Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Cataract Surgery Without Sedation

[Ne...]

I just had cataract surgery and refused Versed.  The anesthesia nurse really took an attitude when I refused Versed and shut me down when I tried to explain BIND.  She refused propofol which I have used before so I went with nothing other than pain killers.  Also had them change my antibiotic eye drops and steroid drops.  Cataract surgery was success and no issues one week later.  Going with no sedative was absolutely no issue for me but I had to calm myself down as I was so upset with anesthesia nurse telling me how she had 20 years experience and that my difficulty coming off benzo was all in my head!  It just angers me that so may people in the medical field even refuse to listen with a somewhat mind to our experiences!

• Like 1

You are indeed very brave.  I've had cataract surgery in both eyes; not at the same time of course.  I wasn't trying to taper benzos at the time, but was still taking them.  The clinic ran us through like an assembly line.  I had the numbing shots, et al.  I wasn't even aware of the fact that there could be a drug interaction.  Fortunately there wasn't.  You've got more 'guts' than I do.  Way to go! 

I did have amoxicillin about six weeks ago for gum surgery and I did have a setback of chemical anxiety for about a week.  When I came back for the second half of my mouth and asked if antibiotics was necessary, I was told that the risk was low for infection and is more of a safeguard.  I declined the antibiotics and came through with no issues.  Antibiotic avoidance may not be possible but best to inquire and seek out possible alternatives to help avoid issues from a sensitized CNS.

16 hours ago, [[M...] said:

@[Ne...] Did you need any sedation?

No I did not have any sedation for my cataract surgery other than pain and numbing medication.

9 hours ago, [[N...] said:

No I did not have any sedation for my cataract surgery other than pain and numbing medication.

What kind of pain and numbing medication ?  Was the experience similar to when they numb you at the dentist 

office ?  I get really anxious with the shots and not knowing if they will hurt.  I need cataract surgery and have been putting it off because I had a retina tear 20 years ago, and the fear of the drugs they use.  

Reading about your experience has given me hope that it might not be as bad as my mind wants to believe. My husband had the dropless surgery and did very well, but used versed for sedation which terrifies me.

So happy your surgery went well !:classic_smile:   

@[Su...] I just posted on the w/d recovery thread that Benzo Alliance,’& Jennifer Leigh all said propofol is okay to use for those harmed by benzos. Cleveland Clinic agreed for those with non TBI & TBI.

Just FYI if you need sedation.

20 hours ago, [[S...] said:

What kind of pain and numbing medication ?  Was the experience similar to when they numb you at the dentist 

office ?  I get really anxious with the shots and not knowing if they will hurt.  I need cataract surgery and have been putting it off because I had a retina tear 20 years ago, and the fear of the drugs they use.  

Reading about your experience has given me hope that it might not be as bad as my mind wants to believe. My husband had the dropless surgery and did very well, but used versed for sedation which terrifies me.

So happy your surgery went well !:classic_smile:   

They gave me numbing drops in the eye and fentanyl for pain.  The only side effect from fentanyl was constipation that was easily addressed.  I had a retinal detachment in the other eye and previous retinal tears in the eye that I just had cataract surgery in.  I only felt slight pressure/pinching when they did the procedure - really painless.  The antibiotic eye drop I used was Polymyzin of which I requested due to lesser anticipated effects and lotepredinol which is a lesser steroid than Prednisone.  My eye was 20/500 before the surgery and I tested 20/20 the day later.  So from my experience, I have not had any adverse reactions and am very pleased.  During the procedure, they also corrected for astigmatism as well as glaucoma.

13 hours ago, [[M...] said:

@[Su...] I just posted on the w/d recovery thread that Benzo Alliance,’& Jennifer Leigh all said propofol is okay to use for those harmed by benzos. Cleveland Clinic agreed for those with non TBI & TBI.

Just FYI if you need sedation.

Thank you Mary !  Back in 2012 I requested propofol for a colonoscopy and endoscopy and actually felt good when I woke up.  Hopefully, they will let me choose what sedation I need for the cataract surgery. My eye doctor did say, 'You don't have to use any sedation if you don't want it'.  That sounds like they will try to work with me.  

Are you going to have the surgery ?

2 hours ago, [[N...] said:

They gave me numbing drops in the eye and fentanyl for pain.  The only side effect from fentanyl was constipation that was easily addressed.  I had a retinal detachment in the other eye and previous retinal tears in the eye that I just had cataract surgery in.  I only felt slight pressure/pinching when they did the procedure - really painless.  The antibiotic eye drop I used was Polymyzin of which I requested due to lesser anticipated effects and lotepredinol which is a lesser steroid than Prednisone.  My eye was 20/500 before the surgery and I tested 20/20 the day later.  So from my experience, I have not had any adverse reactions and am very pleased.  During the procedure, they also corrected for astigmatism as well as glaucoma.

I am so sorry that you had the retinal detachment and previous retinal tears !  Was the detachment after cataract surgery on your other eye ?  I' m sure they will keep close watch on this eye, since you had the previous tears.  May I say that I admire your courage and there is no doubt that you are a strong person !  Amazing, that you tested 20\20 the day later.......and they corrected your astigmatism and glaucoma !  

I used Gentamicin and Prednisolone drops about 2 years ago for a cornea inflammation which I don't feel well using prednisone at all. I will check out the lotepredinol.

I know that you are happy with the outcome of your surgery, and thank you for sharing your experience.