Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Trazodone

[Kh...]

Saw my GP yesterday.  He was knowledgeable on benzos and understood my taper and related symptoms.  Prescribed Trazodone for sleeping. 50mg tablets, take half a pill to start.   It helped last night. That said — had a headache this am.  Google search shows lots of people having headaches.  Any experience on this board?  Apparently it’s a form of antidepressant as well.  Not sure it’s best for me but…. Thoughts anyone?  🙏🙏

I used to take trazedone, too but stopped because of the headaches and it gave me a stuffy nose/sinuses and blurry vision. Not sure if it also cause some racing heart issues after a while, but the headaches became bad and I stopped.

its a shame because it did help with sleep and even noticed slight mood improvement, but headaches are definitely a common side effect.

10 minutes ago, [[w...] said:

I used to take trazedone, too but stopped because of the headaches and it gave me a stuffy nose/sinuses and blurry vision. Not sure if it also cause some racing heart issues after a while, but the headaches became bad and I stopped.

its a shame because it did help with sleep and even noticed slight mood improvement, but headaches are definitely a common side effect.

Thanks friend.  Seems there is no relief for us!  :(  I will try it a few days and if headaches persist I will quit it.  Dr says its "safe" but seems like nothing is.

Edited by [Kh...]

I tried it for a few weeks hoping the headaches would fade, but they didn’t. 

so annoying!

Edited by [wi...]
  • Like 1

I have had headaches throughout my taper.  I'm 2.5 years in-down from 60mgs of diazepam to 4 at present.  I've complained about sleep problems for years.  Doctor's would never prescribe any type of sleeping pill, fearing that the combination with the Benzos could be the end of me.  My psychiatrist finally prescribed Trazodone and 5mg of Melatonin nightly.  It's enabled me to sleep 6-7 hours each night.  I still have headaches, but one dose of Tylenol and a cup of weak coffee will usually cause them to fade.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Saw my GP yesterday.  He was knowledgeable on benzos and understood my taper and related symptoms.  Prescribed Trazodone for sleeping. 50mg tablets, take half a pill to start.   It helped last night. That said — had a headache this am.  Google search shows lots of people having headaches.  Any experience on this board?  Apparently it’s a form of antidepressant as well.  Not sure it’s best for me but…. Thoughts anyone?  🙏🙏

Hi Khun. It's hard to ask others for feedback on a particular medication like Trazadone. Our brain chemistries are different. Not saying that the experience of others isn't valuable, but keep this in perspective.

• Like 4

Trazadone was really tricky for me. If I didn’t catch the 15 minute ‘window of opportunity’ it didn’t work and always gave me a hangover the next morning.

I took a tiny amount during acute and it dropped my blood pressure so quickly I fainted. In the kitchen. Horrible.

However, from what I understand it’s considered a fairly mild sedative. Hopefully the headaches will pass soon enough.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2024 at 06:42, [[N...] said:

Hi Khun. It's hard to ask others for feedback on a particular medication like Trazadone. Our brain chemistries are different. Not saying that the experience of others isn't valuable, but keep this in perspective.

I agree. We all are different and cases can vary. Also, using the same medication doesn't mean that all people have the same experience. Otherwise, we wouldn't know about such things as side effects. I always check them on the Canadian pharmacy site to be aware of the possible consequences and symptoms I might experience. 

Edited by [ha...]
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, [[N...] said:

Exactly. 

18 hours ago, [[N...] said:

Understand…that’s why I will try it for myself and if I get headaches I’ll know that others did too and deal accordingly.  Night 1 I had headache in am..night 2 I did not. Jury still out. 

• Like 1

Took me 16 months to taper off Trazodone. Went on it to sleep after my taper. The headaches were worse coming off. Had them most of my taper off of it.

Insomnia is back now. Should have just toughed it out to begin with 😢

22 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Took me 16 months to taper off Trazodone. Went on it to sleep after my taper. The headaches were worse coming off. Had them most of my taper off of it.

That is exactly why he prescribed.  Good to know I should be mindful of this.  how much for how long?  I am expecting this to be very short term. 🙏

Edited by [Kh...]

1 hour ago, [[K...] said:

Sorry my question wasn’t clear 🙏.  I was curious what dosage you took and how long did you take before tapering?  Thanks!

Although I’m a beginner and I’m crossover step one, my dr gave me trazedone after not sleeping at for a total of 6 days straight. I have slept 5-7 hrs a night with 50mg of trazedone and 100mg of seroquel. I haven’t really noticed anything from them specifically, but you gotta get to sleep during like a window of time or your sleep will be broken. That’s just my observation so far. Love to all of you 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[M...] said:

Although I’m a beginner and I’m crossover step one, my dr gave me trazedone after not sleeping at for a total of 6 days straight. I have slept 5-7 hrs a night with 50mg of trazedone and 100mg of seroquel. I haven’t really noticed anything from them specifically, but you gotta get to sleep during like a window of time or your sleep will be broken. That’s just my observation so far. Love to all of you 

Window of time? 

