Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Patriot can you post your drug profile with all the other drugs you have been taking and tapering? If so, are tapering more than one at the same time? Down from 7 to 4.5 is success. I looked up akathisia: Overview. Akathisia is a condition that causes a feeling of restlessness and an urgent need to move. Akathisia is a side effect of older, first-generation antipsychotic drugs used to treat mental health conditions like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, but it can also occur with newer antipsychotics as well.

I would closely monitor yourself for intervention. At minimal, some holistic intervention.

Regards Powerball

Hi all -- question about the liquid taper. I am crushing a 1 mg tablet and dissolving in 2 mL vodka, then adding 8 mL water for a total of 10 mL solution then I draw from that for my doses. Looks like there's a lot of leftover crumbs/powder in various places when I do this. It seems imprecise/highly variable as to what I'm actually getting. The last two nights I've awakened in a fright/terror after about 3 hours of sleep, with physical symptoms of panic. Anyone have experience with switching from liquid taper to dry and feeling better? Or wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the liquid preparation.

Thanks

Hi I'm new to this site and currently on Ativan 1 mg daily. I tried lowering to 0.75 but felt terrible after 2 days . Already my anxiety is terrible while on this don't know how I'm gonna withdraw I'm freaking out

Hi all -- question about the liquid taper. I am crushing a 1 mg tablet and dissolving in 2 mL vodka, then adding 8 mL water for a total of 10 mL solution then I draw from that for my doses. Looks like there's a lot of leftover crumbs/powder in various places when I do this. It seems imprecise/highly variable as to what I'm actually getting. The last two nights I've awakened in a fright/terror after about 3 hours of sleep, with physical symptoms of panic. Anyone have experience with switching from liquid taper to dry and feeling better? Or wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the liquid preparation.

Hi Heartsonfire, I don't have experience switching from liquid to dry tapering (or trying dry) because the liquid has been working well for me.  It doesn't seem like any method guarantees you won't experience symptoms. I make the same 1:2:8 solution, but don't crush the tablets first.  There is powder that sinks in the solution which I have read is fillers from the tabs not the active ingredient. I still shake it just in case.  If it was me I would try holding until symptoms subsided and then proceed at a slower pace. It looks like you reduced 10% in 7 days when you went from .9 to .8mg. I realize different methods work better for different people.  Wishing you more peaceful nights, Luey

p.s. It took me quite a few weeks of holding and slowing down before I got my symptoms under control and figured out a reduction rate.  Eventually I settled into 5% every 22 days. I do daily micro reductions.

Hi I'm new to this site and currently on Ativan 1 mg daily. I tried lowering to 0.75 but felt terrible after 2 days . Already my anxiety is terrible while on this don't know how I'm gonna withdraw I'm freaking out

Hi Bikhawks, I don't know your history, but cutting 25% off a dose would be a big cut for the majority of us on this group.  If you look through people's signatures you'll get an idea of people's rate of reduction. It's hard to cut pills smaller than 1/4mg, that's why most of us switched to a titration method. Maybe go back up to 1mg and when your anxiety subsides, proceed more slowly doing either liquid or dry titration. Let us know if you need more info.  Luey

Hi & thanks Luey. I'll try not crushing first, but just dissolving in the jar I'm going to keep the liquid in. (I was crushing with mortar and pestle, then adding vodka, then the water, then dumping the whole thing in the jar.). Also I plan to hold here awhile.

Thanks much.

Heartsonfire

Hi & thanks Luey. I'll try not crushing first, but just dissolving in the jar I'm going to keep the liquid in. (I was crushing with mortar and pestle, then adding vodka, then the water, then dumping the whole thing in the jar.). Also I plan to hold here awhile.

Thanks much.

Heartsonfire

Just a couple thoughts that may or may not be helpful. First being afraid about the non dissolved powder can itself cause symptoms.  I have a friend who was a prison nurse and when she tapered people off of drugs she'd taper them down then give them a placebo for a while before giving them nothing. Also I don't think everything has to be perfect and exact. I actually crushed my pill and mixed it with water which made a suspension and I just stirred it well as I was withdrawing the dose from it with a syringe. I'm not suggesting water at all for you--just saying my clumsy method worked. 

Good morning everyone.

So many new buddies.

Lisa - Thinking of you and hoping your new job is going well.

Powerball - I know I am a bit behind but your fiasco with your scale must have been SO STRESSFULL! Glad to hear you got it figured out. It is amazing how much our worlds revolve around dosing now. I am looking forward to the day when dosing is a thing of the past.

Luey - What a fantastic birthday celebration!! Proof that life does get better.

I have had to slow down considerably. It can be hard sometimes not to compare your personal progress with others.

Hope everyone will find moments of peace and relaxation this week.

Committed

Can someone please help. I’m having a really rough period where I am experiencing severe akathasia each day along with everything else. Has anyone dealt with this as well. My depression has got me so down and I am experiencing severe social anxiety, I don’t know how much is from Benzo and how much from being in my room a lot even though I go out each day and do several things. I’ve never been so anxious and scared of seeing my friends etc. and felt so hopeless. Has anyone else felt this way like there is too much to overcome? Has anyone added Valium successfully to get off Ativan? I started at 7mg in August and am at 4.35mg.

Hi Patriot, I wanted to respond to your msg.  So sorry you are going through a really rough period.  The akathisia you describe sounds so difficult.  There is another member in this group who has described something similar, maybe she will respond to you too. I also read by another member when they slowed down their taper, the akathisia subsided. Slowing down or holding always seems to be the most universal answer for every symptom.  You are making progress.  I started tapering from 6mg. 11 months ago.  It went ok for about six weeks and then my symptoms ramped up. It took me quite a while to slow down enough to get my symptoms under control. I can't remember, do you have a pdoc who supports you and can help you monitor symptoms and your taper?  I agree with Powerball carefully monitor your symptoms (ideally with help of a doc) and meanwhile try to maximize your overall health through nutrition, moderate exercise, etc.  I found a supportive weekly hiking partner which is helping me greatly.  I definitely have to be selective about the people and settings I'm in, situations where I feel good and not stressed. Keep getting out everyday doing healthy things.  Hang in there,  Luey

p.s. Yes this has seemed overwhelming at times. A few months ago, I broke down and cried wondering how I could ever make it. Then back to one step, one minute, one day at a time. Doing things to take care of myself helps a lot.  I know some people have crossed over to valium. I've heard it helps some people and others feel worse so they switch back to Ativan. My  pdoc did try to prescribe me valium but it did not help so I decided to just stick with A.

Good evening Blkhawks. I agree with LUey. I could nerver go from 1 to .75 mg. My body would go into revolt and I would get no sleep. Personally, from 1 mg I would dry cut using a ultra slow dose method to see how you feel. At 1 mg I would reduce by 0.001, and I slept well, I would speed up to a 0.002 reduction and so on. That sounds like slow, but everything I hear is that the low doses are the hardest to reduce and that is where I am (from 4 mg in late March to o.22mg Friday night).

I finally have entered the lose dose eerie syndrome. Friday night I slept on 0.22mg. Saturday night I had 6 oz of cider at dinner, and yes, my sleep got disrupted. I know I got up to updose but I do not recall by  how much - it wasn't a lot. Last night I tried to go to 0.20mg but I could not sleep. I was supposed to have my interview today for my permanent position (from Interim) and I knew I had to go into work rested. So I updosed to about 0.36mg and slept. I think I am going to slow up from the nightly reduction of 0.001 per night. Tonight I will return to that dose where I slept well at 0.22mg. Depending on how I do, I will figure out a plan. AF1 got down to 0.03 before jumping, I imagine I will do the same. Best wishes to everyone. Every night I pray for all my Ativan-haters and hope your symptoms improve and that your taper continues in a healing way. Good night. Powerball

hello!!

I am new to this benzo withdrawal workd. Got prescribed Ativan for anxiety and ended up in withdrawal. Never even knew this drug had such thing.

I am currently on my taper. On: 0.320 mg day (2x per day) - dry cutting

I am wondering if anyone gets any paradoxical reaction when holding with ativan? Sometimes I feel like I hold to stabilize and it just gets worst as I hold. i only took the drug for 2 months and a half. Its been 3 months counting the taper! Thanks for your help

For Patriot, I read this quote on another thread:

For newer members who might read this thread:

If you happen to get akathisia during your withdrawal, please, please don't ever believe that you won't recover. Yes, it feels horrific and like you can't possibly improve. Many (or most) members never come down with this symptom, but those who do or have will know what I mean.

