Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

zoloft while tapering>??

[Be...]

I've been tapering off of clonazepam with valium for a few weeks now and im starting to become a little depressed. i got 50mg of zoloft handy and im thinking of starting zoloft. Has anyone gone on Zoloft while tapering? any problems with that? :(

I believe two of our active members are on zoloft with mixed results as far as tapering is concerned.  You might check for the blogs of hawkeye and ladyh48 or click on Forum tab at the top of the page and then do a forum search in the box down a bit on the right.  I went on Wellbutrin just before starting to taper and everyone told me it would rev up my anxiety symptoms.  Nothing else worked for my depression, though, so I continued to take it and still do.  I'm thinking it's another of those "your mileage may differ" things.

I've been tapering off of clonazepam with valium for a few weeks now and im starting to become a little depressed. i got 50mg of zoloft handy and im thinking of starting zoloft. Has anyone gone on Zoloft while tapering? any problems with that? :(

Jon;

You are crossing over to Valium from Klonopin and then plan to taper or are tapering while crossing over?

Please clarify.

As far as depression, I've read where AD can be very helpful re: depression WD symptoms. Just be sure you get off of the AD as soon as the WD has subsided enough, because being on AD for a long time is a whole 'nother beast.

Now you say "a little depressed," if it's tolerable then I'd say away from the AD.

I know myself, personally, I already have depression issues that come and go, and when they come it's usually profound, and I know during my first run at tapering, I failed because of the depression symptoms I experienced (Went down too much too fast on the benzo).

But depression and psychological symptoms, at least for myself and many others on here, are very common with tapering.

Do you have a history of clinical depression?

juice

Hey BM,

I'm on Zoloft while tapering Klonopin.

Today isn't a good day to ask, as depression is with me today!  :crazy:    BUT....

I can say however, that without it I'd be a real mess.  This is my first day of REAL benzo depression in a few weeks now.  I'm definitely 85% better at least, on the Zoloft over where "I" was before on the benzo only.  I "say" I have clinical depression as well, but who really knows?  I've been on benzos all of my adult life. 

Will an AD help you?  Who knows.  I am tapering a different drug, but from my personal experience the Zoloft has helped me.

Phyllis  :smitten: