Can anyone tell me about thier sxs after doing a CT from xanax?

[je...]

I am very curious as to what happens with a CT from xanax.  I did a CT from Klonopin and it was REALLY  bad.  Now however, I am still left with these xanax to deal with.  I have been attempting a rapid taper and it seems that if I am going to do that I should just go CT because the sxs are still pretty bad.  My doctor wants to put me on XR to alieviate the interdose sxs but, then what?  I am stuck on it forever because you cant really taper with it.  Even she admits that.  She would like me to updose to 1mg xr per day and stay on that until??? Until what I asked and she said until you are really mentally and physically well enough to get off.  Is this a good idea?  I just dont know what to do.  So has anyone CT from xanax and just what can I expect.  Will I be unable to drive again?  Will I hallucinate? Or is it different from the K.?  Any input would be great.  Thanks, Jess

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [je...]

• [ce...]

• [gr...]

• [to...]

Yes! I want to know exactly what 'Jessiccarabbit' asked.......

Does anyone know of anyone else on this forum who has quit X CT?  I know that everyone advises against it, but just wondering if anyone on here has successfully done it?  Also, has anyone had seizures on here and what was your dosage cut at that time?

The advantage I have with cutting X CT is that I am a stay-at-home secretary.  I can go for days without working if I absolutely have to and don't have any reason to have to drive, leave the house, etc..  I'm still able to sleep quite well, and my appetite has been huge lately.  I can take naps or stay in the dark if the lights get to me.  :socool:  But....... I have a fear of having a seizure while being alone.  I get phone calls during the day, so I'm sure someone would become alarmed, but just hate to think of it.  :-[

I know everyone is not the same, just wondering who has successfully done a CT from Xanax and what dosage for the 'jump', length, of time, etc.?????

Thanks for any/all info,

Bertha

berthacow & jessicarabbit,

I understand the urgency to get off of benzos, really, I've got a life to live!  But I sincerely hope you do not do it. Contrary to logic, quitting benzodiazepines cold-turkey does not put you in an instant detox like quitting cigarettes or herion would do.  Withdrawal from this stuff is not "grin and bear it until it's over".  Not at all.  I'm no expert, but I've seen c/t-ers here struggling for years after.  I'm sure we would ALL be willing to immerse ourselves in excruciating pain if it would only ensure a faster recovery.

People heal, but tapering is a safer way.

The owner of this site, Colin, has this to say:

"Please note, outside of exceptional circumstances, rapid withdrawal of benzodiazepines is ill-advised and potentially dangerous."  Also: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=53153.0

Just my opinion,

hbam

Not a pleasant experience.  Wouldn't recommend it.  If you don't die, you'll alternate between thinking you're going to and wishing you would.

1:  Zero sleep for six days

2:  Gastro problems

3:  Extreme confusion

4:  Audio n visual hallucinations

5:  Paranoia

6:  Altered taste

7:  Severe tinnitus

8:  Electric shocks

9:  Derealisation

10: Trouble talking/stuttering

11: Hyperreflexia

12: Anxiety

13: Panick

14: Extreme depersonalization

15: Lack of appetite

16: Shakes

Jessica

I am going to go out on a limb here. If you survived your CT from 2 mg of K, then you will probably be okay dropping the X CT. It will be harsh, but I don't believe the hype about "tapering being the only way". I am 18 days post rapid taper off 1.5 mg K. I am feeling lousy, but improved from that first week. My current symptoms are: fever, night sweats, nausea withweight loss, depression, head pressure, constipation. However I can drive, and I even had sex 2 nights ago.

How are your symptoms from the K CT right now? I am interested to know your rate of healing these past two months.

Too fast 4 month taper off a high dose of xanax. Was forced to jump (cold turkey) at .25 mg. That's equivalent to 5 mg valium. The result was brutal and very destructive. Did I survive? Sure. Have I healed? Yes, finally, at well over two years off. But so much pain and suffering could have been avoided had my doctor afforded me a slow taper off that last bit. My body was screwed up for a couple of years past the last dose...my muscles, joints, and back took a serious beating.

I'd avoid going down this route if you still have the option to taper. There's really no point to setting yourself up for so much misery, protracted withdrawal and exended recovery. It can take a very long time, wish I hadn't had to go that route! In my case I got worse and worse before I got better and finally saw a resolution to all the fibro-like symptoms within just the past few months by following a whole foods plant based anti-inflammatory diet. I was pretty screwed up and near disabled with the muscle pain for a long time.

