Chronic Stuffy Nose - Anyone Else?

[...]

I have had a chronic stuffy nose (without mucus) for as long as I can remember.  I think it started sometime when I was on benzos and it has continued since I got off.  I never even thought of it as a withdrawal symptom until it went away completely for about 10 days recently for no reason whatsoever.  Has anyone else experienced this as a withdrawal symptom?  That would be so amazing if that went away too.

Ryan

Hiya Ryan

I also suffer with the chronic stuffy nose.  I'm 5 months off and it hasn't let up for the most part.  During windows my nasal passages open up, and my sense of smell comes back. 

ryan, now that you mentioned it,yes i do. i blow my nose constantly but there is nothing there. i wonder if the headaches are caused by dry sinus problems? i was out in the cold wind today and got a bad headache for a couple of hours. your sinus run down the middle of your head and all around the sides(sagital sinus) really our nerves are affected all over our bodies. sometimes different fingers will go numb,really weird. rstud

I have had a chronic stuffy nose (without mucus) for as long as I can remember.  I think it started sometime when I was on benzos and it has continued since I got off.  I never even thought of it as a withdrawal symptom until it went away completely for about 10 days recently for no reason whatsoever.  Has anyone else experienced this as a withdrawal symptom?  That would be so amazing if that went away too.

Ryan

I used to say ...I like getting a cold...I never thought it was a wd thing but since I have gotten off the drugs (at 3 mgs V now) the sinuses are caked far worse than anything prior. I do think it is wd. I also have the worst case of cotton mouth in my life and it has been many months since I didn't have that.

Robb

Yep!  My sinuses have been clogged since detox.  Like Sam541 mine too seems to improve during windows, so I think it is just a matter of time before this one disappears for good.

Yes, I have noticed this since being on (and now off) of Benzos.  Not sure why this happens, but it seems to be common with many.  Most days I can ignore it but I definitely notice it being a constant.

All the best,

Schatje

Ryan,

I'm glad you posted this. I'm in a unique situation was it the "chicken or the egg". In Jan. I got a botched root canal and a day later started with some parathesia on the left side of my face. I was misdiagnosed with Bell's Palsy and given methypredisone and acyclovir made things worse so I jumped off 2 days shy of the treatment.(not recommended). I'm anxiety prone, however for the last five years I was virtually anxiety free with the occasional klonopin. I would say maybe a few days out of the year. Well after the steroids my anxiety went up to a 10 and started taking more klonopin and started on lexapro. 3 weeks later I could literally feel my nasal cavity dry out. Stupid me thinking it was a side effect and that it would go away... never did. Plus extra dental procedure on the same tooth which finally got extracted in June has brought me no relief. I'm left with a pulling or tight face and nasal obstruction. Its stuffy, no mucus and if there is its white glue and spongy. I also feel like I'm suffocating I can spray afrin and have my nose wide open and still not feel satisfied. Last ENT said it was neurological, the closest thing I could find of what I'm feeling is empty nose syndrome but I haven't had any turbinate removal. Sorry I'm all over the place but its been a living hell. I have part of scope that I use to use when my kids had ear infection to breath. It keeps the airway open, Ive tried some nose dilators, strips,sprays , allergy medicines. Taken tests you name it. I'm on klonopin still after all this months because of what happen but I have suspicion that its  not helping with my nasal issues. I have to brave and somehow get off it completely. I'm terrified and have no idea whats going on. I went to infectious disease doc and he put me on some antibiotics thinking it might be infection in the bone. So far i feel no different. I'm lost and really don't know where to go from here.

Ryan,

I am 13 months off c/t from ativan and I too have the stuffy sinus going on. When I am in a window it is much better so I have to believe that it is a w/s too. I have seen an ent and he found nothing.

