Need help with Clonazepam titration

[Ad...]

Something I've noticed is about an hour before time for my night dose, I get extremely anxious and jittery. The compulsive thoughts race and I'm "wired". I take my night dose and about a half hour later, I'm calmer, but I experience extreme nausea and drowsiness. I'm not sure what to make of this because it seems like my body is craving the drug, yet not liking when it receives it. I don't feel this way with my day dose. Any thoughts why this might be? Does this sound like my body just needs to continue with a sensible taper more or that maybe I should be off it?

Adie, the pre-dose jitters and after-dose "blech" are totally normal.  I'm not having the pre-dose jitters right now, but I've sure had them and I know lots of others have mentioned this too.  A sensible taper is the way to deal with it.  There's no way to say for sure why you don't experience it in the morning, but your body chemistry is different in the morning than it is in the evening, and your level of activity at night is different than it is during the day.  Maybe you're "burning through" that day dose a little faster than your night dose and experiencing a little stronger w/d at that moment before your evening dose. 

I know I've noticed on nights where I don't sleep - and thereby my system is running "faster" because I'm awake rather than asleep - that it causes more w/d symptoms.

My psychiatrist mentioned switching to something else to help with the taper, but that was when I first started in Sept. I'm incredibly hesitant to do it because I don't want trouble getting off of two things. However, if it makes it easier, I might consider it. I really don't know what I should do.

Right now, I feel like I'm crawling out of my skin and the depression and suicidal thoughts are pretty intense. I keep hoping for that window of good moments to find me.

I asked my doctor to switch me to Valium and she refused.  I was mad at the time, but I'm okay about it now.  I think the Valium could have had the potential to make me even more lethargic, given the experiences I've read from others here - but there's truly no way to know.  Switching drugs right now would slow down your taper, and if you're managing okay with dosing twice a day, I'd say don't slow yourself down.  But that's your call.

I know right where you are with the depression and suicidal thoughts, and especially the feeling of wanting to crawl out of your skin.  You'll get to a more comfortable place - I know how hard it is to hold on, but you really will.  One thing I did was have someone move or hide as many of the "suicide items" as possible - it didn't stop the thoughts, but it made me feel safer.

Clair676, thank you so much for telling me about what you're going through. I often think I can't juggle these two things. It's too much sometimes.

It is too much, and it's totally unfair, but you know what?  You're doing it.  Every day is a success, every day is more healing.

I've been having terrible troubles with my hip, back and knee and even saw two physical therapists for them last month. They couldn't figure out how to help me and it's not typical fibro pain. I only recently made the possible connection to withdrawal.

Sounds like one to watch and see what happens as you continue w/d.

I haven't been on any meds for fibro specifically. I was offered Amitriptilene and Lyrica, but declined them due to the stories I've heard about withdrawal from those. Even if they might help my pain, I really don't want to go through this kind of thing ever again. When I'm done, I'm done. No sense visiting hell twice!

Thank Colin and eljay. I was trying to do this alone, but I realize that having support is the only way to do this.

Don't start anything new now, for sure, unless there's some very good reason (intractable insomnia, unbearable pain).  I tried amitriptyline and it Did Not Like Me - but everyone is different.

And there are so many people here to help - yes, there are times when you just have to put your head down and muscle through it, but there's always someone to turn to here.  You can do it - you already have and you already are!