Members-only Group  ·  430 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Positive post only- improvements ?

[La...]

[La...]

Hello lovely buddies! I wanted too start this thread to have a place where we can share any improvements with each other as well as celebrate together! I’d really appreciate it if everyone would keep their posts positive. We, long haulers, have been on this recovery journey for awhile. Personally, I have had improvements with my driving. Although it’s not much, it’s a big deal for me seeing that I haven’t drove in over 3 years! That includes being able to tolerate riding in a car. I’m happy to report that on my good days I’m able to drive about 5 minutes straight without taking a break. YAY! At 45 months off, I’m so grateful to do this. Just a couple of months ago I didn’t think it would be possible to finally go somewhere. Now, I know that it will happen…hopefully soon! 
If you’re not doing something YET, please keep trying because any day could be the day! Small or not….celebrate it! 
Happy healing to everyone and I send you big hugs! 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

[Gr...]

I will be 19 months Benzo free on April 1. Very glad that the surging electricity through my fingers and feet are gone as well as the feeling that something was crawling through my brain. Good riddance, I will try to post on here often. Hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Ti...]

My food sensitivity is calming down. While I still have to be really careful, I can partake in indulgence occasionally. Yesterday I had a chili cheese dog and onion rings and didn’t turn into an electrified hot mess or get insomnia. Yay me! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I no longer have akathisia and the ice pick that used to sit in the middle of my brain is gone.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

[Gr...]

Very happy that my sleep has improved over the almost 19 months.Im averaging around 4 to 5 hours a night now that is wonderful compared to one to two hours and at the beginning none.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

[La...]
On 28/03/2024 at 16:34, [[m...] said:

Happy Driving LadyDen - that is my hope also.

Thank you Mow! How. Long has it been since you drove?  I’m praying you’ll be back behind the wheel driving comfortably soon! Big hugs! 

• Like 1

[La...]
On 29/03/2024 at 03:01, [[G...] said:

I will be 19 months Benzo free on April 1. Very glad that the surging electricity through my fingers and feet are gone as well as the feeling that something was crawling through my brain. Good riddance, I will try to post on here often. Hope everyone has a great day.

Awesome! Again I say awesome! And halleluyah to good riddance!  Have a great day too! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[La...]
On 29/03/2024 at 13:43, [[T...] said:

My food sensitivity is calming down. While I still have to be really careful, I can partake in indulgence occasionally. Yesterday I had a chili cheese dog and onion rings and didn’t turn into an electrified hot mess or get insomnia. Yay me! 

Wow that is a great sign that things are normalizing! I bet that was the best chili cheese dog & onion rings you ever had! Now you have me ready to try my honey nut Chex this morning. I bought them a couple of weeks ago but every time I look at the words “ fortified” ( added vitamins) I get nervous and get my oatmeal instead. Well done! And I pray you can eat more foods soon!  Big hugs ! 

• Like 1

[La...]
3 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Very happy that my sleep has improved over the almost 19 months.Im averaging around 4 to 5 hours a night now that is wonderful compared to one to two hours and at the beginning none.

Yes indeed that is very excellent!  I average about 5-6. Now that you’re sleeping better, other things will improve as well. Much restoration goes on during sleeping. Woohhooooo! Big hugs! 

• Love 1

[Ma...]
On 28/03/2024 at 07:35, [[L...] said:

Hello lovely buddies! I wanted too start this thread to have a place where we can share any improvements with each other as well as celebrate together! I’d really appreciate it if everyone would keep their posts positive. We, long haulers, have been on this recovery journey for awhile. Personally, I have had improvements with my driving. Although it’s not much, it’s a big deal for me seeing that I haven’t drove in over 3 years! That includes being able to tolerate riding in a car. I’m happy to report that on my good days I’m able to drive about 5 minutes straight without taking a break. YAY! At 45 months off, I’m so grateful to do this. Just a couple of months ago I didn’t think it would be possible to finally go somewhere. Now, I know that it will happen…hopefully soon! 
If you’re not doing something YET, please keep trying because any day could be the day! Small or not….celebrate it! 

