAVE to wear gloves if I go anywhere near household chemicals (which I've proved make the nail worse), and, instead of rubber gloves I use nitrile gloves, or else put on cotton gloves underneath the rubber gloves!!

I did take a probiotic initially, and will again soon although I know the PPI prevents acid that our intestines actually need, so I'm not going to restart priobitics until I see the Gastro.  In fact, I read somewhere that to come off a PPI you should have an antibiotic to kill all bacteria (there are too much bad bacteria from the PPI, which are flourishing and can cause infections such as pneumonia!), the replace the a probiotic and magnesium.    I'm guessing that's why, when we taper off a PPI,we have to do it so very very slowly.    I talked my Doctor into giving me 'Carafate' as a subtitute as I'd also read of a lady to weaned of a PPI over a month using Carafate.  But my Dr said I'd still have to wean off the PPI slowly.  So, from 200mg a week, I'm down to 180mg a week.  The 'rebound' acid effect happens 3 weeks later (I've proven that too  >:().  The receptionist at the chemist i go to has 'given up trying' to get off a PPI, hence why I'm going to the Gastro.

I also thought that the PPI was causing my 'extraneous' gut symptoms, but now I'm pretty sure that it's the GABA receptors in the gut, and that it will just take time.  It crossed my mind that if I came off the PPI and my symptoms were the same, they could be worse without the PPI, and I would not want to go back on it!!!    Many here have come off the PPI ONCE their symptoms were better, so, once again I may be jumping the gun, and thinking I'm almost healed when I'm not (which I've been doing every month since jumping)!!

I got psoriasis during tolerance, and still had it in the first couple of months after my jump.  I used 'Viaderm-K.C.cream' which is a Corticosteroid, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal cream, which got rid of it quickly (I guess as long as nothing you're currently taking is contributing to it).  My Dr told me I had psoriasis and 'had I had it before'?  Haha - that was actually the least of my worries at the time (I was in acute), but I did try the cream and it worked (one wee win  :D). 

I think you're right in not decreasing the PPI until you see the Gastro.  I've come up and down on the PPI before I finally came to that conclusion, and realised, that yet again I'm trying to be superwoman and 'jump' when the consequences of that decision might be a worse state!!!  I'm down from 200mg a week, to 180, and will be holding for 3 weeks before lowering again. 

Talk soon xxx  :smitten: