Members-only Group  ·  430 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Positive post only- improvements ?

[La...]

[Be...]

I'm about 12 years off.  I still have a lot of symptoms, like, not being able to handle stress.

• Wow 1

[Gr...]

So grateful that I’m able to work out in the yard and cut grass and the sensitivity of smells has gone away. My chemical sensitivity. Was so bad that my poor wife had to cook out in the garage for one whole year because I could not tolerate any smells all that is things of the past good riddance.:clap:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Be...]

LadyDen, Why can't you even ride in a car?  No matter how bad I feel, I drive myself where I need to go.  I've been driving myself to the dentist every week for weeks now.  I'm determined to not let my teeth rot out of my mouth.

Edited by [Be...]

[La...]
Posted (edited)
On 05/04/2024 at 18:05, [[M...] said:

Hi ladyden,

I understand that feeling too involving vestibular issue. I went through all that. It was frustrating & scary. The moment the car starts moving. Those symptoms comes on strong instantly. I believe it's the brain trying to calibrate balance through our eye sight & ears. If you feel those symptoms DON'T push through, stop. It will only make it worst. Know your threshold. It will get better. It did for me. What your going through is only temporary. Everyone's timeline is different, you WILL heal. 👍 

Thanks for the reply and giving me a heads up. It’s very reassuring to know of someone else this has happened to as well as it gets better with more time and getting used to driving again. I always do stop and go back in the house. Basically I have no choice on the bad days. I have to move at the end of this month, about 10 minutes away. I’m praying that I have a good day so the ride will be smooth. If you have any advice or tips to make my ride there more comfortable, I’d appreciate it. What I’m not going to do, is feed the anxiety about it because plenty of people going through this process with vestibular issues have to ride in a car for a short time like I need to. They all turn out well although it may be a little uncomfortable. Then again, they do it and turns out it wasn’t uncomfortable or made them worse at all. They were concerned for nothing.  They go to the doctor or have to move or an event, etc. I haven’t read of anyone not making it! So, I’m going to hang on to that.

Edited by [La...]

[La...]
On 05/04/2024 at 21:11, [[l...] said:

Thank you so much for your lovely response.  I am glad you are able to walk more now and hopefully that will get even better.  You will get to go to a park and other nice places in time, that is a certainty.   :hug:

So very kind! Thank you! 

[La...]
16 hours ago, [[B...] said:

LadyDen, Why can't you even ride in a car?  No matter how bad I feel, I drive myself where I need to go.  I've been driving myself to the dentist every week for weeks now.  I'm determined to not let my teeth rot out of my mouth.

My vestibular symptoms rev up when I try. They pick and choose when they allow me to do it. I’m glad you can drive. I’m doing all I can to drive again too. 

[Be...]

Does someone come and cut your hair?  You'll be driving again.  I couldn't drive anywhere when I was 3 years off.  I'm proud of myself for being able to drive places now.  Last night I drove to Walmart up the highway.  Last month I drove and got my hair cut.  When I need something, I just go drive and forget how I feel.  My teeth are a mess from all those years of not being able to get to the dentist and now I'm getting them fixed.  I've had tons of cavities that are filled now, and now need two new crowns.  

Edited by [Be...]
  • Like 2

[Na...]
On 08/04/2024 at 22:55, [[B...] said:

Does someone come and cut your hair?  You'll be driving again.  I couldn't drive anywhere when I was 3 years off.  I'm proud of myself for being able to drive places now.  Last night I drove to Walmart up the highway.  Last month I drove and got my hair cut.  When I need something, I just go drive and forget how I feel.  My teeth are a mess from all those years of not being able to get to the dentist and now I'm getting them fixed.  I've had tons of cavities that are filled now, and now need two new crowns.  

That's real progress Becks. Glad to hear you're able to get out now.

• Love 1

[fl...]
On 28/03/2024 at 13:35, [[L...] said:

Hello lovely buddies! I wanted too start this thread to have a place where we can share any improvements with each other as well as celebrate together! I’d really appreciate it if everyone would keep their posts positive. We, long haulers, have been on this recovery journey for awhile. Personally, I have had improvements with my driving. Although it’s not much, it’s a big deal for me seeing that I haven’t drove in over 3 years! That includes being able to tolerate riding in a car. I’m happy to report that on my good days I’m able to drive about 5 minutes straight without taking a break. YAY! At 45 months off, I’m so grateful to do this. Just a couple of months ago I didn’t think it would be possible to finally go somewhere. Now, I know that it will happen…hopefully soon! 
If you’re not doing something YET, please keep trying because any day could be the day! Small or not….celebrate it! 
Happy healing to everyone and I send you big hugs! 

Hi everyone

I have been off of Klonopin for 24 months at the end of April.  It has been a long road of struggles, not wanting to do anything, becoming a hermit, introverted.  I have noticed that when I do get a wave it isn't as bad or debilitating as was in the beginning.  I do have to talk to myself constantly when I am in a wave to remind myself that this too,  will end.  But I admit its hard to get thru.  When I feel great, its easy to tell myself, the wave wasn't so bad.  I am getting out of the house more and not hiding away.  Hope we all can get total relief someday 8) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[La...]
On 08/04/2024 at 23:55, [[B...] said:

No I don’t get hair cuts. If it needs a trim I do it myself. I’m glad you’re able to drive now. I hope your teeth get fixed. Thanks! 