I also had all the symptoms that Never Again posted and more. Thankfully most of those cleared up by 1 year off but some stuff lingered.

Tortoise, I appreciate your sharing your experience so far and congrats on your detox but given that you are just a very short time off  I'm afraid it is far too soon for you to be predicting how your recovery is going to play out and recommending that others follow the same route that you have. Time will tell.

Jessica

I am going to go out on a limb here. If you survived your CT from 2 mg of K, then you will probably be okay dropping the X CT. It will be harsh, but I don't believe the hype about "tapering being the only way". I am 18 days post rapid taper off 1.5 mg K. I am feeling lousy, but improved from that first week. My current symptoms are: fever, night sweats, nausea withweight loss, depression, head pressure, constipation. However I can drive, and I even had sex 2 nights ago.

How are your symptoms from the K CT right now? I am interested to know your rate of healing these past two months.

After reading this post and looking closer at jessica's current dose, I would have to agree with this statement for the most part. 

I've c/t'd off large doses of almost every benzo at some point in the last 5 to 6 years.  Not proud of that fact but it is the reason I joined this forum.  I want to use all of the experiences I have to try and help others avoid the things I've gone through.  I can say that I was never once able to do a successful slow taper so I can't help there.

I think tortoise is probably right.  A c/t off of .5mg of xanax should be less severe and the symptoms should not last as long as c/t from 2mg of klonopin.  That's been my experience in similar situations anyway.  So, if you got through the klonopin, I've got believe you would get through this as well.  It won't be fun but it is doable.

Neveragain

Again, I think this is poor advice and not something that is recommended on this forum. Personally I think that the xanax may be covering some of Jessica's K withdrawal and she would probably be hit pretty hard with a jump from .5 mg, xanax (10 mg valium equivalent)--a whole lot harder than what she has seen to this point with discontinuation of the K.

My CT at .25mg was no less severe than my attempts to CT at 4mg.

greengirl,

I'm not really recommending any course of action.  All I can do is relay what I've found through my own experiences, lessons, and knowledge gained.

Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Xanax and Klonopin are actually equal in strength.  In other words, .5mg of one equals .5mg of the other.  2mg of one equals 2mg of the other.  Klonopin does have the longer half life of course.

Anyway, my own experiences aside, if the above is correct, then it would stand to reason that if a person has c/t'd off of 2mg of klonopin in the past, a c/t from .5mg xanax would probably be less severe, shorter in duration, and very achievable. 

So, I'm not saying "do it".  I'm simply saying that it can be and has been done. :hug:

Anyway, my own experiences aside, if the above is correct, then it would stand to reason that if a person has c/t'd off of 2mg of klonopin in the past, a c/t from .5mg xanax would probably be less severe, shorter in duration, and very achievable. 

Hello, well, you would think that but unfortunately that's not really the way it goes with benzos! Plus I think her recent CT from Klonopin would play a huge factor in her getting hit even harder by a jump off xanax at this point. She's definitely not "healed" or stabilized from that CT, so jumping off the xanax now things will be compounded.

Certainly it can be done, I did it myself, but just how much and for how long will she have to pay. Is she ready to face what could be 1 to 3 years of protracted withdrawals.

Jess

hey honey listen up i dont even post here anymore but you know my thoughts on this.  Dont do it its a dumb idea and you know it.  You know the effects of a ct you have done it you know I did it to.  The horror you suffered after the K is going to be the same shit different drug thats a fact all that hallucinating and stuff you had before nothing has changed oh except for your brain which will be still in a traumatised state so it could be worse jess.  you know im not about frightening peope but the facts are the facts.  so if i were you i would not switch drugs but would continue to taper of the x ok and just let your brain deal with less of a shock.  Some people like tortoise do have an easier time coming off lots in the community do im not discounting their experience at all.  However you are you and already know.  Im all up for a quicker taper im not saying that but do it how you can handle it.

holy hell woman Id never want to go through it again ever and im sure you dont either.

hugs and best wishes

Lizzy

I am very curious as to what happens with a CT from xanax.  I did a CT from Klonopin and it was REALLY  bad.  Now however, I am still left with these xanax to deal with.  I have been attempting a rapid taper and it seems that if I am going to do that I should just go CT because the sxs are still pretty bad.  My doctor wants to put me on XR to alieviate the interdose sxs but, then what?  I am stuck on it forever because you cant really taper with it.  Even she admits that.  She would like me to updose to 1mg xr per day and stay on that until??? Until what I asked and she said until you are really mentally and physically well enough to get off. Is this a good idea?  I just dont know what to do.  So has anyone CT from xanax and just what can I expect.  Will I be unable to drive again?  Will I hallucinate? Or is it different from the K.?  Any input would be great.  Thanks, Jess

Is this a good idea?  Not a chance!  Taking XR is not at all a good idea and certainly going cold turkey is dangerous.  It doesn't matter at all which benzo you cold turkey from, you'll suffer longer if you don't taper and even risk seizures, etc.

