Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Is there any Risk with General anaesthesia after Benzo Withdrawal

[Pa...]

I had a very nasty long drawn out benzo withdrawal,  and I'm still not 100% back to normal, but doing much better.

I'm supposed to schedule a surgery for Sinus Polyp removal and to correct a deviated septum.  I am honestly way more scared of the possibility of being thrown right back into some withdrawal type hell experience from the Sedation than I am of the surgery itself.

Does anyone here have any experience with surgery Post Withdrawal? 

Doctors say it won't be an issue, but I long since stopped trusting most doctors.

Edited by [Pa...]

I’m also having surgery. From my ‘research’ it seems propofol is the safest for us benzo-injured…

I read propofol affects cognition and that is the last thing that I need. Any thoughts?

My surgery is a week from Monday and I am terrified.

Thank you,

I have been under the impression that Versed is the medication that is not good to be given while either taking benzodiazepines or tapering from. Propofol is the anesthesia of choice that they have given me specifically because I took clonazepam. When I had to have any day surgery procedures it has been very difficult for them to put me out. So now it’s done with general anesthetic instead of sedation. Problem solved!!

Hope this helps Mary.

Hello @[Sa...],

Welcome to Benzobuddies, and thank you for sharing your experience.  Please also feel free to start your own thread to let us know how we can support you.