People with insomnia, what motivates you to exercise?

[ca...]

[ca...]

I am a schizophrenia patient who is on withdrawal. I am on antipsychotics and my schizophrenia is under control. I took 0.5 mg of clonazepam for 8 months, followed by low dose quitiapine (50 mg) for 14 months. I quit cold turkey in October 2023 as it was not helping. I used to get nightmares while taking quitiapine and my body got used to 0.5 mg of clonazepam (so no effect). I presently have severe insomnia - sleep only 3 hours per day. I just wanted to ask my fellow benzobuddies, what motivates you to exercise when you are suffering from insomnia? How do u do it? Any tips will be helpful. Thanks:)

[Th...]

I'd be careful with exercise, especially at 4 months off.  All I could do was walk for about the first 2 years after my CT.  If I tried to lift weights or do any type of strenuous exercise, it always jacked up my symptoms and intensity.  It's not a contest regarding sleep, but 3 hours is actually not bad at this point.  I averaged 5-10 hours of sleep per week for months and had around 70 zero nights or nights of no perceived sleep.  I understand the logic.  If you exercise, you'll get more sleep.  That normally doesn't work with Benzo-Induced insomnia.  Although it has helped some people?  Experiment and see how it goes for you.  Everyone is different so maybe it will help you?  Nothing short of another Rx drug will help with sleep and you said Seroquel gave you nightmares.  I'd definitely stay away from all future Benzo use now that you're off.  Ashton says insomnia typically resolves in 6-12 months, some take less time, but many take more time.  It's a very nonlinear process and very up and down until it evens out for good.  Peace!

Edited by [Th...]

[Jo...]

Well I’m still taking hydroxyzine and dayvigo but I have cut the doses to half of what I was using. I was on temazepam and gabapentin for two months and I have been off them for three months. I was always a gym rat and it’s the only thing that helps me. There have been many days when I’m in the gym and I have tears in my eyes because I can’t lift how I use to lift but I still come because they gym has always been a second home for me. It got me through the toughest times in my life when I was dealing with sever PTSD from numerous combat deployments. I’m actually about to go to the gym right now. I do what I can and I’m surrounded by people who are supporting me to get better. I go the sauna after every workout it helps your body detox and makes you feel great. It is my solace even on days where I have gone three or four days without sleep I’ll be there. The first month after cutting was the hardest but I’m stubborn. I actually had seven hours of sleep a couple weeks ago but I am averaging about three to four right now. I’m tapaerint hydroxyzine even tho they say there are no withdrawals but I don’t know about that. They say the same thing about dayvigo too but I have tapered it down to 5 from 10 so it’s a work in progress. My goal is to be med free by the end of summer 

• Like 1

[Kr...]

You sound good to me. Many people can’t even take a 15 minute walk. 

[Th...]

I pretty much go to the gym every day of every month.  I lift weights (different body part) each day and do Cardio 3 or 4 days per week.  I'm 60 and not bragging, but can still bench 225 x 15 reps.  During withdrawal I could barely get 135 x 5 reps and that's when I found out I couldn't lift w/o amping up my symptoms.  Everything you are experiencing is TEMPORARY.  It will end.  Don't rush it.  Accept what it is.  I'm not sure how old you are, but just be patient.  You'll be back to being a gym rat again.  Don't accept the lie that you're permanently broken or that you can't gain muscle or strength past a certain age.  Peace!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

[ro...]
7 hours ago, [[T...] said:

I pretty much go to the gym every day of every month.  I lift weights (different body part) each day and do Cardio 3 or 4 days per week.  I'm 60 and not bragging, but can still bench 225 x 15 reps.  During withdrawal I could barely get 135 x 5 reps and that's when I found out I couldn't lift w/o amping up my symptoms.  Everything you are experiencing is TEMPORARY.  It will end.  Don't rush it.  Accept what it is.  I'm not sure how old you are, but just be patient.  You'll be back to being a gym rat again.  Don't accept the lie that you're permanently broken or that you can't gain muscle or strength past a certain age.  Peace!

Man I needed to hear this. I’ve been lifting and working out my whole life. It is literally how I’ve always dealt with depression or anxiety or anything. I haven’t been able to do ANYTHING for 19 months since my ct. I walk and I’m not bed ridden but I’m housebound 90% of the time. I can’t explain it. I just have no coordination or strength or motivation or drive and my system is just off. And I don’t sleep for sh#t. I need to know I will get this passion back. I’ve lost all the muscle mass and strength I had acquired over the last 20 years. So hard to deal with.

Edited by [ro...]

[Th...]

I started my withdrawal when I was 52.  I hadn't lifted in a few years prior to the withdrawal, so it wasn't as big of a hit for me to lose anything regarding strength or muscle mass, although I did lose about 25lbs during my withdrawal because I literally was never hungry.  You'll get back what you lost for strength and muscle mass.  It sucks starting over again, but what other option do you really have.  You have something to look forward to even though no one knows when you might be able to do that again?  But, you will get back in the gym someday...I promise!  Peace!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
[re...]

