Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Klonopin Klub

[re...]

Hi Folks- update- added .125 to last nights dose trying to find stability. My .25 first cut for 9 days was too much. Well woke up feeling more anxious this am:(

Is that unusual? Wondering if I should push back to 1 tonight- or why I could

Be feeling worse? Maybe just continued w/d?

Help please

• Replies 31.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [ca...]

• [NY...]

• [In...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MarkMurphy, LetsgoBirds and others new to KKlub- welcome. I can not emphasize enough how much this process takes TIME. Once you have decided to make a change, give yourself 3 to 7 days to see how it feels. During that time, make a few notes for yourself each day on how you are doing, but otherwise try to let go and let it just wash over you. Then after the few days have passed look back and see how it worked out. Wondering and worrying every few hours about what is happening can only make you feel worse. The other key word here is STABLE. If you have been shifting doses around for a while, or dabbling with other benzos- resolve to put all of that on hold and give your brain a good two week rest before you try anything new.

Please do try to read the Ashton manual (the most important info is at the beginning and you dont have to read the whole thing). I dont have the link for it but one of the moderators will have posted it to you in your welcome message. I know that when you are in a dark place it can be hard to concentrate and read, so- My summary of it (i.e. opinion/personal experience) is that there is no single solution that works for everybody. There will be some trial and error. For a lot of people, it is actually very easy- especially the first time you taper- which is why you want to do that first one right if you possibly can. There is a big difference (for some people) between cutting 0.25 and holding for a month vs cutting 0.125 every two weeks. You get to the same place, but the landing can be gentler. Imagine trying to ride a bike down stairs instead of a gradual slope. However, no one can tell you what will work for you. Go back and read this thread to see other people's plans and then pick one (ideally with the help and support of your doctor). Dont read too much into the suffering- everyone is different and you should plan on being just fine. You will deal with what happens in the future, in the future.

A LOT of people can direct taper klonopin and do great. I did it once (0.125 every two weeks)- it wasnt easy but I had some burning personal motivation to make it happen. Unfortunately I didnt know that a benzo is a benzo is a benzo and when my doctor gave me ativan things got really bad really quick- back to klonopin and a taper that was excruciating. So I decided to follow the Ashton protocol and switch to klonopin. FOR ME it has been a much better experience thus far. To do the crossover you need to have a doctor who will support giving you flexibility in your dosing and time. For those having a hard time believing that a 0.25 cut could be so difficult, just think of it as dropping 5 mg of valium- because that is what it is! The published benefits are that valium is less potent, so you can cut in smaller increments. It also has a longer half life with more active metabolites so it is like you get a parachute to cover your fall as you bump down those stairs in dose reduction.

That's a lot of words, maybe just easier to read the Ashton manual :)

Have a great day everyone and .... JustKeepSwimming

I had to cut my aggressive taper back from .25 mg to .125 yesterday.  After only four days, the w/d were getting me so agitated that I could not even sit still.  I feel "weirded out" and wired today, and I am having doubts weather I can do this or not.  I was able to get some sleep last night though.  I have a lot of energy this morning, so I am going to take a walk and do my best to try and burn off some of this excess jitters.  :D

JustkeepSwimming;  Wanted to say I think what you have written is well done!  I love the bumpy stair analogy and also the parachute.  Thank you for taking the time to write this out for everyone; especially the newcomers.  I remember how confused and scared I was when I first started.

wishing you wellness,

Flutterbye

Hi Adam. I had the jitters really bad while tapering and when I first jumped. It will pass. I walked alt too and it helped.

Justkeepswimming is exactly right! I just wanted to add that there just isn't any say around withdrawal. At some point you will feel bad. I wanted to die so many times, but guess what? It passed. :) I am 4 weeks off now and symptom free! Loving life again. It really does end!

JKS,

That post is great advice for everyone here. Time is the huge factor for one thing. It is a bit "unrealistic" to expect to feel changes in an up dose overnight. Giving yourself 3-7 days is sensible as K takes anywhere from 3-14 to build to full strength.

Another good point is the issue of "bouncing around" on your benzo whether it be up and down or from one benzo to another. Doing this is definitely going to affect those GABA receptors. They will interpret this activity in SOME WAY, and it's very individual, and no one can really tell anyone else how that interpretation is going to happen or be or end up.

Stability is another good one to address. I think it's generally what I said last night; feeling like your sx (if you're having withdrawl sx or sx at all) are manageable, and that they are not changing. But for sure, if one is going up and down on their benzo or adding other benzos here and there into "the mix," and doing this in search of stability, it's going to make one less stable. Your brain just keeps reacting to these changes, and simply cannot stabilize. It's best to "pick a course and stay the course" IMO.

