16 years on benzos, protracted withdrawals and recovery

[3a...]

[3a...]

margarit...

Dear Lord...I know the suffering that my dear friend is going through...please, I pray, give her divine strength...Jesus there is no medicine on earth to help this kind of suffering so please intervene and touch with your divine power today...in Jesus name I pray...Amen...eugene

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [gr...]

• [ma...]

• [...]

• [re...]

Eugene-The prayer you prayed for Margarit, will you pray it for me? I know you don't know me but I could really use it right now. Thank-you from the bottom of my heart. I pray for all of our healing.

[3a...]

Spunky...absolutely

My dear heavenly Father...I raise Spunky to you right now.  Your precious one is hurting and struggling.  You see the need.  Lord touch right now by Your divine power.  Your Word says that you see every little sparrow that falls to the ground...how much more value are we in your sight as your children...Jesus touch I pray and strengthen.  cradle Spunky in your arms right now...I lay this precious child at the foot of the cross and I ask in your name that You carry spunky.  Let the days pass quickly if you choose not to heal instantly.  I know how I suffered and how you carried me...now I ask that you do the same for Spunky...Your word says that if I have enough faith I can speak to mountains and they will be moved...Lord build our faith and send your Word to spunky right now...in Jesus name I pray...Amen...eugene

Dear BBs,

May I respectfully ask that prayer requests and prayers are kept to the Faith and Philsophy Board.  This forum operates as a non secular site and the F&P Board is specifically for that purpose.

Betsy

[3a...]
one of my lingering final symptoms is that my voice sounds weak and at times raspy...has anyone experienced this also?

you're really being an instrument of thy peace Eugene....thank you :-)

hello  M  we are from north west Iowa  good to see some one from Iowa@!!!  take care now....PS  its hard to find a benzo wise doc  but i think we might have  will find out on the 26Th.....Mr Linn

• 2 weeks later...
[3a...]
The link to Alison Kelleghars Thesis has been added to the body of my success story.  It is a must read.  eugene

Hi Eugene,

I am very happy for you, congradulations on your recovery and continued success with your healing. Please I need some advice, I had some blood work done a couple of weeks ago, my TSH came back at 5.58 high, the free T4 was 1.1 normal, they did not do the T3. My doctor gave me a script for synthroid 25mcg, I am hesitant to take this until I am completely healed, I am still suffering with Protracted W/D. I do have some hypothd sxs mainly fatigue and horrible tinnitus I did a search on this and its seems that its 50/50 in taking thyroid medicine, some like it and just as many don't, any advice on taking synthroid would be much appreciated.

Sincerely

Maury

Hi Maury:

I am hypo but have continued to take my 25 mcg of Synthroid daily, during and post taper.  The thyroid does help to make GABA and serotonin, so it's best NOT to compromise this delicate neurotransmitter helper for GABA upgregulation.  I get my TSH, free T3 and free T4 tested every three months just to be sure all is well with it. 

Also, if you have high cholesterol levels, your thyroid issue could be part of the problem.

Best to you in your recovery.  You might feel a difference in your energy levels in a few weeks or so once you start the Synthroid.  Oh, and once you start brand Synthroid, do not ever let a MD switch you to a generic.  SOOOOOO very important.  Stick with the Synthroid.  I switched and I regretted it!!

Rocko

Hi Rocko,

Thanks for the info, I am not sure I will start the synthroid, I am so scared it will mess with my wd sxs, if I do I will always get the brand synthroid thanks again.

Maury

• 2 weeks later...
[3a...]
Just a brief update...I have now tapered off the Remeron and have been off for 5 days...I am sleeping fine and feel that this is the last hurdle to get over.  Everyday seems to just be better.  Blessings to all.

Well done Eugene

I had a rough time getting off Mirtazepine (Remeron) but i was so much better for being off it, I am so pleased for you

Magrita

• 3 weeks later...
[3a...]
I am now 1 week into my 17th month of recovery.  My symptoms are still gone except for the faint fuzzy noise in my head that comes and goes.  Because I had been on benzos for so many years, I am still trying to feel what normal really is.  I feel good...but it is a much different feeling than what the benzos gave me.  I have read a number of stories where individuals say "that just when you think you have arrived, then you feel even better"...I think this is where I am at right now.  Because total healing can take years, I think I am at the point that I will continue to slowly feel better and better as time passes.  I am so thankful to be free from benzos...my heart is heavy for so many out there that have no idea about benzos and their doctors just keep prescribing and making a suffering mess of their lives. eugene

That is great news Eugene. Please keep us posted as you keep recovering. It gives us all hope.

I'm doing a lot better at 14 months but I still have a lot of waves each week and my sleep is still up and down a long with dizziness and GI issues. I was on a lot of a/d's and z-drugs over the years too and I'm sure that is playing a part in all of this.

Thanks for posting. I hope  you continue to get better and better.

Take care,

Lou

• 2 weeks later...
I am now approaching the beginning of my 18th month of recovery.  I am convinced that those who have taken benzos for a really long time and find themselves in protracted withdrawals have a high probability that their total recovery will take at least 18 months or longer.  Even though this seems like a really long time you must remember that the intense suffering will not last this long.  Things will continue to improve and you will feel better and better as time passes.  There will always be the exception and there will be some that heal much more quickly.  If you can recall many of the success stories that you have read you will find many of those that were long term users find themselves only about 90-95% recovered by the 18th month or longer.  Everyone should be feeling much better by the 18th month but don't be surprised if you still have a little ways to go.  Be encouraged and know that eventually it will be 100%

Eugene,

It gives me such relief to read your post. I keep telling myself just make it one more day but it's really hard to stay focused and motivated to stay on this path when you really don't know when you will be healed. I was on benzos a long time too and a lot of other meds so I know it's going to take me longer to heal than most folks.

Thanks for giving me hope to carry on.

Take Care,

Lou

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much Eugene for continuing to post your recovery story.

It is heartening to hear that things are getting better & better for you. Yay!

We all need to hear that so much!

Can't tell you how happy I have been to read your updates & to hear about your recovery.

I am still struggling a lot, but posts like yours offer so much hope & encouragement, that

they help to keep me going.

I am hoping to at least get to some tolerable/ functionable level by 13mo.

I think you are right, that it takes longer than we may think, & need to be prepared for that.

But its also heartening to know that it DOES get easier!

Thank you again, & may the glorious blue skies here shine down on you,

margaretisabel

Good work Eugene! This is such an encouraging story.  It's great to see someone who was on such a large dose of the worst possible benzo come through the other end of a cold turkey withdraw symptom free. 

Glad that you're feeling better!

Best regards,

Kitco

Thank you so much for sharing your story and wisdom.

You have brought me some comfort and a measure of hope.

Congratulations on getting through and feeling yourself again.

Continued health.

Another tragic example of doctors -- why would they do this??

Sofar

• 7 months later...
thank u so much for that article i am 9 months out and still an horrible fear brain fog extreme anxiety sometimes i just  want to give up. but then i read your article it makes me keep fighting thank u so much.