One word....... BDNF is my answer to the original post question. 

I am going to go a bit out on a ledge here a bit from what people are saying and am just giving a different perspective based on TONS of research and my own anecdotal experiences as well. And although lifting is great for your overall testosterone levels if you are a male and even women get benefits from lifting. 

AEROBIC exercise is what you need most for brain healing. I have read sooooooo many pub med/ nih articles on aerobic exercise and the brain and two books come to mind Jon Ratey's "Spark" as well as a book called "The brain changes itself" and this second reading is more about the power of neuroplasticity, but it also mentions aerobic exercise as a tried and proven benefit for the brain. Even Peter Attia researched and found aerobic exercise actually has just as much benefit as SLEEP for god's sakes in terms of beta amyloid cleaning out. These are bold discoveries. 

My new moniker is this. First heal the brain with the aerobics then get the upper body going with the weights. Yes weight training has SOME cardio. But just nowhere near the steady cardio and max heart rate you will get from power walking and hiking,  cycling, swimming, etc. 

Now most studies of aerobic exercise have discovered that most will not see results for 16 weeks minimum. But if you are doing a taper or even post jump then why not do some good ole aerobic exercise like power walking, cycling, swimming, etc to really get the blood flow to the brain going. 

I am of course not anti lifting and if you can do ANYTHING in this hell then it is good. But real aerobic exercise is the key. And think about this. Being in an artificial place, especially at the gym with all this grunting, and people and hot chicks taking tons of selfies with hardly nothing on is enough stress to make one snap. :2funny:

Think of this in comparison to being outdoors with major oxygen intake and your not breathing in others co2 alone is good for the brain and I think it is why so many claim success with some HBOT. 

And just being outside with the birds chirping and the moving thru space and time is MUCH better for your spirit. I don't think too many can claim other wise. Even if you are in an urban jungle. There are usually tree lined parks where you could go and do some good old aerobic exercise.  

• Like 2

[Th...]

Yes, I concur...that's why I do cardio 3-4 times per week for at least 30 minutes.  Increasing cardio training also allows you train harder with free weights or machines.  Peace!

• Like 2

[Ma...]

Agreed. I walked 15,760 steps yesterday-with naps (like going into the abyss naps) in between. Today I’ve done 10,000 so far and I feel like hell. I woke up-like we all do-in Groundhog Day but feeling literally like the sky was falling.

My 1st 8 a.m. walk was like going through quicksand, but I did it. And 2 more so far-presently in bed.

By evening I can just feel the endorphins kicking in and it feels great. I know it will buildup and I do believe in the power of neuroplasicity.

Off topic question: when I talk with neighbors or just recently a store owner, I feel like my head is empty and I’m in a fish bowl…it’s not do/dr so much as 1/4 of my brain is gone or something…can’t explain…anyone understand? And after maybe 10 minutes it feels like my brain is saying, Enough-abort mission as you’ve depleted reserves! Anyone??? 🥹

[re...]

To anyone wondering about the 16 week study I mention. There are many out there I have seen, but here is kind of what I am talking about and these are double blinds so pretty good stuff. And it was exercise vs Zoloft on depression. Starts at the 17:00 mark. I would watch this whole video though. It has wonderful info and he is so well spoken. This is Jon Ratey. He also talks about GABA in the Hippocampus at 24:40. Just GREAT GREAT stuff and hopefully will give some of you hope about the power of exercise.  And all you CBD junkies :balloon: check out 23:18 it will blow your mind. To me way cheaper than all that CBD you are doing which you don't even know where it is coming from and how you will react to that certain strain. 

Edited by [re...]
added content

[re...]

Of course like he says. It gets buried because big pharma can't POSSIBLY allow exercise to be actually contemplated as an option when their precious child "Zoloft" is the answer to everyone's problems of course due to your "chemical imbalance":2funny:

[re...]

To anyone contemplating exercise. Just MOVE!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't have to be a fight with yourself and a competition. Even take lots of breaks if you need to. Just get moving regardless of the withdrawal or taper or whatever. If you can walk even around your house that is great. Outdoors is better for you though if at all possible due to the higher oxygen levels you will receive.  Just don't push it TOO much, but I would suggest going a bit out of your comfort zone cause lets be honest your benzo/psych medicated and withdrawal brain is gonna tell you not to when you feel every weird heart skip and tingle, double vision, chest tightness and what ever else. Just try and push through these and it will teach your brain to not associate exercise with death and your symptoms. You will learn to not give these uncomfortable sensations power and control over you and it will be a HUGE positive  in your progress.

If it makes you feel better then get a doctor's permission before you start. 

GET MOVIN PEEPS!!!!!!!!!!