And finally, I totally agree, and it's widely demonstrated pretty much on all benzo sites, that your first taper off your first benzo can be your easiest ne to do. And that's why just picking that course of taper and doing it is often best. One can still slow down on the amount of mgs being tapered without doubt. But at least one is going down and "not all over the place."

I just thought a lot of this post was rather valuable info, and worth reiteration.

Intend

I lot of good advice.  I felt sad when Jaxy said you were gone, Rek.  You were both two people that really encouraged me.  I'm still going well with this latest cut, 4 more days and i will cut again.  keeping an alarm set for that 2 pm dose has helped a lot... or maybe its just better at these lower doses... sure does feel good to start feeling normal sometimes again... did I just say that!!! :crazy:

Oh, thank you, Njoy, for your kind words!  I don't want to leave anyone in the lurch--as you can see, I'm not really gone.  I guess I'm just not going to be as regular or be able to address people individually so much.  But I really do care about the folks here, and I'd like to keep cheering from the sidelines in some fashion.  And by the way I'm so GLAD to find you saying the words, "good to start feeling normal again . . . "!!!  More power to you!

And to everyone.

Sleep well -

Peace,

Rek

To Jax, Justkeepswimming, Intend, and everyone else....THANK YOU. Your words are incredible power to me, they really are.

I've been on this initial cut of .25 mg of one of my 1 mg pills I take per day, and yes I have hand tremors, general shakes, foggy head, but I feel like I can do this. I don't feel "bad" enough to go back up in dosage. So, I'm going to smile and fight through it.

A quick question (I know, I ask a lot!): how exactly other than using a really sharp knife does one cut a Klonipin pill into eighths? If I'm being optimistic, which I want to be, in a few weeks time, my next cut will be from .75mg - .625 mg.....which I have no idea how to do.

Thank you to everyone, again.

Intend,  Thank you also for taking the time to write out some great information.  It is so helpful to many of us.  I for one appreciate the time it takes.

Hope you are doing well,

Flutterbye

Glad I could help- I've certainly drawn a lot from this community myself! I am so glad to hear the joy in your words morechocolate... I wish you nothing but clear sailing from this point on!

I reread my last post and realized I wrote follow ashton and switch to klonopin but I meant Valium! Oops, even on a good day things get a little muddled. Hope that didn't confuse anyone.

Birds- you can get 0.5 mg pills of klonopin to help with the cuts then you only have to cut quarters (pill cutter helps) instead of eighths, but eighths can also be done. You sound strong- I just have to put in one more pitch to stay away from the Ativan...

JKS

Reks, clearly although you are no longer addicted to Klonopin, you are surely addicted to the Klonopin Klub. Yay!  ;D

Jaxy -  ;)

Yup, can't help myself  :laugh:

And what a better addiction it is, I must say.

To everyone--good morning and good healing--my heart and thoughts are with you all!

Peace,

Rek

still  out here w/ no real computer... i hate these little machines... letters keep bouncing all over the place.  I'm using .5 Ktabs... I cut them up w/ a pill cutter in  8 pieces( 4 to each half) and then weigh them... I try leo cut slightly  bigger than I need... then shave them down to the right weight.  still problem getting places and some minor problems but a lot of good stuff is starting to happen fast. I suppose.  it won't last but sure feels good.

Howdy:

I seem to recall you saying your Mg dose was 225 mg/day. Since the body is very good at eliminating unneeded Mg, I suggest you try 400 mg/day in 2 doses about 12 hours apart. See if you notice any improvement. I got good results from doing just that. And I'm still using Epsom salt, glycinate should arrive tomorrow.

Bay windows  :smitten:

Aweigh

Hello Klonopin Klub, I have a question.  I am tapering Klonopin and Im down to .54mg.  I have been tapering for 18 months and have about 10 months to go.  I have terrible night time interdose wd.  My legs start to shake, burn and twitch and I get a horrible headache.  I was wanting to get advice from others here that are currently tapering Klonopin.  Does anyone else have wd between doses?  I dose 3 times a day. 

Thank you

GG

Good morning, folks!  As Jaxy said, I'm addicted . . . not to Klonopin (and I'm ineffably grateful for that), but to BB and KK.  I've kept on, after all, posting here and in on one other thread as well; not quite sure how this happened.  At any rate, never mind; I'm posting more erratically, is all.  As JKS says, this is a wonderful community.