Meaning if you try to stay up past like 30 min after the dose you may miss your sleepy time window. Again everyone is different but I noticed this twice in the week I’ve been on it, last night I stayed up bout an hour passed my night dose and I slept like crap whereas other nights I laid down 20 min after taking it and slept relatively well. 

Yes, trazedone is one of those pills where it would keep me up if I didn’t go to bed the minute my eyes started burning. Very peculiar drug.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2024 at 02:04, [[K...] said:

Understand…that’s why I will try it for myself and if I get headaches I’ll know that others did too and deal accordingly.  Night 1 I had headache in am..night 2 I did not. Jury still out. 

@[Kh...], good luck to you with your sleep! Hope you will manage smoothly😴)

I know lots of people who take trazedone while withdrawing. It depends... as everything else. Please, keep updating on this topic.

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 14:07, [[K...] said:

Anything that eases the pain is a double edged sword. For me being retired was a benefit through this because there were many times I could just put life on hold. I know many of you don't have that luxury. The downside is being older makes recovery longer and harder. I would just say everyone knows their level of pain tolerance and frustration that they can handle. Use other drugs as sparingly as you can. Stay focused on the goal which is to be free of all this crap and the people who took you down this road to this ugly place following their advice. Your doctor I'm sure is a good person and is trying to help. Just remember he is trained in the medical system. Following that guidance is probably what got you here.  Be sure to talk to others on this site and do your own research. 

2 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Anything that eases the pain is a double edged sword. For me being retired was a benefit through this because there were many times I could just put life on hold. I know many of you don't have that luxury. The downside is being older makes recovery longer and harder. I would just say everyone knows their level of pain tolerance and frustration that they can handle. Use other drugs as sparingly as you can. Stay focused on the goal which is to be free of all this crap and the people who took you down this road to this ugly place following their advice. Your doctor I'm sure is a good person and is trying to help. Just remember he is trained in the medical system. Following that guidance is probably what got you here.  Be sure to talk to others on this site and do your own research. 

Understand.  I am retired as well. Life been on hold since July last year.  Man this sucks.  When will a window appear? 

Khun Kit: I'm 20 months out and still struggling in different ways. It has gotten better and short windows started about 10 months out so you may be close. But I took nothing to help except Melatonin to night to sleep. It was brutal at times but at 68 how many years do I have left to fight this thing anyway? I view it as going to the gym. No pain no gain. The drugs that stop the pain also stop or slow down the healing. I'm no doctor but I am an analyzer. Haven't even been to a doctor regarding this situation since it started because I'm disgusted with the whole system. If you've read my previous posts this is far from my first trip being poisoned by the white coats and their magic pills. I'm trying to find a good functional doctor but that isn't easy either.

Just now, [[P...] said:

Khun Kit: I'm 20 months out and still struggling in different ways. It has gotten better and short windows started about 10 months out so you may be close. But I took nothing to help except Melatonin to night to sleep. It was brutal at times but at 68 how many years do I have left to fight this thing anyway? I view it as going to the gym. No pain no gain. The drugs that stop the pain also stop or slow down the healing. I'm no doctor but I am an analyzer. Haven't even been to a doctor regarding this situation since it started because I'm disgusted with the whole system. If you've read my previous posts this is far from my first trip being poisoned by the white coats and their magic pills. I'm trying to find a good functional doctor but that isn't easy either.

I just switched providers and found an empathetic Dr in NorCal.  Gonna go see a psych who appears to have exp in this stuff although I am not sure they can do anything to help other than prescribe more drugs.  I am sure they will want to put me on ADs. I was recently Asia and managed the taper myself with a Psych that did what I asked her to do. I have seen ur journey and I know it’s been tough.  I have no one to blame but myself as I obtained these pills OTC in Asia.  Maybe the pharmacist should have warned me, I don’t know. But it’s on me.  I just want to have some positive experiences and they don’t seem to be coming.  My body aches from laying around doing nothing.  Need to walk more and get out of the house for sure.  Cheers and all the best 🙏

Khun Kit: I have to run also. My wife and I ran a business for 25 years. If we didn't build a customer base and move product we starved. The medical profession and big pharma is a multibillion dollar business. They also need to move "product". Their product is drugs and procedures. Money talks and will sway almost anyone including doctors to a certain point of view. They need to feed their families also. Take care and stay well.

• Like 2