Rain

I can't say that I ever felt stuffy during my time on the drug or during wd, but I know that it was having some kind of an effect on that part of my body because when I get windows my sinuses open up and my sense of smell comes back to me. It's funny because I never realized that my sense of smell was so dull. Last few days I have also had a weird head sensation that I believe is from my sinuses opening up. Feels like I am going into a window again as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Ryan, how are you doing?  Any updates?

Sharil

Still not well.  This latest setback has been long and intense - over two months long and counting.  I feel like i have fallen off the rails.  I don't know what to make of this after so many months of gradual improvement.  Heartbreaking, to say the least.

YES! And unfortunately, I started using nasal spray for SOME relief, and now I can't get off of that. My sleep is already so compromised I end up using it in the middle of the night. I'm going to try to get off of it soon. I think mine is related to the trazadone I am taking for sleep (which isn't working too well anymore so I'm probably going to taper off that as well).

Hi Ryan,

Oh gosh you have the curse of the stopped up nose, so do I, simply put this is a heller!!!

I noticed you took ambien, I also have taken ambien for years, i just am 2 days off of it, but wanted to tell you

the ambien causes inflammation of the sinsus, I know you are no longer on it, but it may just be a residual

effect of ever being on it.  Hope you get over this, cause i for one know how debilitating it is for me, and wouldnt

wish it on anyone.

Peace and Blessing for you

Belle

Has anyone considered Neti Pot?  I'm prone to sinus infections, runny nose, etc, so I started using this and it feels better. Just water and fine pure salt, no iodine or sea salt.

just an idea

Ryan, how are you doing?  Any updates?

Sharil

Still not well.  This latest setback has been long and intense - over two months long and counting.  I feel like i have fallen off the rails.  I don't know what to make of this after so many months of gradual improvement.  Heartbreaking, to say the least.

Ryan,  I'm right there with you.  Months 23 and 24 and now 25 have been rough.  I'm wondering if its because I was anticipating improving at 2 years out and it didn't happen.  I never anticipated another difficult holiday season.  I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it rarely lasts longer than 3 years.  So Ryan worst case scenario we are 2/3 of the way there so lets just support each other.    Sharil

I meant to attach this

Ryan,  I'm right there with you.  Months 23 and 24 and now 25 have been rough.  I'm wondering if its because I was anticipating improving at 2 years out and it didn't happen.  I never anticipated another difficult holiday season.  I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it rarely lasts longer than 3 years.  So Ryan worst case scenario we are 2/3 of the way there so lets just support each other.    Sharil

I meant to attach this

Sharil,

I guess I'd be more freaked out if I had been feeling this way all along.  But since I saw improvement for so many months and I haven't done anything that would set me back, I can only assume this wave is a sign of healing and I have to just wait it out.  I've heard of people having very long recoveries, but I have not heard of anyone getting gradually worse as time went on.  The last two times I had a very severe setback (one lasting 6 weeks and one lasting 3 months), I saw an overall general improvement afterward.  I am getting impatient at this point but trying to stay focused.  It can't last forever. 

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. I had it so bad in my right nasal cavity that I was sent to ENT.  I'm 10 weeks off and it's clearing up. Every morning, it drains and drains and it's so odd.  It comes and goes, but I know it's benzo-related.  It will all go away. :)

Ryan, not trying to stalk you, but you and Nuala and two people I follow because we are both off about the same.  I know we shouldn't compare withdrawals because each is unique, but it does help to know how someone is doing that is in a similar time frame.  Any update would be appreciated.  I am going through some huge swings from good to bad, and they are happening rapidly.  Thanks

Ryan, not trying to stalk you, but you and Nuala and two people I follow because we are both off about the same.  I know we shouldn't compare withdrawals because each is unique, but it does help to know how someone is doing that is in a similar time frame.  Any update would be appreciated.  I am going through some huge swings from good to bad, and they are happening rapidly.  Thanks

Sharil,

I don't want to jinx myself and I am not getting too confident, but the last 2 weeks have been very good.  In fact, for the past few days I would say I feel 99% normal.  We'll see how things go, but this is definitely the best I have felt in almost three years.

Ryan