Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Who has had improved tinnitus? We need a positive master thread

[PE...]
8 hours ago, [[S...] said:

@[PE...] congratulations on getting off the benzos. I am glad that you’ve seen improvements and bet you’re just going to keep seeing more!

Thank you :)

• Like 2

[Th...]

I'm at week 15 post jump, the ear pressure is improving however very slowly. The Hyperacusis in getting better but loud noise still bothers me. I get a 24 hour window, sometimes 2, 24 hour windows once a week where my T is more quiet. However on the days its ringing, its still loud and oscillating. Over all in these past 3+months since my last dose, the ear situation is slowly improving, at this rate, I predict it will HOPEFULLY be completely gone in 6 more months. 

Edited by [Th...]
  • Like 3

[Al...]
On 27/03/2024 at 11:42, [[S...] said:

Should note the left ear has taken on the hissing I usually hear in my right ear at this moment.

Sometimes jumping over the the left but then ending back up in right. Weird!

I noticed mine has been moving too.  Sometimes fully between the ears, sometimes in right ear.

• Like 2

[Al...]
5 hours ago, [[T...] said:

I'm at week 15 post jump, the ear pressure is improving however very slowly. The Hyperacusis in getting better but loud noise still bothers me. I get a 24 hour window, sometimes 2, 24 hour windows once a week where my T is more quiet. However on the days its ringing, its still loud and oscillating. Over all in these past 3+months since my last dose, the ear situation is slowly improving, at this rate, I predict it will HOPEFULLY be completely gone in 6 more months. 

ringing buzzing or hissing?  Mine is hissing.  go figure.

• Like 2

[Th...]
16 hours ago, [[A...] said:

ringing buzzing or hissing?  Mine is hissing.  go figure.

Mine hiss and ring. During any windows its more like a hum/buzz. Brutal what we have to endure! 

• Like 2

[Sw...]

Yeah I’m right there with the hiss and the ring sound. Never any roaring sound. 
it’s like a ring and then an electric static sound. Really weird lol. But it’s been another good few days of managing it. I see the day as having lots of ups and downs and averaging out to an overall medium kind of day. I’ll take it! 

woke up today with wicked bad anxiety, didn’t feel good, had a lot of past emotions in my body come up and remembered sad feelings from childhood. It’s such an experience. I think my brain is calibrating. I evened out by 1 pm and went on to have a nice day so far. 

• Like 3

[Sw...]

Hey just wanted to keep this thread in view for others so I’m posting again. 

how are you doing @[Al...] @[Kh...] @[Th...] @[PE...] and I know I’m forgetting others…

I was just reading on Reddit about covid long haulers having nearly identical symptoms to us benzo buddies… it’s so odd. If you get a chance google Reddit long haulers and they have a whole sub Reddit. 

a lot of them post about things that help them. I’m thinking of eliminating sugar, vegetable oil/canola oil, processed foods from my diet as best I can. I have been feeling so inflamed and crappy for a long time. I deal with it well and accept what is but I’d like to start feeling better!

also was able to watch Migration with my daughter tonight and the tinnitus wasn’t audible during the movie so that’s awesome as it’s usually in and out or persistent. Last night sucked and was bad t and anxiety but today better. 

next Friday I’m 20 weeks off klonopin! 

• Like 3

[Kh...]

I continue to deal with the T.  It’s like a constant ring…like I’ve been hit with a baseball bat.  Wonder every day if it’s gonna be permanent. Hard to fathom feeling like this all the time.  It’s not just ringing, but something more related to CNS I feel.   Going on 8 weeks off benzos.  More time needed perhaps.   Oh, if I take a small dose of ambien for sleep, the next day the t is definitely down.   Seems like the drug has a positive effect.  I realize it’s probably not a long term solution.  

Edited by [Kh...]
  • Like 3

[PE...]

Hi.

For me it's no change either. I don't know if it's lower in volume or if I got use to it. I only think of it when reading about it like now.

• Like 3

[Th...]

@[Sw...] thanks for the Reddit discussion, I enjoy reading everything I can to possibly help my condition. 