[La...]
16 hours ago, [[f...] said:

Hi everyone

I have been off of Klonopin for 24 months at the end of April.  It has been a long road of struggles, not wanting to do anything, becoming a hermit, introverted.  I have noticed that when I do get a wave it isn't as bad or debilitating as was in the beginning.  I do have to talk to myself constantly when I am in a wave to remind myself that this too,  will end.  But I admit its hard to get thru.  When I feel great, its easy to tell myself, the wave wasn't so bad.  I am getting out of the house more and not hiding away.  Hope we all can get total relief someday 8) 

Hi Flanc. It’s great to hear of your improvements. Getting out of the house is a big step and I’m proud of you! Keep it up! I feel the same as you about my waves….they’re much milder except for a day or two each week. On those tougher days, I remind myself that it’s my brain doing some much needed fine tuning so I can go on to do more normal things OR do the things that’s been restored a little better. Any improvements are a good boost in our confidence in this process of healing. We wait…we heal..we go on to live a normal healthier life as we put this chapter behind us. I love that analogy because if we see each phase of our healing like chapters in a book, some chapters are a little longer and more intense than others. Right? But doesn’t every chapter add up to the conclusion? A beautiful ending! That’s what I’m so looking forward to! Happy healing! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Wa...]
On 08/04/2024 at 21:55, [[B...] said:

Oh my goodness and you are able to tolerate all the dental meds just fine? That is wonderful. I haven't been to the dentist in over a year because I am afraid I'll need work done and there is no way I can handle that along with all the other health issues right now. Very happy for you.

[Be...]

They don't give me dental meds.  Just a lidocaine shot or whatever they use to numb my gum before they drill.   I've been to the dentist about five times in the last few months and spent a few thousand bucks to get dental work done.  I'll probably be going for the next few years too.  I have a lot of problems with my teeth.  I refuse to let my teeth rot out of my mouth.  How can a person eat without good teeth?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 4 years off and my improvements are mostly mental, not physical. All the anxiety, fear, panic, monophobia, lack of confidence, low self-esteem, etc. is gone and every few months I notice I feel more and more like my old self and find it hard to remember all those mental symptoms that plagued me in the first 2 years off. It's amazing how all that stuff has just melted away. The only physical symptom which has improved is myoclonic jerks, touchwood! 

• Like 2

@[Ka...] Glad to hear that you've improved in so many ways. Sounds like you are on the right track.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you take and for how long?

13 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I'm 4 years off and my improvements are mostly mental, not physical. All the anxiety, fear, panic, monophobia, lack of confidence, low self-esteem, etc. is gone and every few months I notice I feel more and more like my old self and find it hard to remember all those mental symptoms that plagued me in the first 2 years off. It's amazing how all that stuff has just melted away. The only physical symptom which has improved is myoclonic jerks, touchwood! 

This is So awesome! The anxiety stuff is fairly new symptom for me. I hate it! I’ll be glad when it’s gone! Mine is mostly anticipation anxiety…things I know are coming or things that are stressful that I have to do and even certain people visiting me. This is awesome to hear it goes away. I’m happy for you! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, [[N...] said:

@[Ka...] Glad to hear that you've improved in so many ways. Sounds like you are on the right track.

How are you doing Nathan? Any improvements? 

16 hours ago, [[N...] said:

Hi Nathan - Thank you. Your question prompted me to fill out a timeline in my history. I took .5mg - 2mg Ativan for approx. 3 years before my successful year-long taper.

23 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Hi Nathan - Thank you. Your question prompted me to fill out a timeline in my history. I took .5mg - 2mg Ativan for approx. 3 years before my successful year-long taper.

I know this was to Nathan but well done!!

My recent victory was my very first 'normal' dental cleaning! :LOL: For years I couldn't go at all. Then when I started to go, I needed 4 appointments to get my teeth cleaned with a lot of numbing gel and a ton of bleeding, pain and inflammation afterwards. Then I got down to 2 appointments. Then last year I got it done in 1 appointment with the numbing gel. But last week I had them cleaned in 1 appointment, no numbing gel, very little pain. :clap:It was just like my old 'normal' appointments that I used to have!

It's almost ridiculous how happy I was over dental work. But you gotta celebrate every win!

• Like 1

PIckl,, I'm proud of myself that I've been able to drive myself to the dentist.  I've been there about about seven times in the last few months.   I went for a cleaning and X-rays first and then got a bunch of cavities filled.  I had a lot of dental problems.  I've had tons of cavities that needed to be filled and now I have none.  I got two temp. dental crowns on the back and I'll have to go back and get the permanent ones on soon.  The dentist drilled on my teeth so much last Monday that my right eye was black and blue.   I'm determined to not let my teeth rot out of my mouth.  I plan to get two implants too then. 

On 08/04/2024 at 23:55, [[B...] said:

Hey Becks, I have an emergency dental appointment for a broken tooth this afternoon, and I see that you have had lots of dental work done recently.  Can you share with me what meds you are given for numbing or pain, as I don’t want to fall back into a bad benzo wave!!!

Thanks, 

GG