Hi everyone, need help withdrawing from zolpidem

[...]

So, you don't consider Valium a sleeping pill? ::):P

Anyway, although you will find that we tend to be very against detox centres for quitting benzos, we do understand how desperation can drive people to these centres to quit benzos, even when they know better. If you stayed only one night, then I guess nothing happened because of you time there!? You might do well to give yourself a little time before starting to taper you Valium. You have made large cuts over a short period of time - ollow your GABA system to recover.

*sigh*

I meant the sleeping pill that I was on for 7 YEARS, the zolpidem. It's been 5 nights now off it and I'm damn proud of myself no matter what anyone else says, I'm not letting anything like you posted bringing me down. I thought you of all people would understand you need to taper off valium regardless whether it's a sleeping pill or not.

I've found a forum with better support. I'm struggling day to day and your post both made me angry and feel like shit so I'm outta here, I don't need the negativity. Half the process of getting better is keeping a positive mind and posts like yours don't help.

And yes, the detox centre did help in giving me that kick up the butt I needed to take that step of going one night without the zolpidem. If it wasn't for that I'd still be on it. They wanted me to cut 5 mg each day! It was because of the other forum that told me that was insane and helped me get a good tapering plan. I'm on 60 mg for 2 weeks, then 55 2 weeks, 50 for 2 weeks etc.

I've got a good tapering plan figured out and will be going elsewhere where there is actual support and not negative posts. I can't believe what you just said without even knowing the full story, way to go. Bye.

Hi CMS,

I'm sorry you feel like this. I needed to say something because your post implied that Valium is not a sleeping pill, but I tried to make light of the correction too. You also mentioned going to a detox centre, but if you try the search function on this forum, you will find many members that have used detox centres to quit benzos, and nearly all (but not all) of them have suffered terribly as a result. Anyone coming here and reading only your post would need to read my post for balance. Note, I did write 'we tend to be very against detox centres for quitting benzos', because I did not wish to speak for all members.

I must take issue with your one night in detox centre helping - this just doesn't make sense to me. The point of a detox centre is that they withdraw you at a rate that would be a dangerously fast in a non-clinical environment. They usually administer anticonvulsants to protect against the dangers of withdrawal seizure. They would also withdraw you from all your benzo or benzo-like meds. In your case, you continued with Valium, so this, I guess, is the reason why you were not prescribed other anticonvulsants. You weren't prescribed other anticonvulsants, were you?

I am sorry that you feel that my response was negative - it was not meant to be. I was meant to be cautionary response for the casual visitor because of your report of the detox centre. The general feedback we receive is that we take a very positive approach to benzo withdrawal.

I wish you every luck and success with your withdrawal.

I've got a good tapering plan figured out and will be going elsewhere where there is actual support and not negative posts. I can't believe what you just said without even knowing the full story, way to go. Bye.

Hi CMS,

I"m sorry you were hurt, but I took Colin's post to be very warm and supportive.

Sometimes it is easy to misinterpret words, especially text with no body language. Particularly in wd, when one's mind is so very hypersensitized. It is very easy to take things wrong.

All I can say is Colin is one of the most supportive, open minded, and knowledgable people you will find in this genre, and this wonderful forum is a reflection of that.

Best of luck to you in your progress!  :)

I understand what you meant by sleeping pills. (That Colin!  :2funny: :2funny: He's really a good bloke once you get to know him.  :laugh: :laugh:)

I meant the sleeping pill that I was on for 7 YEARS, the zolpidem. It's been 5 nights now off it and I'm damn proud of myself no matter what anyone else says, I'm not letting anything like you posted bringing me down. I thought you of all people would understand you need to taper off valium regardless whether it's a sleeping pill or not.

So you cold turkeyed the Zolpidem? I think Colin might be suggesting that what we call "Z" drugs are in the same grouping as benzos and that they should be treated with the same caution. What you've done may work for you; it does for some people, and if so, you are very lucky ... but I understand why you'd be pleased at being off them. I just hope you don't live to regret it. It might have been better to cross over to all one benzo and taper from that. I know people who have cold turkeyed benzos without any problems though, so you may indeed be one of the lucky ones. If you can c/t the zolpidem, then getting off the benzo may prove for you to be a piece of cake.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. Colin really is a good guy and I know he meant well.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers for now.

Tony 

. It might have been better to cross over to all one benzo and taper from that.

Hi Tony,

Actually, CMS did not cold turkey zolpidem. She did cross over.

She is tapering from 60mg valium.  ;)

Linda