Hu Ladyden,

Everything little things is a great improvement👍 Same here my driving is getting better with less physical symptoms more often which can give confidence. I'm 48 months better. Just keep moving forward. 😀

• Love 1

[jo...]
On 29/03/2024 at 04:35, [[L...] said:

This is such a great idea for a post. Thank you LD❤️ I’ve been sad coming here lately as it’s stirring up my nervous system all the coach bashing, fear mongering and general negativity. I don’t find it helpful in the slightest. I feel like I don’t see a lot of improvements but looking back over the four years I’ve been injured, I am better at coping, better with boundaries, better at taking care of myself and putting my needs first. I also have less DRDP - that was really intense for a couple of years and it’s much less these days 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Be...]

LadyDen, If you can't ride in a car very long or drive, what do you do if you need to go to the doc or dentist?   

[lo...]

I am 11 years off benzos and the start of this year has been my best so far.  It has been a long haul but nevertheless.  I am now trying to re-engage with outside life more and more and am swimming, meeting with friends for coffee, attending lunchtime concerts, have been to the theatre a few times and just trying to increase my strength and stamina which took a real hit over the past decade.  Stomach issues improved this year which has made a significant difference. .I am feeling more emotions, memory continues to improve so overall I am feeling very positive. 

Edited by [lo...]
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

[La...]
On 01/04/2024 at 21:22, [[M...] said:

Hu Ladyden,

Everything little things is a great improvement👍 Same here my driving is getting better with less physical symptoms more often which can give confidence. I'm 48 months better. Just keep moving forward. 😀

Wow! I’m happy for you and we are about the same months off. What are your symptoms that give you trouble when driving? How long can you stay in a car? Can you ride in a car or is your issues just when you drive? Have you been housebound because of it? What helps? Do you press forward in the car or do your symptoms make you have to get out of the car like mine does? 
sorry for all the questions but I feel like I’ve finally found someone else who is going through this at the same time as me? 
keep up the great work Mark! We are going to be driving and riding comfortably and normal soon! Big hugs 

[La...]
On 03/04/2024 at 02:59, [[j...] said:

This is such a great idea for a post. Thank you LD❤️ I’ve been sad coming here lately as it’s stirring up my nervous system all the coach bashing, fear mongering and general negativity. I don’t find it helpful in the slightest. I feel like I don’t see a lot of improvements but looking back over the four years I’ve been injured, I am better at coping, better with boundaries, better at taking care of myself and putting my needs first. I also have less DRDP - that was really intense for a couple of years and it’s much less these days 

This is awesome to share! No matter how small, it will benefit others. 4 years is a long time and that is a good testament of your strength…all of our strengths are to be cheered! Yes, I understand about the negativity that can rear it’s ugly head on sites like this…meaning any social site are that way because you can’t keep negative people off but you can keep them at bay by setting yourself boundaries as you said. So, my dear, if you need to come here for support, please don’t let negativity keep you from that. Stick with the positive threads and buddies. Thank you for sharing! It made me smile! 
big hugs! 

• Like 1

[La...]
15 hours ago, [[B...] said:

LadyDen, If you can't ride in a car very long or drive, what do you do if you need to go to the doc or dentist?   

Good question! The answer is I don’t! I haven’t been anywhere since I moved in these apartments two years ago because my physical symptoms hasn’t let me….yet! I see my doctor by video when needed. This is why my driving and riding in the car is a big deal to me. I’m longggggggg overdue for a general checkup, bloodwork, eye doctor, mammogram and dentist. Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do about it but wait. I’m looking forward to my driving to improve more. Then I’ll start making appointments with doctors that are very close to my home. 
hugs to you 

[La...]
3 hours ago, [[l...] said:

I am 11 years off benzos and the start of this year has been my best so far.  It has been a long haul but nevertheless.  I am now trying to re-engage with outside life more and more and am swimming, meeting with friends for coffee, attending lunchtime concerts, have been to the theatre a few times and just trying to increase my strength and stamina which took a real hit over the past decade.  Stomach issues improved this year which has made a significant difference. .I am feeling more emotions, memory continues to improve so overall I am feeling very positive. 

