Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Who has had improved tinnitus? We need a positive master thread

[Al...]
6 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Hi @[Al...] I remember being so overstimulated by driving it would ramp my tinnitus is to being very loud when I got out of car and take a few minutes to settle. It does get better! I really don’t have that anymore. You said it’s been just a few months for you?

I woke up today with such peaceful tinnitus. Sometimes it’s so loud and high pitched. It’s been a nice few hours of softer tinnitus this morning. I hope all this up and down trends toward a definite and gradual improvement :)

Even riding as a passenger does it for me but I refuse to give in.  Usually it ramps up that night and the day after. In 24 hours it abates some.  Today was a glorious day so I worked outside.  I just tell myself that the T is the cost of my enjoyment and I am just gonna win!  I jumped Oct 15 so it's 5 months now!  Congrats on your peaceful T.  Is it cicadas like mine?

[Al...]
On 16/03/2024 at 08:52, [[G...] said:

I am 18 months, benzo, free and med free tinnitus, was terrible the first year I just tried to occupy my mind with other things, if all possible, The last six months it has slowly improved. I’m at the point now maybe one or two days out of the week it will totally go away which is a tremendous blessing. The other days are quite manageable. I could live like this but I’m sure it’s gonna continue to improve as it has over The last six months. I can’t tell you how much better life is then it was 18 months ago for all y’all still tapering or just making the jump it is so worth it I have began to heal and sleep is slowly returning. What a blessing I’m still struggling with some symptoms but surethese will pass in time. wishing all of y’all the best in recovery your fellow buddy.

Amazing and wonderful to hear that you are doing well.  It gives us hope here. I guess I have a ways to go :)  Wishing you the best as well, right back at you !!

• Love 1

[Br...]

My tinnitus was one of the last withdrawal symptoms to resolve. My impression is that this is true for many of us. I'm 4 1/2 years post jump now.  In the last 6 months (roughly) I haven't had tinnitus at all.  In the year prior to that it cropped up if I was especially stressed or fatigued.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

[Sw...]

@[Al...] I have pure tone sound like a fridge I guess you could say like that eeeeee sound. And then a layer of what sounds like electric sparks. And it can all change pitch and volume. 

The cicada/ electric sound is high pitch and usually hard to ignore but I try to accept it each day and keep hope that it can always get better. 

Congratulations on being 5 months out. That’s incredible progress. How are things going over all for you?

My T peace lasted a short time but was such a nice surprise and hopefully means there’s room for more improvement in time. 

• Love 2

[Al...]
On 20/03/2024 at 22:47, [[S...] said:

@[Al...] I have pure tone sound like a fridge I guess you could say like that eeeeee sound. And then a layer of what sounds like electric sparks. And it can all change pitch and volume. 

The cicada/ electric sound is high pitch and usually hard to ignore but I try to accept it each day and keep hope that it can always get better. 

Congratulations on being 5 months out. That’s incredible progress. How are things going over all for you?

My T peace lasted a short time but was such a nice surprise and hopefully means there’s room for more improvement in time. 

Overall my sxs are resolving with the exception of T.  Im sad that it's taken nearly 3 years to taper and get this far.  Im not the person I used to be,  fit.  .... optimistic .... engaged.  Now I have to start thinking about getting my old self back if that's possible.  I know Ive changed but I am determined to get better.   FYI two days ago I woke up at 7 am with NO T and I decided I needed another hour of sleep.  When I awakened my t was as loud as it ever was and has stayed loud until this am.  It has dropped to 1/2.  It blows my mind how fickle it is.  I suppose it's related somehow to cortisol and our sleep cycle.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Th...]
3 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Overall my sxs are resolving with the exception of T.  Im sad that it's taken nearly 3 years to taper and get this far.  Im not the person I used to be,  fit.  .... optimistic .... engaged.  Now I have to start thinking about getting my old self back if that's possible.  I know Ive changed but I am determined to get better.   FYI two days ago I woke up at 7 am with NO T and I decided I needed another hour of sleep.  When I awakened my t was as loud as it ever was and has stayed loud until this am.  It has dropped to 1/2.  It blows my mind how fickle it is.  I suppose it's related somehow to cortisol and our sleep cycle.  

Funny how we get breaks from our T, it makes no sense if it can stop, why it won't continue to be gone. Something works right during our T breaks, why does it have to come back?! Very aggravating! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

[Sw...]

I had a great few days, probably best days I’ve had so far, the past few days. But today it’s ramped up so feels 10x worse. 

I am hanging in there. It’s annoying that there is a habit to totally disregard the good days over a bad string of days. 

• Like 1

[Sw...]

@[Al...] I feel you, I ahevwhat feels like no symptoms that take away from my quality of life except for this tinnitus. And stress makes it worse. I still have unregulated emotional surges but I handle it well compared to how I did before. I have to believe that the loud then soft tinnitus is representative of healing. But it’s so stupid that it’s good then bad. What other injury/illness heals then gets worse? Agghhhh 

hopefully there are some positives happening despite the negatives 

[Al...]
On 23/03/2024 at 12:57, [[S...] said:

@[Al...] I feel you, I ahevwhat feels like no symptoms that take away from my quality of life except for this tinnitus. And stress makes it worse. I still have unregulated emotional surges but I handle it well compared to how I did before. I have to believe that the loud then soft tinnitus is representative of healing. But it’s so stupid that it’s good then bad. What other injury/illness heals then gets worse? Agghhhh 

hopefully there are some positives happening despite the negatives 

I know SS,  Ive had a string of bad days and the bad little voice in my head says it's getting worse but my rational voice says no, it just seems worse bc I had good days.  YUCK.  Might be weather, might be travel .....  Im trying not to let it dominate but it's a struggle.  Im not really having much sxs otherwise.

I do believe that we will heal.  I have to.  So I'll say prayers for all the super folks here who are healing and have T.  image.thumb.png.6e7c7793d3864a1574af7bf8899b14a9.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

[Sw...]

Just to keep this thread going and kind of journal along the way my T was really tolerable last night. Could even watch tv without it being louder than the tv. Was quiet during sleep and is even still pretty calm this morning compared to other times. Really up and down. And switching ears too lol. But I am grateful for a good night into the morning. I’d say I had 3 or 4 times in last two weeks it was easier to watch tv so that’s good!

• Like 1

[Sw...]

Should note the left ear has taken on the hissing I usually hear in my right ear at this moment.

Sometimes jumping over the the left but then ending back up in right. Weird!

• Like 1

[PE...]

My is better. From a high tone in both ears to a more windy white noise. 

• Like 2

[An...]
On 22/03/2024 at 13:44, [[T...] said:

Funny how we get breaks from our T, it makes no sense if it can stop, why it won't continue to be gone. Something works right during our T breaks, why does it have to come back?! Very aggravating! 

I think stress is the primary culprit after brief periods of remission. We can not eliminate all stress from our lives, only try to effectively manage it as best as we can.

• Like 1

[Kh...]

I know this is meant to be a positive thread, but my T is still front and center.  I am having some windows at 6 weeks off, but not from the evil T.  I purchased some hearing aids that I wear to mask, and they help.  But don’t know if it’s a long term solution.  😓

• Like 1

[PE...]
14 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

I know this is meant to be a positive thread, but my T is still front and center.  I am having some windows at 6 weeks off, but not from the evil T.  I purchased some hearing aids that I wear to mask, and they help.  But don’t know if it’s a long term solution.  😓

You had it all taper right buddy?

It suppose to be one of the very last symptoms to leave so i just accepted it.

[Kh...]

Yes,  all the way thru the taper.  it came last summer when I reached tolerance.  Pretty tough to accept at these levels.  And it’s not just a conscious choice to accept - at least not for me.  

Edited by [Kh...]

[PE...]
54 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Yes,  all the way thru the taper.  it came last summer when I reached tolerance.  Pretty tough to accept at these levels.  And it’s not just a conscious choice to accept - at least not for me.  

It will go down in levels. Yes when it's at it's worse it can't be ignored.

It would be interesting to know the mechanism behind it. It's so very common.

• Like 1

[Sw...]
Posted (edited)

@[PE...] I see you have you seen tinnitus improvements for yourself!! What’s your journey been like with withdrawal and recovery?

Edited by [Sw...]

[PE...]
Just now, [[S...] said:

@[PE...] have you seen tinnitus improvements for yourself? What’s your journey been like with withdrawal and recovery?

Hi. I tried tapering the whole last year but was in bad wd the whole time and went up and down in dose to try to stabilize. I gave up and ct 6 month ago.

I got better after a weeks and have ever since get mych better.

[Kh...]
15 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

@[Kh...] I think I read somewhere it started from a cold? Is that right?

Yes…it was a sinus/ear infection.  But upon reflection, i believe I became tolerant and very sick from benzos all at the same time.  It was a terrible 2-3 weeks window when everything snowballed.  I am 6 weeks post jump after 4 month taper.  I am seeing improvements, just not with the T.  😭

[Sw...]

@[Kh...] when I first got tinnitus it was from a sinus infection, but what happened was my ear drum blew out, I lost all my hearing in the left ear, and a LOUD ringing began. I was TERRIFIED. I saw an ent she prescribed me antibiotics, prednisone, afrin, Flonase, antihistamine, and Xanax all at once! The ringing completely went away but then later came back and I’ll never know why but  I think it is because I just stopped taking the Xanax and also had bad rebound affect from all the meds I was prescribed at once. Anyways I was devastated and thought my T would never get better. It did!! Like to the point I could care less about it never bugged me and I was happy. This time coming off klonopin it’s totally messed up my tinnitus and it’s just crazy annoying but I totally believe it will become a non issue in time. You’re only a few weeks out. I know it feels like it will never get better but I assure you it will. It could even disappear. But even if it stayed it would become a nonissue because the brain just learns to lower the volume and silence it 90% of the time for most people with tinnitus. Try to accept that it’s rough right now but not forever! It WILL get better. 

[Sw...]

@[PE...] congratulations on getting off the benzos. I am glad that you’ve seen improvements and bet you’re just going to keep seeing more!

[Kh...]
21 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

@[Kh...] when I first got tinnitus it was from a sinus infection, but what happened was my ear drum blew out, I lost all my hearing in the left ear, and a LOUD ringing began. I was TERRIFIED. I saw an ent she prescribed me antibiotics, prednisone, afrin, Flonase, antihistamine, and Xanax all at once! The ringing completely went away but then later came back and I’ll never know why but  I think it is because I just stopped taking the Xanax and also had bad rebound affect from all the meds I was prescribed at once. Anyways I was devastated and thought my T would never get better. It did!! Like to the point I could care less about it never bugged me and I was happy. This time coming off klonopin it’s totally messed up my tinnitus and it’s just crazy annoying but I totally believe it will become a non issue in time. You’re only a few weeks out. I know it feels like it will never get better but I assure you it will. It could even disappear. But even if it stayed it would become a nonissue because the brain just learns to lower the volume and silence it 90% of the time for most people with tinnitus. Try to accept that it’s rough right now but not forever! It WILL get better. 

Thanks so much for your positive words.  I really appreciate them.  I have seen several experts that echo what you are saying here.  As always, we worry too much and wonder “what if I am in the 10% that perpetually suffers?”  Right now it lowers every so often, but is generally constant.  I purchased hearing aids that can deliver white noise or whatever I like to mask.  It is also supposed to help the brain habituate.  I can only wait and be patient…not my strong suit.  

[Sw...]

@[Kh...] I assure you you’re in the worst of it and it DOES get better. Keep pushing through accepting what is and reminding yourself each day you are one day closer to getting where you want to be. It’s so slow and gradual.  Like you I was so so so depressed when I first got T and then remember after time passed waking up one day thinking how I actually was so used to my t I enjoyed it. It was soothing. I know that sounds crazy but it’s true! The maskers sound really helpful and in time you’ll be able to tune it out without them, or it will just go away, but both are wins in my opinion. 

• Like 1