Why does ibuprofen help me sleep?

[Ho...]

I swear this isn't just in my head.... lately I've been having the jaw pain again, so I've been taking 2-3 regular strength ibuprofen at bedtime, and I've been sleeping really easily. If I don't take them, my insomnia is horrible again.  ???

I'm not sure.  I do know that when I used to take aspirin, then it would calm me down and I could sleep.  Maybe some other members can respond and relay their experiences.  I would just be careful not to take it too often or too much, due to the numerous side effects it can have on some people.

fg

I had a friend who would take ibuprophen and fall asleep.  We never knew why, but clearly for a small minority it does happen.  Additionally, it's an antiinflammation drug.  Perhaps you have inflammation that for some reason when it's mitigated makes you sleep. 

So although rare, I've witnessed the sleep properties of ibuprophen for at least one other person, so it is not in your head.

WWWI

• 2 weeks later...
I've read that NSAIDs or ibuprophen/advil are GABA antagonists based on a rat study. Can't find orginal scientific article to back this because I also like to take ibuprophen, and can't live without it when I have my monthlys. I also feel calmer when I take it, so I think there may be something to it. Does this mean we should avoid it?

Well, if you are having pain that is waking you up IMO you are reducing the pain and imflammation and you are able to sleep without being woken by the pain. Ladygrace

Holly,

Actually, it isn't in your head. I used to take Ibuprofen for this purpose, and it helped me sleep. I swear it knocked me out.

I have known other people, who took Ibuprofen and it made them drowsy as well.

Billy.

• 4 weeks later...