Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Vitamin C & Cortisol

[Di...]

Hi DP

The salt and the OJ combined with the cream of tartar are to provide the minerals your adrenals and liver need so that the adrenals will not release the cortisol.

If you blood sugar drops in the night, the liver releases it's sugar stores.  This triggers the adrenals to release cortisol and it is the cortisol that causes premature waking.  In essence, this cocktail has vitamin C and sugar from the oj, potassium from the cream of tartar and sodium from the salt - all to prevent the cortisol surge. (at least that is what I gleaned from the article when I read it)  If my explanation is incorrect in any way, maybe Etown can clarify.

It kinda works the same way the Seriphos is supposed to work.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [lk...]

• [Wi...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked out and ate  later than usual last night which usually interferes with sleep. To counter this, I took 2 seriphos instead of 1 at bedtime and slept really well. Will pick up some cream of tartar today and see what happens. Maybe a thread on seriphos would help. It sure seems to be working for me. It took a while for me to try it because of Clark's bad experience, but I'm glad I did.

I get results with the Seriphos too, just not as good as DP and now Bart.  Without it I wake up two hours after I fall asleep.  With it and the adrenal cocktail, I wake up after 5 hours of sleep.

Hey....three more hours is certainly an improvement over last month!  I'll take it.

I was taking three at bed time but have since switched to two at bed time and another one when I wake up.  I also tried a variety of hours before bed time,  1 - 3 hours before but have since settled on 8:45 since I turn out the lights at 9pm.  This seems to keep me asleep the longest.

Ok....talk to me about the seriphos...... Im taking 2000mg vit c tonight and maybe it will help and maybe not but I need a backup.....I was up every hour and a half last night. It was a super long night. What happened to a few hours strung together......Ugh.........

Splain it to me peeps

Lisa

Hi Bart,

Yes, I think the clark experience has made many a bit wary of seriphos, but we should rightfully be careful!

A couple of questions though, what is the long term effect of seriphos as in what happens once you stop taking it, and 2:

Does anyone know how Clark is now?

Hi Bart,

Yes, I think the clark experience has made many a bit wary of seriphos, but we should rightfully be careful!

A couple of questions though, what is the long term effect of seriphos as in what happens once you stop taking it, and 2:

Does anyone know how Clark is now?

What happened to Clark? 

Lisa

Hi gang

You can just google seriphos to get the scoop. Basically, it suppresses cortisol and if your insomnia is due to elevated cortisol levels in the evening and night it should help. So it will not work for every insomniac, but it seems to work very well for me so far. I don't know what the long term effects are, but I plan to taper it in a couple of months after my Valium taper is over. Clark seems to have just dropped off the grid. As I recall, he had been taking a lot of other hormonal and steroid products which can mess with adrenal chemistry.

Bart

Ok....talk to me about the seriphos...... Im taking 2000mg vit c tonight and maybe it will help and maybe not but I need a backup.....I was up every hour and a half last night. It was a super long night. What happened to a few hours strung together......Ugh.........

Splain it to me peeps

Lisa

Perhaps this might give you a bit more information. http://www.moodcure.com/correcting_cortisol_levels.html

I also read all the reviews and comments on Amazon. The majority of people give it really good reviews.

Splain it to me peeps

Lisa

Perhaps this might give you a bit more information. http://www.moodcure.com/correcting_cortisol_levels.html

I also read all the reviews and comments on Amazon. The majority of people give it really good reviews.

Thanks Pam....Gonna check out the link now..... :)

• 2 months later...

I came across something interesting regarding Vit C:

"The body's immune and detoxification systems make special use of vitamin C, and overload in either of these systems can increase risk of deficiency. The immune system relies on a wide variety of mechanisms to help protect the body from infection, including white blood cells, complement proteins, and interferons; and vitamin C is especially important in the function of these immune components.