11 years is such a long time to still be recovering BUT you have to just thank god ( not trying to be religious) that you are and did heal nicely to have quality of life back! You are an outstanding human being to have endured this journey! I’m celebrating with you in your outings and enjoying your new healed life. Excuse my next statement….

I’m so jealous! I want to do that tooo! LOL All kidding aside, if you got there, I will too! This is awesome! Thank you for sharing such a great story of endurance. I know I’m not the only one that needed this! This is exactly why I started this thread! You will continue to heal the rest of your little symptoms that are left over. One of my doctors who is one of the best doctors in the USA told me this….

” It’s not permanent so be encouraged! If it came up on you when you got off the medicine then it will leave! It might take a little while because this type of thing can be that way for some people. You walk as on a regular basis, rest, eat healthy and let time take care of it. It’s not permanent or it wouldn’t get better at all! “ 

on my rougher days, I’m reminded of his words! You know what, he’s absolutely right! When he said that, I could barely walk and now I’m walking 30 minutes or more nearly everyday. Not long ago, I couldn’t even sit in a car let alone crank it up and try to drive. Now I can…even on my bad days I can crank the car and sit in it for awhile. All the while, I’m wishing I was going to a park or somewhere nice! But I know I will soon!
big hugs  

[Ma...]
3 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Wow! I’m happy for you and we are about the same months off. What are your symptoms that give you trouble when driving? How long can you stay in a car? Can you ride in a car or is your issues just when you drive? Have you been housebound because of it? What helps? Do you press forward in the car or do your symptoms make you have to get out of the car like mine does? 
sorry for all the questions but I feel like I’ve finally found someone else who is going through this at the same time as me? 
keep up the great work Mark! We are going to be driving and riding comfortably and normal soon! Big hugs 

Hi Ladyden,

Going out & about, I definitely limited myself out of fear (anxiety, alittle agoraphobia) because of the physical symptoms comes on strongly before, sometimes during in the car. I'm not totally housebound but I pick & choose when, where to go. Where I live everything like gas, groceries, mall, fast foods is in a 3mi radius. I will avoid heavy traffic traffic light intersections. What gives me the most trouble of symptoms is the anticipation of getting ready to go to my destination if it's a party, gathering outside 3 mi. & farther. Shortness of breath, tightness in gut & throat, panicky, dizziness, hard to focus, doom & gloom feeling. I'm better when I'm alone driving, rather than when my wife is with me. Usually most times my wife is driving me, I can ride in a car. My crutch is having my yeti flask of ice water, a mini cooler with ice & water with a wet rag. I use it to cool & calm me down when my physical symptoms gets out of hand. If a start feeling the symptoms coming I try switch my thoughts away from what I'm feeling too something eles to put focus on other things to calm down, slow breath work. If it does not work, I'll pull over in an parking area, park stall near by & take my time to calm down until my symptoms subsides. For me right now it's getting much better, about 4 to 3 years ago it was really bad hardly went anywhere around that time mostly housebound excluding work, during acute phase of benzo withdrawal, accept for driving to & from work. Lucky work is only 3mi. away. I had major panic attacks while driving to & from work if there were traffic. It does getting better, it's all about how your focusing with your mind. Acceptance, positive, flow is key. Resistance, fear will not help us get better. 👍

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Love 1

[Be...]

When I was only 3 years off or so, I couldn't drive anywhere either.  I couldn't even drive to get a hair cut or even go the dentist or doctor.  Now I'm able to go drive and get a hair cut.  I'm able to drive when I need to.  I drive to the dentist every week now to get my teeth fixed.  I'm still afraid to drive, but I go anyway.  The key chain on car key chain says, "Jesus is my driver." 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

[jo...]

@[Be...] thank you for sharing this. I’m 3 years off and can’t do any of those things! I’m so glad to hear of your improvements! How far out are you now? 

