Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Do other medications cause _this_ syndrome?

[Re...]

Do other medications cause this? 

I have been thinking recently if even wider used medications, for other non-psychiatric illnesses could have the potential of causing the syndrome we are experiencing. Medications have effects on different receptors throughout the body and they are rarely tissue selective, crossing the blood brain barrier. The specific receptors may vary in density, this is true. Theoretically, all of those medications, crossing the blod brain barrier without being tissue selective might have this potential of affecting the central nervous system in this way. 

And we see this with metoclopramide, with fluoroquinolones, metronidazole, causing a similar syndrome and flare ups in us. And there is possibly a way longer list we don't even know about. 

Has anyone heard more stories of everyday medications? Maybe ideas? 

Yes, I had ulcers from ibuprofen which you’d think is pretty safe …. Not when you take the blooming thing daily on medical advice! 

• Like 2

@[Ka...]What I meant is a syndrome like non-acute benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome.

The pathomechanism behind NSAIDs causing ulcers is known. 

There must be something we/I miss here, a lot of medications work on the central nervous system, this entity (the syndrome) is most likely there, maybe not this severe. For example there is clonidine, but I haven't found anything like protracted clonidine withdrawal, or maybe it is not even properly researched? Maybe the receptor density is the key...I really don't know and I don't understand to be honest. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, [[R...] said:

Do other medications cause this? 

I have been thinking recently if even wider used medications, for other non-psychiatric illnesses could have the potential of causing the syndrome we are experiencing. Medications have effects on different receptors throughout the body and they are rarely tissue selective, crossing the blood brain barrier. The specific receptors may vary in density, this is true. Theoretically, all of those medications, crossing the blod brain barrier without being tissue selective might have this potential of affecting the central nervous system in this way. 

And we see this with metoclopramide, with fluoroquinolones, metronidazole, causing a similar syndrome and flare ups in us. And there is possibly a way longer list we don't even know about. 

Has anyone heard more stories of everyday medications? Maybe ideas? 

An interesting point.

Idk much about medications but i know about a kind of wd i came across while using painkillers. They weren't highly potent, just a usual sort and yet it was hell in itself. Not sure whether they interact with receptors. Anyway, due to the "benzo story" I've learnt to know better than just rely on medications.

Sorry it's not very scientific)

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

I took 3 different fluoroquinilones back to back, and I was on xanax. It wrecked me. It caused much more distress to my CNS than tapering xanax did. It took 2 years before I could taper again. And, my taper has been a crawl since then. A month ago, I took a sulfa for a UTI, I am a month past my last dose. Im a hellish wave, paradoxical doses, the xanax isn't working well. Waiting it out.

I also can not take any supplements, or any over the counter meds without having issues.

Again, I blame the triple floxing for doing this to me.

So, to answer your questions, all meds hit every cell in our body. And, if they are nuerotoxic, they can be pure hell. Combine that with any psych drugs, and what an experience.

I have seen several accounts around and about of people getting floxed, and losing their minds. For some, it is what led them to getting on psych meds.

• Like 1

My issues began after fluoroquinolones. Then psych meds. When I was almost healed from the worst things I got worse after a hormonal drug and a different antibiotic, this is worse than the original injury. I have symptoms just like many people in wd from benzos or antidepressants. 

All the meds I have taken since my initial problems caused nervous system dysregulation. How it works - no idea. How I can still be getting new or worse symptoms months after last pharmaceuticals- also no idea. 

Edited by [Wi...]

@[Re...]Agree that anything the crosses the blood brain barrier has the potential to cause a withdrawal syndrome. Aside from the obvious offenders that hit gaba -Benzos, Gabapentin/Lyrica, Baclofen (gaba B), Cipro - I am  not aware of non gaba meds that create as severe a withdrawal syndrome? although Cymbalta and some anti-depressants can have some long term issues. That’s not to say other drugs and supplements don’t have withdrawal syndromes. Magnesium does. Ibuprofen hits gaba too, although not like benzos and psych drugs. Prednisone can have a withdrawal syndrome which can be more severe after prior benzo taper. 

@[Wi...]So sorry you were floxed. 

@[ba...], so sorry you were floxed too. it can take a bit after an antibiotic(Bactrim?) to stabilize, but hang in there - you will. The best I’ve felt on my taper happened 4 months after I had to take an antibiotic (before that point it was tough). I wanted to ask if you’ve tried D-Mannose for UTI? Works like a charm to prevent and treat my UTIs. 

Edited by [Pa...]
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

@[Re...]Agree that anything the crosses the blood brain barrier has the potential to cause a withdrawal syndrome. Aside from the obvious offenders that hit gaba -Benzos, Gabapentin/Lyrica, Baclofen (gaba B), Cipro - I am  not aware of non gaba meds that create as severe a withdrawal syndrome? although Cymbalta and some anti-depressants can have some long term issues. That’s not to say other drugs and supplements don’t have withdrawal syndromes. Magnesium does. Ibuprofen hits gaba too, although not like benzos and psych drugs. Prednisone can have a withdrawal syndrome which can be more severe after prior benzo taper. 

@[Wi...]So sorry you were floxed. 

@[ba...], so sorry you were floxed too. it can take a bit after an antibiotic(Bactrim?) to stabilize, but hang in there - you will. The best I’ve felt on my taper happened 4 months after I had to take an antibiotic (before that point it was tough). I wanted to ask if you’ve tried? Works like a charm to prevent and treat my UTIs. 

I dont know if i have tried  D-Mannose for UTI. My pdoc knows i wont take a fluoroquinilone or a pennicillin. We did dry Macrobid first this last UTI , it did not work. The sulpha did clear up the infection. For the strain of infection I had, and my sensitivity, he felt this was the best option.

Thank you for encouraging me. It does help to have a felow buddie  point me to anticipating recovery from the antibiotic set back. It was bactrim.

Also, validation is nice!

Edited by [ba...]
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

I dont know if i have tried  D-Mannose for UTI. My pdoc knows i wont take a fluoroquinilone or a pennicillin. We did dry Macrobid first this last UTI , it did not work. The sulpha did clear up the infection. For the strain of infection I had, and my sensitivity, he felt this was the best option.

Thank you for encouraging me. It does help to have a felow buddie  point me to anticipating recovery from the antibiotic set back. It was bactrim.

Also, validation is nice!

Yes, it feels awful to have a setback. It does get better post antibiotic. 
I had chronic UTI that I’ve been able to control with d mannose. They are miserable, I’m sorry you have had them too. D-mannose only works if E-Coli is culprit. 

• Like 1

Ive never known a heroin addict nor methadone addict that has gone cold turkey or tapered to have such severe prolonged effects ever. ? Has anyone here heard of that?

Also stimulants like dexamphetamine and methamphetamine... short term pain / cravings for the drug.

What makes benzos so differrent? Interesting.

• Like 1