16 years on benzos, protracted withdrawals and recovery

[b8...]

I was glad to see Eugene's post come up again.

I am now 16 months out without much improvement, but his words heartened me again.

This is a good post for encouragement for those struggling a long time.

Trying to hang in there,

margaretisabel

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [gr...]

• [ma...]

• [...]

• [re...]

Eugene,

Your recovery story is wonderful and a real source of encouragement for those of us that are still suffering.  Please keep posting your updates when you can!  Congratulations on your recovery and thank you for sharing your inspirational story.

Best,

Kitco

Tx you so much for your story. I just completed my 7th month out. I have two stubborn symptoms left. I pray to be at peace soon and for this to end as yours did.  :)

Great story Eugene ! I have been on Klonopin for 32 years and started tapering off almost 3 months ago. I am very upset with my doctors for not telling me that the symptoms I have had for about the last 10 years were actually side effects from the medicine and not depression as they told me. I look forward to the day I am much better also !! 

Patrick

• 9 months later...
Thank you for sharing your incredible healing journey.  I'm sorry you suffered so but overjoyed that you overcame with the help of Christ.

Hi. Im new here. what are theD/R symptom. I am tapering fromativan, 12 yrs...I am feeling awful and scared. Just curious @ D/R? Happy to hear the journey gets better an then joy oneday. Congrats on better health to you.

Hi and welcome, d/r is derealization where you seem removed from reality, can't relate to things happening daily in your life, not connected. You might see d/p which is depersonalization, not wanting to be around people anymore, not relating to them, feeling unable to join in regular interactions.  Hoping you're on your way to a smooth recovery. This is the place to be for encouragement, support, and answers to your questions. We  are all like you in different stages. Best friends around. Hang in there  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eugene,

I'm also a professional person and can't believe the doctors would put me on anything so harmful and for so long. I was on Ativan for 30 years, most of my adult life, but not for much longer.

Thank you for your inspiring story. I've printed it and will read it every morning in those wee hours when I can't sleep and feel low.

God bless you with health and faith.

BigBangFan

• 10 months later...

Bump

I'm bumping this old Success Story from June 2012 because it is such an encouragement for long time users & rapid detox & cold turkey. It is well written. Most importantly, read through all the response posts. He makes reference to someone who did her Masters Thesis on Benzo withdrawal. Her name is Allison Kellaghar. Read further in the response posts & someone gives the  link to her Masters Thesis. He gives a 16,17, & 18 month update as a follow up posts.

Also, read the 9th paragraph.

Here is the link to the Master Thesis by Allison Kellaghar: She tells of her own story & 4 other people. She believes in the intrinsic ability of our brain to heal instead of Dr.'s wrongly diagnosing with mental disorders like anxiety or depression, when a person is actually going through withdrawal and just needs time to heal.

http://www.bcnc.org.uk/allison.html

Hope this old Success Story by a guest, Eugene and the link to Allison's Masters Thesis helps a few BB's.

This is so beautiful!! I pray to God every day to keep me and my family tucked so tightly under His wings during this incredibly hard time. I pray for all of us on BB and in the world who are suffering through this nightmare withdrawal. I love your story, thank you for the hope  :smitten:

Wow, I can really relate to Eugene's story since I went on benzos for the same reason he did, for sudden onset of severe tinnitus. What  is really hopeful is that he says his tinnitus is vastly improved now. Makes me hope mine will go down if I can just get off these darn drugs!

I hate to ask this, because it might sound stupid, but I swear that I read on an Ashton or a Healy or a Shipko link somewhere that men heal better than women, which rightly frightens me because I'm a woman.

Is that true, or is it BS?  I know I read it on one of the credible doctors' websites and it made me so upset.

[5a...]

Amen! Amen! Amen!

Without Jesus and my praying family and friends, I'm sure my recovery would have taken longer. God bless you!

Denise :angel:

I found it vital to keep a daily log of my symptoms.  This greatly helped me when I began to have my windows.  All that I read was right regarding the waves that would come.  I could have a window of relief but when the wave returned, I couldn’t remember if I had a window of relief or if I just imagined it.  The log gave me great encouragement that I had experienced relief and that healing was continuing.

I now desire to be an encouragement to others that are going through this same nightmare.  Friend, I want you to know that no matter how deep your struggle, there will be relief and healing at some point in the future.

May you find strength in my God and Savior Jesus Christ to help you through your journey.  He is there.  All you have to do is ask Him.

16th month update:

I am now going into my 16th month of recovery and as best as I can tell all my symptoms have gone except for a very faint tinnitus that comes and goes.  Since it was the absolute worst symptom, it makes sense that it would be the last to disappear.  This last remaining noise is nothing like it was in 1995 when I was first put on benzos and not even what it was like several months ago.  The pitch has changed to a sound, that when it is present, it is faint and is not even annoying like it used to be.  I can just feel in my brain that it is healing as the sound fades every day a little bit more.  Let me send a strong word of encouragement to those of you who read my story every day.  Let it be an encouragement for you to know that you will heal and return to normal.  I am convinced that if I can heal after all the suffering I have endured from so many, many years of this horrid drug, then you will be healed if given the right amount of time.  Just hang in there and be strong and look to God for strength and in due time you will see your sadness turn to joy as your symptoms begin to fade and drop out of your life one at a time.  May my God and Savior Jesus Christ give you strength to endure.

This was an amazing read! Wow! I keep a weekly log and review all I've been through, where I had breaks, etc. I pray so much...sometimes I wonder if God is tired of hearing from me.  :angel: I can't wait to write my success story when I'm sxs free! People like Eugene and all those who come back to write their story is such a breath of inspiration!  :smitten:

• 2 months later...
[ee...]

Trying to open Allison Kellagher s thesis link and it appears to be gone. Does anyone have another link to this ?

Thank you

www.bcnc.org.uk/allison.html

[ee...]
Thank you Lapis.... This is great but the other original was actually her thesis paper outlining a modality for therapy ... It looks like it s been taken down.

Yes, I think you're right! I searched for awhile, but all of the attempts led to the same dead end. Sorry about that!

[ee...]

That s ok Lapis!! Thanks so much.

I wonder why , taken down ? I had printed it out a few months ago ... So helpful...but wanted to send it to someone .. Best article I ve read... She really " got " this...no doubt because she herself experienced it.

Good question! I'm sure someone know's the answer. I'd flagged it some time ago but didn't get the chance to read it.....and now I guess I won't!

You are an inspiration and represent hope to many of us. Thank you for sharing your experience and encouragement and congratulations of regaining your life  :)

Glory be to God! What a tremendous story! Thank you! I was about to go on the support group page and vent about the constant balance issues, inner/middle ear madness, head pressure, sensation of moving when I'm not...

But something told me to go to the Success Stories thread.

I'm glad I did!

Thank you for the encouragement and being so transparent!

May peace be with you!

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for a wonderful, inspiring read. If I am suffering as much on my current doses of 1.76mg ativan and 10mg Valium with a slow taper, I can't even imagine the pure torment of being C/T'd of a high dose of Klonopin. It is amazing that not only you lived to tell the tale, but also are recovering. God Bless  :smitten: