Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

2 Years Free Celebration After 23 Years on Xanax Every Single Day!

[Gi...]

[Gi...]

Hey Buddies,  I wanted to pop back in to say hi and let you know today marks 2 years since I took my last Xanax and I'm completely healed from it. (I am 72 now)

I took Xanax 4-5 times a day every single day for 23 years!   I weaned off methodically and super slowly (over a 2 year+ period).   It wasn't easy but it wasn't a  total nightmare either.   I planned it carefully  beforehand (with my doc's approval) and went slow, listening to my body along the way.  I took a couple of long breaks when I was under stress but never went backwards.  

It took a good year after my last dose before I felt like I was completely free from all the withdrawal affects.  

One of my big fears was that I would continue having panic attacks.   But here's the thing.  Long term Xanax use actually CAUSES anxiety because of being in a continual state of tolerance and interdose withdrawal.   I still deal with anxiety and an occasional panic attack,  but it's nothing like I dealt with all those years I was on Xanax.   The anxiety I have is due to  having ME/CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)  for almost 40 years, but I've learned coping mechanisms that are much more effective than popping a pill. 

Friends, please be encouraged in your journey.   Go as slow as you need to, but keep plugging away.  Learn how to deal with anxiety and panic attacks. You will feel so much better when it's over.  

Best Wishes,

Gitfiddle

Here's a link to my tapering schedule. 

Edited by [Gi...]
  • Like 3
  • Love 4

[Th...]

Wow, this is fabulous news, I am SO happy for you! This gives me hope as well, I too was a Xanax user for about 8 years. Im in my 4th month clean, still wondering how much longer until I really feel better. 

Thanks so much for the update, we appreciate it! Oh and enjoy your new found life!! 🌞

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Ha...]

Thank you so much for posting. I'm ready to jump off completely next week after a 2 year taper of 40 years Ativan dependence. Feeling like I'm healing but a long way to go. I appreciate that positive stories. Congratulations!

Edited by [Ha...]
  • Love 1

[Gi...]

@[Ha...],  Congratulations!   What an achievement!  You may have some continuing withdrawal symptoms for awhile but don’t worry,  it’ll go away and you will feel so much better!   So happy for you!  💜

• Love 1

[ap...]
On 28/04/2024 at 01:25, [[G...] said:

Hey Buddies,  I wanted to pop back in to say hi and let you know today marks 2 years since I took my last Xanax and I'm completely healed from it. (I am 72 now)

I took Xanax 4-5 times a day every single day for 23 years!   I weaned off methodically and super slowly (over a 2 year+ period).   It wasn't easy but it wasn't a  total nightmare either.   I planned it carefully  beforehand (with my doc's approval) and went slow, listening to my body along the way.  I took a couple of long breaks when I was under stress but never went backwards.  

It took a good year after my last dose before I felt like I was completely free from all the withdrawal affects.  

One of my big fears was that I would continue having panic attacks.   But here's the thing.  Long term Xanax use actually CAUSES anxiety because of being in a continual state of tolerance and interdose withdrawal.   I still deal with anxiety and an occasional panic attack,  but it's nothing like I dealt with all those years I was on Xanax.   The anxiety I have is due to  having ME/CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)  for almost 40 years, but I've learned coping mechanisms that are much more effective than popping a pill. 

Friends, please be encouraged in your journey.   Go as slow as you need to, but keep plugging away.  Learn how to deal with anxiety and panic attacks. You will feel so much better when it's over.  

Best Wishes,

Gitfiddle

Here's a link to my tapering schedule. 

Thank you for your wonderful post especially as a senior person

.Congratulations xxx

• Like 1
  • Love 1