Vitamin C is also critical during the first phase of the body's detoxification process. This process occurs in many types of tissue, but it is especially active in the liver. When the body is exposed to toxins, vitamin C is often required for the body to begin processing the toxins for elimination. Excessive toxic exposure is therefore a risk factor for vitamin C deficiency. "

This made me wonder if the possible reason why we get these adrenal rushes has to do with the Vit C that we need to minimize them is being utilized as part of the body detoxifying as we taper these drugs. And I wonder if there are toxins that accumulate as a byproduct of the taper and WD process. Only now Vit C is being used for this detoxification process and so there is little left to help with cortisol. So now we need extra vitamin C to keep up with the body's processes. Just a though.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=109

Hello,

I would like to share my experience with vitamin C with the hope that will help somebody here. As you can see from my signature, I never took benzos, but my husband is fighting a difficult battle with it right now.

I take vit C as an immune system booster and to keep up with oxidation processes in my organism. I am a smoker (bad, bad .. I know) and I may need more than normal healthy people. I noticed a very positive impact of vit C while battling virus infections and others:

- Last spring got shingles – it passed completely without long lasting effects in 2-3 weeks

- Skin – Got an atypical mole that grew over the years and at a certain point the dermatologist told me to urgently get it removed by a surgeon. It happened that before getting an appointment for the surgery, I got a bad cold and took a big quantity of vitamin c (about 20 grms per day). In a month the mole almost disappeared. I still have it but is almost invisible and the it has the color of my skin (before it started to have an un even pigmentation)

- Flu or colds – It took me a while to get the courage to try the maximum quantity of vit C I would need to cure a cold or a flu. I did it eventually this fall when I was hit by flu while in vacation oversees. In less than 24 hrs I was bed ridden with headache, muscle pains, fever, and a terribly painful cough from the bottom of my lungs. I said to myself that I have nothing to lose so  … in 4 hrs I was as new after taking 3 gr vit C every 15 min for 4 hours. Yes, you read right: almost 50 gr in 4 hours. I had to be close to the toilet, though … I slowed down to 3 gr per hour after because I had a lot to visit … being in vacation  ;)

A good source of information for vit C is

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/basics.shtml

Now, how much vit C is my husband taking and why:

- Why: For the oxidative stress due to the permanent toxic storm in his body

- How much: about 8 gr per day (3+3+2)

Effects on insomnia? I really do not know. From what I can see there is no direct effect in his case. In fact I never thought that vit C will be a sleep aid.

One indicator about how much vit C somebody needs is the “bowel tolerance” = you reach maximum that you can absorb, you get diarrhea. This comes from the theory that we assimilate different quantities of Vit C depending on our body needs. For example, for me in a healthy state, if I take 3 gr at once I reach the bowel tolerance. When I have a cold the first signs of bowel tolerance appear after 12-15 gr. I give my husband 3 gr dosage and he doesn’t show any bowel tolerance symptoms so I am thinking that he really needs that dosage.

About what form? We take simple ascorbic acid. I use powder form because this way there are no other additives. My husband is taking capsules of 1000 mg with minimum adjuvants. I would recommend to look for the most reduced form if you take it in big quantities. And BTW, vit C is absorbed in the small intestine so sublingual or chewable forms for big dosage may not be so useful.

Please take the above as my personal experience.

I worked up to  my bowel tolerance level of vitamin C many years ago and it was around 45 grams. That is fairly common.

Wow!! That’s pretty big!

I wanted to add a note to what I wrote before. A year ago I came across the concept of induced scurvy state when dropping suddenly from a high dose of Vitamin C. That was mostly for studies on pregnant women and the induced scurvy could appear in the newborn if the woman discontinued the vitamin C during the breastfeeding (Those were times when we had plans for a baby, plans that were totally ruined by the damn benzo withdrawal).

Therefore, for somebody taking regularly significant dosage of vitamin C, it is good not to discontinue suddenly, but to decrease gradually. However, there is no comparison with the benzo tapering …

My body really likes it when I take vitamin c. I'm wanting to try these high doses though. What brand do you all use?

I was thinking of trying lypospheric vitamin c because apparently its the best by far, however it is something like 18% alcohol (as preservative). This scares me a lot for obvious reasons.

All the vitamin c I find in stores contains rose hips, which have flared me up bad when I've tried them in the past. Strait vitamin c, however, does not.

Thoughts?

• 6 years later...