Not a lot of change for me either. I am in my 4th month post jump from my last dose. However as @[PE...] mentioned, I am not sure if my T is more quiet or I am just getting used to it. If I sit here and think about it, its off the hook at times, but if I am really involved in something, I can go hours without knowing its even there. I am still keeping the faith, one day, even if its a year from now, it will disappear all together. 

Be well my friends! ♥️

• Like 3

[Al...]

I think mine is somewhat worse and Im struggling to believe I'll get better.  Im almost 6 months off and it's up and down, mostly up these days.  I'll check out that discussion.  I need a new path.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Re...]

I have been experiencing tinnitus (despise that word) every day for the past 18 months. Around six months off it seemed to start going away and then came roaring back when I had to take Benadryl for a dystonic (another word I despise) episode. Since then it has been a constant static hissing noise. Sometimes I get other weird increases and noises that scare me like little noise attacks that last a few seconds and then go back to baseline.

I have heard of a case where it took up to six years for tinnitus to go away in @[Me...]'s case, which is the longest I have heard of. Her story is very hopeful overall.

For those of you who are only months into this, you are still very early in this process. If you experience windows where the ringing lessens, this is a good sign.

In my case, tinnitus has been one of my worst symptoms along with hyperacusis which I just noticed what seems like a slight decrease in this morning. I really hope that is starting to go away as it has been SO painful. I also have ear-popping when I yawn which I cannot stand.

Lately tinnitus seems to be lowest in the morning when I first wake up. It can get worse after eating, regardless of what I eat, and started to cluster in intensity somewhat recently along with skin burning, vibrating, sound sensitivity. They all can surge at once now. Very odd.

Tinnitus is an ototoxic injury. Over 200 drugs can cause or exacerbate it so it is best not to take anything to let it heal.

I do not use any earbuds or headphones and won't moving forward to protect my ears. I wish we were taught more about ear health as kids. Almost everyone I know who has other nervous sytem symptoms like mine has tinnitus. Crazy how common it is with psych drugs.

Edited by [Re...]
  • Like 3

[Pi...]

I’m struggling so much with deafening tinnitus at 15 months off. On days like today when it is unbearable, all my other sxs are intense, like burning, vibrating, air hunger and neck and head pain. It makes me feel so overwhelmed and afraid. 

• Love 1

[Th...]
14 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I’m struggling so much with deafening tinnitus at 15 months off. On days like today when it is unbearable, all my other sxs are intense, like burning, vibrating, air hunger and neck and head pain. It makes me feel so overwhelmed and afraid. 

I am so sorry you've been struggling so long. :hug:

[Sw...]

@[Pi...] @[Re...]

can you share some of your story? Any other drugs you’re on, time you were taking benzos, any relevant information would be helpful. 

I will tell you when I first got tinnitus in 2018 it took me three years to completely overcome and not give a crap about. I then had  2.5 really good years and then landed back at the beginning by starting benzos again and then tapering off. 

it might seem like you will never overcome it but even if it didn’t go away at some point habituation is real and is in my opinion as good as not having it. I know it seems like a curse but as someone who struggled for years I truly did get through it all. 

@[Kh...] don’t think about having it forever. When we think about forever it is overwhelming. Just focus on this day. This day can be a good day. Find things to do that make you feel good. What do you do lately to stay busy or feel productive?

@[Th...] I’m the same way. Most of the time I can block it out. The only sound hard to block out is this static electric sound. White noise brings it out like driving the car or the furnace. I remember this specific sound went away before. But overall I am handling it well enough. I am 5 months off next Friday. What’s life like for you lately?

@[Al...] I totally get the ups and downs. I am sorry it’s bringing you down as I know for many of us this is our worst symptom. Did you know there are people working on a way to help rewrite our brains to make the sound less audible? I like knowing someone out there is trying to help. But I really believe the brain is an amazing machine. My brain blocked out my tinnitus for 2.5 years! And then I messed it up with benzos. Now I hear it again. But I have faith it will get better. What’s life like for you lately?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Re...]

@[Sw...] Improperly taken off benzos by an "at-home medical detox" after years of PRN Xanax and 2 years of regular Ativan use. Severe polydrugging from 2017-2023. Put on Seroquel in benzo withdrawal, made things worse. Off of EVERYTHING now, don't take anything not even Tylenol. No possible offenders like herbs, supplements, vitamins, minerals, caffeine, dairy, alcohol, gluten, etc. No chemical dyes or products. Zero, zilch, nada. Organic clean as possible food and clean as possible water. This is my new lifestyle now. 18 months off benzos / 9 months off Seroquel. I consider myself at 9 months since this was last drug. Just starting to turn a little bit of a corner it seems but cautiously optimistic.

• Like 2

[Sw...]

@[Re...] I am glad you have 9 MONTHS! Wow! Of freedom. I am sorry it must feel like it’s been such a long journey. I believe God has a plan for you! Even if you aren’t in the faith, I believe you will heal and find happiness again. So great for the optimistic turn of the corner. I believe it WILL happen for you. Who knows why this process has to be so slow and difficult for us but finding meaning in each day helps me. 

[Sw...]
Posted (edited)

I just wanted to pop in and say it’s all sun and 60 degrees here in the east coast where I live. It’s a beautiful day and I am honestly feeling really sad about how much my life has changed. I feel sick a lot of the time, run down, congestion and swelling in throat and popping in my ears, muscle soreness in my suboccipital area that radiates to my scalp, temple, neck and SCM. I have a good day then a bad day. I have anxiety and then depression and then I’m happy. My tinnitus is good then bad then good then terrible. It feels like I can’t rely on anything to be consistent or easy. Today my tinnitus really bothering me as well as muscle soreness. I am focusing on other things to keep my mind occupied but sitting in the sun outside somehow is making my tinnitus worse lol. This is so hard. I just want to be back to normal and I’m just so far from that. 

Edited by [Sw...]
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

[Re...]
51 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

I just wanted to pop in and say it’s all sun and 60 degrees here in the east coast where I live. It’s a beautiful day and I am honestly feeling really sad about how much my life has changed. I feel sick a lot of the time, run down, congestion and swelling in throat and popping in my ears, muscle soreness in my suboccipital area that radiates to my scalp, temple, neck and SCM. I have a good day then a bad day. I have anxiety and then depression and then I’m happy. My tinnitus is good then bad then good then terrible. It feels like I can’t rely on anything to be consistent or easy. Today my tinnitus really bothering me as well as muscle soreness. I am focusing on other things to keep my mind occupied but sitting in the sun outside somehow is making my tinnitus worse lol. This is so hard. I just want to be back to normal and I’m just so far from that. 

I understand what you are going through! Are you still tapering or off at this point?

[Sw...]

@[Re...] I am 5 months off this Friday. 
1 + year off marijuana

10+ months from having any alcohol 

No other medicines. 

I’m just over it lol

i keep a good attitude but oh my gosh i hate how I just feel like I’m running at 50%. Mentally I’m okay most of the time. It’s the physical stuff that I find a bigger battle. 

• Like 1

[Re...]
26 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

@[Re...] I am 5 months off this Friday. 
1 + year off marijuana

10+ months from having any alcohol 

No other medicines. 

I’m just over it lol

i keep a good attitude but oh my gosh i hate how I just feel like I’m running at 50%. Mentally I’m okay most of the time. It’s the physical stuff that I find a bigger battle. 

Good thing you are off of everything at this point. It is hard to feel proud of such an achievement when you feel like utter crap every day I get that. I am with you, buddy! I am also off of everything I won't even take a vitamin or supplement -- nothing. Zero. You are very early on in this process even though by anyone's measure 5 months is a long while to be feeling so awful Have you gone to any of the withdrawal support groups Angela Peacock hosts? I know many people find them helpful for social support which is a key component in withstanding healing time. I hope I am not telling you anything that you don't know already. But, once you cross six months you are technically out of the acute phase. That can last 3-6 months so realistically you could experience the start of symptom lift anytime now. Fingers crossed for you! In the meantime, it sounds like you are doing the right thing to get through this which is finding ways to pass the time.