[La...]
11 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Hi Ladyden,

Going out & about, I definitely limited myself out of fear (anxiety, alittle agoraphobia) because of the physical symptoms comes on strongly before, sometimes during in the car. I'm not totally housebound but I pick & choose when, where to go. Where I live everything like gas, groceries, mall, fast foods is in a 3mi radius. I will avoid heavy traffic traffic light intersections. What gives me the most trouble of symptoms is the anticipation of getting ready to go to my destination if it's a party, gathering outside 3 mi. & farther. Shortness of breath, tightness in gut & throat, panicky, dizziness, hard to focus, doom & gloom feeling. I'm better when I'm alone driving, rather than when my wife is with me. Usually most times my wife is driving me, I can ride in a car. My crutch is having my yeti flask of ice water, a mini cooler with ice & water with a wet rag. I use it to cool & calm me down when my physical symptoms gets out of hand. If a start feeling the symptoms coming I try switch my thoughts away from what I'm feeling too something eles to put focus on other things to calm down, slow breath work. If it does not work, I'll pull over in an parking area, park stall near by & take my time to calm down until my symptoms subsides. For me right now it's getting much better, about 4 to 3 years ago it was really bad hardly went anywhere around that time mostly housebound excluding work, during acute phase of benzo withdrawal, accept for driving to & from work. Lucky work is only 3mi. away. I had major panic attacks while driving to & from work if there were traffic. It does getting better, it's all about how your focusing with your mind. Acceptance, positive, flow is key. Resistance, fear will not help us get better. 👍

Thanks for the detailed reply. My issues when trying to drive are vestibular issues…like my brain gets too overwhelmed and it feels like it “tries to shut down” or like I’m going to faint. The head pressure and boatiness revs up as well. The lights ( from the sun) doesn’t bother me much. I guess it’s the movement of the the car that is stimulating. I’m not anxious or scared to drive and not scared of the traffic. I WANT to do it but it’s my strong symptoms that either doesn’t allow it or only allow it for a very short time. On a good day, I can do about 5 minutes straight in the parking lot( from one end to the other end 2-3  times). On a bad day, I can only go 2 parking spots in front of me….basically nowhere. Lately, the past week it hasn’t let me go past the 2 spots in front of me. Last month is when I progressed to the 5 minutes. I thought it would remain like that and just get better every week or two. I’m looking forward to things shifting back to driving better and more often. 
I glad it has improved for you. Keep up the good work! 

• Love 1

[Ma...]

Hi ladyden,

I understand that feeling too involving vestibular issue. I went through all that. It was frustrating & scary. The moment the car starts moving. Those symptoms comes on strong instantly. I believe it's the brain trying to calibrate balance through our eye sight & ears. If you feel those symptoms DON'T push through, stop. It will only make it worst. Know your threshold. It will get better. It did for me. What your going through is only temporary. Everyone's timeline is different, you WILL heal. 👍 

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Love 1

[lo...]
On 04/04/2024 at 23:03, [[L...] said:

11 years is such a long time to still be recovering BUT you have to just thank god ( not trying to be religious) that you are and did heal nicely to have quality of life back! You are an outstanding human being to have endured this journey! I’m celebrating with you in your outings and enjoying your new healed life. Excuse my next statement….

I’m so jealous! I want to do that tooo! LOL All kidding aside, if you got there, I will too! This is awesome! Thank you for sharing such a great story of endurance. I know I’m not the only one that needed this! This is exactly why I started this thread! You will continue to heal the rest of your little symptoms that are left over. One of my doctors who is one of the best doctors in the USA told me this….

” It’s not permanent so be encouraged! If it came up on you when you got off the medicine then it will leave! It might take a little while because this type of thing can be that way for some people. You walk as on a regular basis, rest, eat healthy and let time take care of it. It’s not permanent or it wouldn’t get better at all! “ 

on my rougher days, I’m reminded of his words! You know what, he’s absolutely right! When he said that, I could barely walk and now I’m walking 30 minutes or more nearly everyday. Not long ago, I couldn’t even sit in a car let alone crank it up and try to drive. Now I can…even on my bad days I can crank the car and sit in it for awhile. All the while, I’m wishing I was going to a park or somewhere nice! But I know I will soon!
big hugs  

Thank you so much for your lovely response.  I am glad you are able to walk more now and hopefully that will get even better.  You will get to go to a park and other nice places in time, that is a certainty.   :hug:

• Love 1