Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Concerned - Oxcarbazepine may increase the effects of diazepam

[Md...]

So for the last few weeks, i have been experiencing extra fatigue and brain fog. At first i was thinking this was from tapering off of diazepam (very slow taper: 5% cuts every 4 weeks (daily/linear taper). 

However, i also started another medication called Oxcarbazepine about 3 months ago. Common side fx of this drug are fatigue and cognition impairment. I’m on a low dose, but have always been sensitive to any kind of substance.

As i was doing my research, it turns out that Oxcarbazepine may increase the blood levels and effects of diazepam. This would not only explain why I’ve been having crazy brain fog and fatigue (more than normal), but would also explain why some people have claimed this medication helps them towards the end of their taper, as well as post taper. There was even a study that showed that people didn’t experience severe withdrawal symptoms during a rapid benzo taper while taking this medication. 

Oxcarbazepine also lowers glutamate, so maybe that’s why it may help in benzo cessation?

Point being, i want off this medication (at least for the time being), however I am concerned that benzo withdrawal side effects may occur once the Oxcarb is out of my system, almost as if im doing a rapid taper, if that makes sense. 

Perhaps I’m reading too deep into things, but i think I will be holding my benzo dose while slowly reducing the oxcarb.

Thoughts?

IMG_5386.thumb.jpeg.d7ea11b343f0b8c8c3fa95374166c986.jpegIMG_5385.thumb.jpeg.e94f099546b9b3ac5d1ca8cbd530cfaa.jpeg

IMG_5387.thumb.jpeg.669ad5e1ede3784e72514af48b7d62af.jpeg

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/diazepam-with-trileptal-862-0-1765-1129.html#:~:text=OXcarbazepine may increase the blood,effects or your condition changes.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18821451/

Edited by [Md...]