Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Mark Horowitz 'academic coaching'

I've completed my call with Dr.Horowitz

He explained the process of a slow taper. Gave me a couple of pointers.

The most important part of the call for me was where he read through my current symptom list. I seem to be in a tight spot. I will start a different post regarding this.

• Like 1

[Ca...]

Thanks, Libertas. I reviewed the thread. I have a NP who prescribes via telehealth but is clueless about withdrawal and have worked with Dr. Halligan and a benzo coach from the Netherlands. The reason I have sought a consultation from Dr. Josef is because I have been in tolerance withdrawal from the get go over two years ago and have tapered from 40 mgs of valium and 1.5 clonapin to 12.2 mgs of valium but then I became completely bed bound at 1.38 microtaper a month with a cut and weigh method and then 1 mg a month microtaper cut and weigh and Dr. Halligan persuaded me to updose to 14 mgsand to hold. She also wanted me to change my taper rate to 2.5 or 5 percent microtaper. My benzo coach from the Netherlands said to stay at one mg because 2.5 or 5 percent would go on forever and I am 69.

So now I am completely confused as to which way to go and meanwhile not tapering and not stabilizing. I thought another opinion might shed some light. Halligan does not make up taper shedules for me; the Netherlands coach does that. And the NP prescribes for me. None of that is inexpensive.

Thank you for sending the link. The ship may have already sailed on my taper. The one thing that Dr. Josef did say on the phone to me was that it sounded like I already had neural damage.

:unsure:

[Ma...]

I’m going to be blunt and say that for most people, benzo coaches are probably not going to add a lot if you are doing a reasonably paced taper (5-10% every 10-14 days or something comparable) and/or listening to your body and adjusting it accordingly.

I’m really perplexed that Dr Horowitz, a research psychologist who himself has been tapering 5 medicines for 6 years, charges 375 dollars! for each 50 minute session.  I personally wouldnt want advice from someone who’s been tapering 5 drugs for 6 years (and counting).  It’s kinda like seeing a cardiologist who eats McDonalds every day. Getting advice from people who have actually gotten off of these drugs, on this site and others, is a much better use of your time and money IMO.

I’m sure I’ll get hate responses for this post, but I hate seeing people getting taken advantage of in their most vulnerable states which is exactly what’s going on with some of these people.  Save your money and find a good therapist that will listen to you and some wise people on here that can help you.  There are great resources here. 

• Like 2

[Li...]
19 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Dr Horowitz, a research psychologist

A point of clarification about Dr. Horowitz’s background if I may …

“Dr. Mark Horwitz is a Clinical Research Fellow in Psychiatry in the UK National Health Service, a Visiting Lecturer at King’s College London and a training psychiatrist. He has a PhD from the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience at King’s College London in the neurobiology of depression and antidepressant action. He is the lead author of the Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelinesand an associate editor of the journal Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology. Dr. Horowitz co-authored the recent Royal College of Psychiatry guidance on ‘Stopping Antidepressants’ in the UK, and his work informed the recent NICE guidelines on safe tapering of psychiatric medications, including antidepressants, benzodiazepines and z-drugs. He has been commissioned by Health Education England to prepare a teaching module on how to safely stop antidepressants. He is a collaborating investigator on the RELEASE clinical trial in Queensland examining hyperbolic tapering of antidepressants. Dr. Horowitz has written several papers about safe approaches to tapering psychiatric medications including publications in The Lancet Psychiatry, JAMA Psychiatry and Schizophrenia Bulletin. He has an interest in rational psychopharmacology and deprescribing psychiatric medication, having experienced the difficulty of coming off psychiatric medications first hand, which has informed much of his work.”

[Li...]
1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Thank you for sending the link.

You’re welcome @[Ca...].  You’re in a difficult situation.  I hope you find a way to resolve it.

[Ma...]
16 hours ago, [[L...] said:

A point of clarification about Dr. Horowitz’s background if I may …

“Dr. Mark Horwitz is a Clinical Research Fellow in Psychiatry in the UK National Health Service, a Visiting Lecturer at King’s College London and a training psychiatrist. He has a PhD from the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience at King’s College London in the neurobiology of depression and antidepressant action. He is the lead author of the Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelinesand an associate editor of the journal Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology. Dr. Horowitz co-authored the recent Royal College of Psychiatry guidance on ‘Stopping Antidepressants’ in the UK, and his work informed the recent NICE guidelines on safe tapering of psychiatric medications, including antidepressants, benzodiazepines and z-drugs. He has been commissioned by Health Education England to prepare a teaching module on how to safely stop antidepressants. He is a collaborating investigator on the RELEASE clinical trial in Queensland examining hyperbolic tapering of antidepressants. Dr. Horowitz has written several papers about safe approaches to tapering psychiatric medications including publications in The Lancet Psychiatry, JAMA Psychiatry and Schizophrenia Bulletin. He has an interest in rational psychopharmacology and deprescribing psychiatric medication, having experienced the difficulty of coming off psychiatric medications first hand, which has informed much of his work.”

I’m aware of this.  It doesn’t, however, make him a good clinician or therapist.  It makes him a good researcher.  He’s an academic psychologist, not a clinician.  There’s a big difference. 

Edited by [Ma...]
Typo
  • Like 1

[Li...]
3 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

clinician

My understanding is that he also runs a psychiatric drug deprescribing clinic at North East London NHS Trust.  

My goal here is not to engage in a debate about Dr. Horowitz.  I simply wish to ensure that readers of this thread have accurate information about his background and qualifications.

• Like 2

[Ma...]
15 hours ago, [[L...] said:

My understanding is that he also runs a psychiatric drug deprescribing clinic at North East London NHS Trust.  

My goal here is not to engage in a debate about Dr. Horowitz.  I simply wish to ensure that readers of this thread have accurate information about his background and qualifications.

Agree, not looking to debate.  His qualifications and background are as an academic researcher, not a clinician.  Im a physician so I’m very wary of money making schemes in the medical field.  

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 2