Greengirl and Lizzy are right. Tapering is the only way.

And Tortoise, just because she survived a cold turkey from K does not mean she'll be okay if she cold turkey's now.  In fact, the very opposite.  It will most likely be far worse now since kindling has taken place.

This is dangerous business talking cold turkey especially after having done it before.  Gosh I hope you listen to reason here today and save yourself years of hellish wd.  Taper, period.

c/t not recommended.  Ototoxic (toxic to the inner ear) side effects may include vertigo and intermittent tinnitus (ringing in the ears) for many months if not longer.  My otoneurologist told me he regularly  prescribes 2.5mg valium for various conditions (which is like half the dose of what you're taking now in xanax) and always tapers that "small dose"  for several months to avert some of the above symptoms.  Additionally, there's also a risk of seizure if one does c/t.  I agree with some of the others that just because one has "survived" the effect of a previous c/t does not predict similar result the next time, particularly since being on xanax was undoubtedly protective of some symptoms when you went off the K recently.  While I agree that some folks do better than others with a rapid detox, I also don't think the jury is out on the recovery timeline for Tortoise who recently did the hospital detox, sorry but too early to tell, although I hope he is lucky enough to get through this in less time.  Good luck with what you decide.  Perhaps a cross over to valium, followed by a slower taper could be considered. 

Vertigo

Please understand me

I did not get off easy. I agreed to a rapid taper because I think that Klonopin had turned paradoxical on me, with severe mental confusion and depression. My cognition and mood have improved following the rapid taper, but I feel a different kind of horrible. It seems like Jessica is having negative effects from her continued use, perhaps a rapid taper/CT will be helpful. Although this should be done under medical supervision because of the dangers.

You are all very helpful and the advice is much appreciated.  After the CT of K I began having good days after about two months.  I too am concerned that this will be harder bc I had the xanax to fall back on before.  My Dr. is very against any slow tapering.  She just wants to updose me to 1 mg of XR and I think leave me there forever.  I am going to try and talk to her again about keeping me on the regular pills and letting me cut but if not then.... well here I go back into CT world.  I have enough pills to wait it out for a few weeks and safely get down to mb .25 or so and then jump.  Never Again... I especially appreciate your post bc those are the same sx I lived with when I CT the K.  So atleast I know what to expect.  Lizzy and Greengirl.. You are both awesome and I do appreciate your concern :smitten: I guess it is just a choice I must make sometime after the 25th.  That is the soonest I can do it bc of obligations to work and family.  Again I love and appreciate you all...Truly, Jess

You are all very helpful and the advice is much appreciated.  After the CT of K I began having good days after about two months.  I too am concerned that this will be harder bc I had the xanax to fall back on before.  My Dr. is very against any slow tapering.  She just wants to updose me to 1 mg of XR and I think leave me there forever.  I am going to try and talk to her again about keeping me on the regular pills and letting me cut but if not then.... well here I go back into CT world.  I have enough pills to wait it out for a few weeks and safely get down to mb .25 or so and then jump.  Never Again... I especially appreciate your post bc those are the same sx I lived with when I CT the K.  So atleast I know what to expect.  Lizzy and Greengirl.. You are both awesome and I do appreciate your concern :smitten: I guess it is just a choice I must make sometime after the 25th.  That is the soonest I can do it bc of obligations to work and family.  Again I love and appreciate you all...Truly, Jess

Hi Jess.  If I understand correctly, you did a c/t off klonopin but kept taking xanax so it is not suprising you had some good days sooner.  I am sorry your doctor is not very sympathetic to your situation. "Leaving you on some dose of  XR" will likely eventually lead to tolerance, rebound anxiety and eventually, the possibility of panic attacks.  My mother had an irresponsible doctor and it caused her many problems in her life.  Perhaps it is time to seek out another doctor, perhaps a neurologist rather than a psychiatrist.  I found that the neurologists are sometimes more open to the impact of tolerance and stopping meds since their livellihood is not dependent on prescribing pills as the psychiatry profession seems to be.  One point about the s/x you lived with when you c/t'd klonopin.  Remember, you were still taking xanax so those s/x may have been muted to some degree.  I will respectfully disagree with the last poster who suggested rapid taper or c/t.  C/t is almost never recommended due to the possibility of seizures.  Tortoise, the negative s/x Jessica may be having may be a result of the c/t off klonopin.  Doing a c/t now off xanax may double the intensity of s/x and could cause unnecessary suffering.