Godsgrace, I only ever took clonazepam at night, so while I was on the stuff it wasn't the nights that were the worst--it was the days, presumably because that's when I'd have interdose withdrawal.  At any rate, the symptoms you describe (minus the headache, which for some reason was never a primary symptom for me) sound very familiar.  Awful, I know, to be going through that when all you want is to sleep.  Have you tried anything for the symptoms--from deep breathing to benign supplements like magnesium?  (See Aweigh's post--he mentions magnesium glycinate, which is the kind I also recommend)  You should probably be wary of supplements in general, but magnesium should be OK, and it MAY help.

NJoy, I hope you get your computer back soon; I know what you mean about those little devices--they drive me nuts too!

Take care of yourselves, everyone.

Peace,

Rek

Hi I dose three times a day and yes I have the same symptoms and more when it gets close to the time I'm supposed to take the next dose. I'm glad you brought this up I was wondering if anyone had this happen to them also. I haven't slept well since this wd all started! I get so  >:(  angry when I toss and turn all night I look at the clock and it is 1am or 2am and toss and turn more and look and it may be 3:15 am and still no sleep This goes on all night I am going to try the mag and see if it helps How much would you start out with? Thanks again for everyone's input on this

Imsaved

I'm taking Mg Oxide....250 mg a night... has really helped a lot w/ sleeping.  Can't speak to the other kinds.  Godsgrace, it may be just a time in the w/d process... I had a lot of this a few months ago... its almost all gone away now... shows up occasionally even w/ a smooth w/d, I think for those receptors to heal, we are goiing to suffer some discomfort.  You're dosing schedule seems optimal.  Just try to persevere.  I'm still up here on the mountain.  Freak out once in awhile about getting back home... but it passes and it sure is nice to wake up w/ somebody on a daily basis. Makes him feel better to keep an eye on me, :smitten:Njoy

Thanks Njoy I will try that I hope it helps Thanks for your input on this I do think if I could sleep some I would do better  :smitten:  Everyone here has been a Godsent I don't have alot of family support but sure glad I have my Lord and you guys  :angel: 

Imsaved

Just Checking In,

I am about a week into my taper and three days ago, I upped my taper dose from .25 mg to .125 (or cutting my dose, whatever)  I feel better today after changing the taper three days ago, but after reading how changing a taper can effect the brain many days after it's started, it seems like a better idea to try going back down to the .25 mg cut tomarrow and see what happens.  In the mean time, I have been taking hydroxizine along with Kava Kava to help me sleep.  I have been getting the night sweets, but I don't know if that is just because it's getting hot, or W/D.

I'm like you adamadaman I have night sweats also eventho I don't sleep well at all I was wondering the same thing If this is part of WD or just because it is hot here also. I use the air condition sometimes if the temp is up really high but still seem to get night sweats! 

Imsaved

Cold turkey off Klonipin 2mg three times a day

A month later found a Dr to listen and started me all over on Klonipin (2mg three times a day)

Since I had been without it anyway started out on 3mg a day (1mg three times a day)

First taper to 2.5 mg a day Couldn't handle it (1mg twice a day 1/2mg once a day)

Went up to 2 and 3/4 pill a day ( 1mg twice a day 3/4 mg once a day)

For me the night sweats are part of wd.  When I went off a few years back too quickly and naively I was soaking the bed.  Now it comes and goes but sometimes it gets pretty yucky.  Just my opinion but I think night sweats are part of this journey.

wishing everyone wellness,

Flutterbye

Think I stabilized today from first cut.. Made through without severe anxiety crushing. Headaches, etc.

apparently going from 1 to .75 was too much after only 3 months on K. I was .75 for 9 days and couldnt handle :( upped to .875 for last  3 and today was much better...not excellent but much better!

First step done!

2 questions - how long does one wait at new dose after 'stabling' before cutting again? Thinking of going for .75 - or .815 or switching to milk- which I need to figure out how to do

Any suggestions? The support from this group is amazing.

I'm taking Mg Oxide....250 mg a night... has really helped a lot w/ sleeping.  Can't speak to the other kinds.  Godsgrace, it may be just a time in the w/d process... I had a lot of this a few months ago... its almost all gone away now... shows up occasionally even w/ a smooth w/d, I think for those receptors to heal, we are goiing to suffer some discomfort.  You're dosing schedule seems optimal.  Just try to persevere.  I'm still up here on the mountain.  Freak out once in awhile about getting back home... but it passes and it sure is nice to wake up w/ somebody on a daily basis. Makes him feel better to keep an eye on me, :smitten:Njoy

Yeah, it makes him feel better...why, that's mighty nice of you  :laugh:

aweigh

PS: You might try taking 400 mg of Mg/day for a couple of days and see if that is any more effective. That's 666 mg of MgO (oxide), which is 60% Mg.

[84...]