Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Is it possible to get serotonin syndrome when your seretonin is depleted?

[Jo...]

The reason why I am asking is because I was put on an antidepressant that re- uptakes serotonin by my doctor while going through Benzo withdrawal. And I just read something on this website that said that Benzo use will deplete your serotonin over time. Is that true?
 The systems that I am currently dealing with are questionable?

I asked the same question on surviving antidepressants but I don’t think admins approved the topic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2024 at 12:10, [[J...] said:

The reason why I am asking is because I was put on an antidepressant that re- uptakes serotonin by my doctor while going through Benzo withdrawal. And I just read something on this website that said that Benzo use will deplete your serotonin over time. Is that true?
 The systems that I am currently dealing with are questionable?

I asked the same question on surviving antidepressants but I don’t think admins approved the topic.

Ho Joshua harper, I read a piece on benzo withdrawal help forum topic called inner feelings of despair I think it's called. You can find the piece there in that topic. Brighterday added a link to a post back 2017 called what's happening to my brain I believe it's called. But he's a neurologist or surgeon and wrote extensively on how benzos affect the brain and he does talk about serotonin and dopamine and norepinephrine. It's quite interesting and I think everyone here should read it as it is educational and gave me hope! Gaba and glutamate are also discussed. 

I hope you find it and gleen from it what you are searching for. 

Take care 

Ns