...I was probably one of the worst, as far as akathisia goes... and I never thought I'd survive it. I won't go into detail here, as I don't want to cause more upset.

I am still in recovery and dealing with other symptoms, but I no longer have akathisia. It might well take you a lot quicker (or somewhat longer) than it did for me, but akathisia will resolve. The day will come when you start experiencing moments of peace in your body, and those times will grow. No matter how badly you are suffering right now, you will get much, much better. Hang in there. Others have come through akathisia, and so will you. You can and you will outlast it.

Wildflower

Patriot ,

I also had this for 3 months not terrible but very uncomfortable could never relax in my own body . Could never find a place to sit in my house and feel comfortable . Had to walk a lot and try to distract myself . It took time. But did go slowly and now it’s gone . If I move too quickly in my cuts I feel restless but nothing like when I first had it .

Hang in there it all gets better in time .

Lisa

Good Morning Friends,

Today I am celebrating reaching 1.75mgs. and feeling good for almost three months. 

In 11 months I have dropped 4.25mgs from my starting dose of 6mgs a day. I need to keep reminding myself to focus on the progress I have made so far and not the distance I have left to go!

Thank you for all of the support!!! 

Luey

CM22 - I was on Ativan for a few months as well.  Likewise, 1mg per day.  I generally felt better the lower the amount got.  I didn't know about withdrawal and tried to quit cold turkey after a few months of use, and that was a terrible experience - just crazy levels of anxiety.  I jumped about a week and a half ago, after tapering (see my signature).  Since the jump, things are good.  Ears still ring, but less now. 

Good luck, and I'm glad you're already at a low dosage.  Take your time and control your own taper, and you'll be off soon.

One thing that worked for me, I took some Benedryl (anti-histamine) when the symptoms of anxiety were high at night.  That helped me fall asleep without needing to up dose the Ativan.  But, get good medical advice before you take anything.  Unfortunately the medical advice to take Ativan is not good, as it should only be used for a week or so at most.

Luey, congratulations on your progress!! You are doing amazing and you are such a great support for the rest of us on here.

Powerball, I completely agree the lower doses are the hardest for me too.

Everyone, I had a better day today and somewhat better yesterday.  I am still holding, which I'm okay with -- I'm trying hard not to update.  Last time I cut, it took about two months for me to even out to where I was before the cut, and it's been just about 2 months now since my last cut so ... maybe this isn't logical, but I'm hopeful maybe easier times are soon to come.

Hoping for all of us that things soon get easier.

Haimona

LUEY! Congrats! We are two high dosers and making extraordinary progress. AFI, I was at .22mg but I could not go lower. I had to cheat two nights but that really doesn't cause me to interrupt back to my usual dose. Granted I had two events that got in the way for two nights: drank 6 oz of Cider one night and then had to updose to sleep so I could be fresh for my interview (which got canceled since my boss and I had a crazy day).

So I saw my Psych today and he was amazed that I could cut my doses so small!! I said I use milligram scale that goes to 0.001. He seemed a little surprised. So I am having the low dose struggles. I am at 0.25 mg tonight (up from 0.22). I am going to up every other night 0.001 until I get sleep recovery. My plan is to then hold a bit and then try a new taper, maybe reduce by 0.001 every three days to see how it goes. I am still the only one here on Ativan just for sleep I believe, so the quality of my sleep is my chief barometer. This is all an experiment for us, no? My doc embraced my strategy. I really wanted off Ativan before my trip to Peru on December 21, but it might not happen. I said to him "it is all relative, no big deal." He is Russian. He laughed a little  and agreed. I do like his use of analogies. He is very "cut to the chase" or when I declare something is major, he will say "oh that is just a blemish." And I responded today, "Yes, no one is perfect." Right, so how come I got to this age still believing in these things I call "flaws." Fu....It!! Good night. Powerball.

