CBC News "The National" video clip on February 15, 2024: "Warnings about the overprescription of Benzodiazepines"

[La...]

Yikes!

”About 1 in 10 people in Canada has been prescribed a benzodiazepine or hypnotic at some point.  Among seniors, it’s 1 in 4.

I wish this piece pointed out that prescribers need to be informed about both safe prescribing and safe deprescribing.  If they aren’t, 1 in 4 seniors in Canada is at risk for being harmed by inappropriate deprescribing (e.g. cold turkey withdrawal, forced taper, formulaic rapid taper of 4-8 weeks).  Perhaps we should send these reporters a copy of Mark Horowitz’s new textbook (The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines: Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Gabapentinoids and Z-drugs)?

• Like 4

This has to get out, I absolutely agree and I love the documentaries I have seen recently. The focus, however, might be a bit more on safe deprescribing, too. 

Edited by [Re...]
  • Like 1

If you're interested, you can watch the whole program that is being referenced in this news clip. It's called "Cauchemar sur ordonnance" (on Radio-Canada's "Enquete" program), which means "Prescription Nightmare", and I've posted the link to the YouTube video below. You should be able to activate the English subtitles there.

Edited by [La...]
  • Like 1

I should add that Nicole Lamberson is in this program, as is Dr. Jim Wright, who has helped numerous people to safely get off benzos.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing this additional information, @[La...].  I watched the program yesterday and thought Nicole and Jim did a grand job!   Nicole’s comment about what she has lost because of her experience with psychiatric medications was quite moving.

I agree with @[Re...] that the piece would have been stronger if it had at least mentioned the importance of safe deprescribing.

PS To other potential viewers … I was unable to activate the English subtitles when viewing the video from my browser. Instead, I had to view it within the YouTube app to access the necessary controls/settings. (I was using an iPad and Safari.)