Lexapro or Cipralex Taper

[wa...]

Has anyone tapered Lexapro or Cipralex? They are the same drug.

I was prescribed this drug while the Dr was trying to figure out what was wrong with me - as I was getting swamped with Ativan induced problems. 'nother mistake but anyways ...

Anyways I just finished my Ativan taper and in a while when I'm feeling pretty good I will need to start the Lexapro/Cipralex taper.

Does anyone have any internet pointers to places where I could get support (similar maybe to benzo buddies).

Also does anyone have any personal experiences with Lexapro/Cipralex they would like to share?

Hi Wayne,

I tapered off lexapro last year. I was on paxil, then lexapro, 10mg for about 5 years. It was a bit of a bear coming off, but I managed. I reduced by 2.5mg every couple of weeks. Then the last couple of weeks, I took 2.5mg every other day. I know this isn't the way to taper off benzos, but it seemed to work with the ssri. It just helped stave off the awful flu-like symptoms. I felt fine soon after. The only problem I think I had is rebound insomnia. The ssri made me sleep like a puppy 11 hours straight every night.  I didn't realize it at the time, and it threw me into a complete tailspin. In fact, I realize in hindsite it's what ultimately led me to the klonopin. But if I knew then what I know now, I would have just rode it out, knowing it was just a side effect of being ssri-free after so long. 

When I told my doc I wanted to get off the ativan he asked what was I going to replace it with.  Nothing, I said.

He suggested LExapro, I tried it twice and both times I got sick, vomiting....thankfully.  He then presribed paxil, which I refused!!!