Hi, i am tapering ATivan. i have such anxiety and fear.  i had to updose a tad, once again last week, bcause i  made a mistakee in my tapeer calculations. :(  and was tapering waaay to fast for my old body. :(  hit me like bad ton of bricks. i hope, even tho i am in tolerancee, that this hold will help a bit. i won't hold long.  i am floaty boaty, i have cognitive impairment.  and, fear and anixiety.  MY REAL QUESTION is my worry WORRY WORRY. over my micro solution i make.   

could someone please, be kind and have compassion on my poor confused brain.  i use 10 pills, 3 10 ml of vodka and 97 syringes of water (also 10 ml syringes)  and that's my batch.  ok.    so, my question is this, and i hope someone takees pity and answers me, because of my OCD and my worry about this .  and, if i don't geet this answered i am neever going to find peace and trust this micro taper. :(  and that's not good.   

here is the question:  i dose 4 times daily , ativan , 3.30.  HOW ON EARTH does the ativan KNOW to go and march up my syringe in exactly .91  (dose i need). ?????  how can i be assured i AM getting the .91 when i put my syringe in a pull up the plunger ??/  i mean, :( how does the ativan know it is supposed to go up there and give me .91  (no more, no less). ??? does this question make sense. and please, could some kind soul please answer it for me.  as clear as you can, i am a cog fog and having hard timee, and old, 65.  alonee, too.  please please help me understand. so, i can gain trust in my taper method.  I NEED TO KNOW that when i draw for .74, i am getting .74, and no more or LESS ativan.  as that up and down can  be harrder on CNS.  help.  thankyou kindly.

Hi, i am tapering ATivan. i have such anxiety and fear.  i had to updose a tad, once again last week, bcause i  made a mistakee in my tapeer calculations. :(  and was tapering waaay to fast for my old body. :(  hit me like bad ton of bricks. i hope, even tho i am in tolerancee, that this hold will help a bit. i won't hold long.  i am floaty boaty, i have cognitive impairment.  and, fear and anixiety.  MY REAL QUESTION is my worry WORRY WORRY. over my micro solution i make.   

could someone please, be kind and have compassion on my poor confused brain.  i use 10 pills, 3 10 ml of vodka and 97 syringes of water (also 10 ml syringes)  and that's my batch.  ok.    so, my question is this, and i hope someone takees pity and answers me, because of my OCD and my worry about this .  and, if i don't geet this answered i am neever going to find peace and trust this micro taper. :(  and that's not good.   

here is the question:  i dose 4 times daily , ativan , 3.30.  HOW ON EARTH does the ativan KNOW to go and march up my syringe in exactly .91  (dose i need). ?????  how can i be assured i AM getting the .91 when i put my syringe in a pull up the plunger ??/  i mean, :( how does the ativan know it is supposed to go up there and give me .91  (no more, no less). ??? does this question make sense. and please, could some kind soul please answer it for me.  as clear as you can, i am a cog fog and having hard timee, and old, 65.  alonee, too.  please please help me understand. so, i can gain trust in my taper method.  I NEED TO KNOW that when i draw for .74, i am getting .74, and no more or LESS ativan.  as that up and down can  be harrder on CNS.  help.  thankyou kindly.

here is the question:  i dose 4 times daily , ativan , 3.30.  HOW ON EARTH does the ativan KNOW to go and march up my syringe in exactly .91  (dose i need). ?????  how can i be assured i AM getting the .91 when i put my syringe in a pull up the plunger ??/  i mean, :( how does the ativan know it is supposed to go up there and give me .91  (no more, no less). ??? does this question make sense. and please, could some kind soul please answer it for me.  as clear as you can, i am a cog fog and having hard timee, and old, 65.  alonee, too.  please please help me understand. so, i can gain trust in my taper method.  I NEED TO KNOW that when i draw for .74, i am getting .74, and no more or LESS ativan.  as that up and down can  be harrder on CNS.  help.  thankyou Kindly.

Hi Cathy, I am very sorry you are feeling desperate and alone in this process. I see you posted your message here twice and also on the Titration Board. Your message is very confusing for me, I don't understand how you are making your solution and I don't understand your questions either.  Maybe somebody on the Titration Board can help you figure it out. I know you have been trying to figure this out for a long time and still having a very difficult time. 

If somebody can't help you on the Titration Board, my honest opinion is to go back to doing a Direct Taper.  I would ask your doc. for 0.5mg tablets which you can break into four pieces (1/8 of a mg). I would remove 1/8 and hold at that dose until you feel stable. Then remove another 1/8mg. and hold again, etc. 

I imagine you will not like my suggestion out of concern the cuts will cause you difficult symptoms.  But it is the simplest solution if the liquid micro taper is too confusing. You will be less likely to make mistakes.

My other suggestion is somehow find a medical professional to help you in person.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  Listen to your body, hold and go as slowly as needed.

I do wish you the best.

Luey