Vertigo

Thanks Vertigo, I agree this may be harder not just physically but psychologiacally.  These pills are a major part of my routine.  Unfortunately my regular psychitrist retired and this is the only person my insurance covers (I live in a very small community) so I have to stick with her.  I would just pay out of pocket but, I just cant afford it.  I am hoping whe will atleast just keep giving me the normal xanax so I can continue tapering.  If not I will just get as low as I can before jumping.  I too really dont want to start the XR...Jess

I would strongly suggest that you NOT cold turkey with the Xanax especially if it is XR. I did it and it was the worst I've ever felt and it is DANGEROUS! Granted I was on a mich higher dose, but I experienced tremors, nausea, vomiting, severe weight loss and insomnia. Just when I thought it was getting better I had a seizure 6 days out.

Tapering is the best route especially if you're already feeling effects from the klonopin. Going c/t is not a good idea whatsoever.

Im not on the XR yet, my Dr. just wants to put me on XR.. No way in hell i am doing it.  Like I said I only have limited pills so if she refuses to keep just letting me taper i will have to quit taking them... I know ct isn't recommended but, I may have no choice....Jess

I can say I felt a million times better after two months.  I could exercise, drive, and even laugh once in awhile.  I went on vacation and my CNS is so much more stable.  Jess

I can say I felt a million times better after two months.  I could exercise, drive, and even laugh once in awhile.  I went on vacation and my CNS is so much more stable.  Jess

Could that be because you were still taking xanax as needed?  If you had stopped all benzos at once (both the klonopin and the xanax), that vacation would likely have turned sour pretty quickly.

Vertigo

Did not c/t from xanax, but, I had a seizure, dropping.down  to 2.00mg (from 3mg)  after 1 week

Ended up in ER. Started with muscle spasms, my whole body had muscle spasms, severe

Headach, left side. My husband thought I was having a stroke. Could not walk, talk, keep my body from severe spasms.He drove me to hospital, given 2 mg iv ativan before I quit

Seizing, three hrs latter. Hada cat scan.im okay now, but it took two weeks to even want to

Get up and walk. Moral of story, PLEASE, dont ct. Notforme

Vertigo... well I am sure it helps.  Thats why I waited till after my vacation to cut the X anymore.  I had already had it planned and I was in really bad shape after cutting so much overnite that I thought for sure I would not be able to enjoy anything.  For the first 6 weeks i honestly thought I was going to have a heart attack. My resting pulse was over 100, I could barely walk, I drove only the 5 mins to work and back, my eyes were bulging, and i lived in some Tim Burton nightmare where very little made sense.  Thank God for the type of work I do or I would have lost my job.  It was the most terrifying experience of my life.  Even I wasn't crazy enough to just stop taking 5 mgs of benzos overnight.  That's why I held onto this last little bit was so I could enjoy vacation.  Now however I am home an dmy CNS is relatively stable according to my GP and she will not support switching to Valium or ashton or any of that.  So here I am.  Unless she changes her mind when I see her on Thursday I am going to have to get of X the same way.  Jess

Let me offer this. My doctor in no way supported my taper either. All he ever wanted to do was keep uping my doses and told me I should take benzo's for the rest of my life.  Yeah, that was not going to happen.  So I made up my mind I would continue going to him for the doses I needed to do MY OWN taper.  I didn't need him to say it was okay, just to prescribe me what I needed to get off and taper safely, period.  Bottom line, you do not need your doctor to support the ashton method, yada yada. Not necessary at all.  Just go in, have him fill your script and go home and do it right.

I was in horrible tolerance wd and am so glad I did a sensible slow taper even in that lying on the floor, agony.  I know that in the end it helped my cns, body and mind to heal as safely and effectively as possible.

This doesn't make sense. You say your doc wants you on XR, but you have limited pills, huh?  Sounds like he/she wants you on benzo's, so you tell her you don't want XR and have her/him continue prescribing for you so that you can taper.  You aren't under any obligation to tell her that you are tapering whatsoever. This is your body, your mind, your cns, your life, you decide.