• Like 2

[Kh...]
On 07/04/2024 at 11:48, [[S...] said:

@[Pi...] @[Re...]

can you share some of your story? Any other drugs you’re on, time you were taking benzos, any relevant information would be helpful. 

I will tell you when I first got tinnitus in 2018 it took me three years to completely overcome and not give a crap about. I then had  2.5 really good years and then landed back at the beginning by starting benzos again and then tapering off. 

it might seem like you will never overcome it but even if it didn’t go away at some point habituation is real and is in my opinion as good as not having it. I know it seems like a curse but as someone who struggled for years I truly did get through it all. 

@[Kh...] don’t think about having it forever. When we think about forever it is overwhelming. Just focus on this day. This day can be a good day. Find things to do that make you feel good. What do you do lately to stay busy or feel productive?

@[Th...] I’m the same way. Most of the time I can block it out. The only sound hard to block out is this static electric sound. White noise brings it out like driving the car or the furnace. I remember this specific sound went away before. But overall I am handling it well enough. I am 5 months off next Friday. What’s life like for you lately?

@[Al...] I totally get the ups and downs. I am sorry it’s bringing you down as I know for many of us this is our worst symptom. Did you know there are people working on a way to help rewrite our brains to make the sound less audible? I like knowing someone out there is trying to help. But I really believe the brain is an amazing machine. My brain blocked out my tinnitus for 2.5 years! And then I messed it up with benzos. Now I hear it again. But I have faith it will get better. What’s life like for you lately?

Yes…I get it.  It’s still hard.   am functional and able to golf with friends, have a glass of wine here and there.  I just have 2-3 symptoms that are persistent.  And a new one…waking up with internal restlessness…again.  Ugh.   I can do most things but tire easier than I used to.   Love watching/listening to YouTube music….watch news, stock market etc..check out this guy

• Like 2

[Kh...]
4 hours ago, [[S...] said:

We have nice weather in west coast too. 3 days and rain showers coming. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

• Like 1

[El...]

I have been following this thread with much interest. I have been tapering from 3 mg lorazepam since late April 2023 (unfortunatey, I am still tapering). By mid July I started developing tinnitus in my right ear. It became so intense by this February-March that the resulting nausea made it hard for me to keep food down. Additionally, with the tinnitus, came dizziness, accompanied by several falls, some hearing loss and blinding headaches. As I was discussing this with my provider during my last refill-check appointment, he encouraged me to get my ears examined. When I went to my GP last week, to my compete surprise, both ears were completely impacted with ear wax. My GP tried for an hour to remove the impacted ear wax. Finally, she gave me a prescription for ear drops to use for a week to further soften the wax build-up. Today, I went for further lavage of both ears. To my great surprise, when she was able to completely flush my ears, the dizziness and tinnitus began to decrease. Tonight, my tinnitus has gone from a fairly constant 8-10 down to about a 2 . I am not dizzy, I was able to eat dinner without becoming ill, my hearing seems to have returned and my headache has lessened considerably. Up until March when the tinnitus became so severe, I was swimming 2 miles 4-5 times per week. Since I am prone to “swimmer’s ear”, I do use custom made ear plugs which are extremely tight. I am sure the use of the ear plugs resulted in the ear wax problem. I know I do have some degree of ototoxicity from so many years of using Xanax and now tapering with lorazepam, but the improvement so far is just short of amazing.

The strange part of this outcome is that I really do not know how to proceed. I was basing my reductions on the severity of my tinnitus and was tapering at a snail’s pace as a result. I am almost afraid to cut at a more rapid rate.

Anyway, I encourage people with tinnitus to at least see your doctor to see if maybe some of your suffering may be partly due to impacted ear wax. As I said, I don’t expect the tinnitus to completely disappear, but this improvement from the 24/7 constant high pitched “eeeeeee” and hissing is so very welcome.

• Like 3

[Kh...]

Most my SXs are waning and having some pretty good days at 9 weeks off....except the T which ramps whenever it wants too...no rhyme or reason.  Hate it  ugh

• Like 1