Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Is my problem the soft drinks?

[Be...]

I think I already know the answer but there is a lot of wisdom within BB and I need some help.

I'm 6 years plus off all Benzos and lately started back on an occasional diet Cola.

I now have the weirdest dizziness that is hard to explain. Seems all movement walking, sitting, looking down and around causes this unsteadiness.

Dr. sez my ears are good and no evidence of vestibular issues.

I think its in my stiff neck plaguing me as just simply looking down sometimes gives me a whirl.

Is all this a reaction to aspartame? Or just a horrible stiff neck I cant beat? Maybe just a new wave and no specific reason?

I read where the cur-sed Aspartame can give people extreme dizziness.

(The other morning, I turned my head to the right while in bed and had BPPV till I turned my head back to the left.)

Well heck, that's pretty vestibular to me.

Anybody else experience this symptom/cause?? 

Is Diet drinks the culprit or just plain withdrawals this far out?

Edited by [Be...]
added info

Aspartame is excitatory to the central nervous system, and you are obviously extremely sensitive. Diet Coke is really hard on your body in many ways, even the brown coloring can cause misery. What about trying a Zevia Cola instead. Sweetened with stevia, and no coloring. I would be bed-ridden if I drank Diet Coke, but I can tolerate Zevia pretty well.

• Like 1

IDK but this question is easy to answer. Quit drinking diet Colas for a while and see if your problem goes away or not. If it does not, the diet coke probably has nothing to do with the SX you are having. You should not be having benzo w/d after 6 years, esp. if you were doing ok. Logically, benzo w/d does not make sense as the cause.

• Like 1

I agree with AntiBenzo7 on this question. Dizziness can be caused by so many things, and if you weren't dizzy while on the benzos or right after coming off them, it doesn't make sense that it would suddenly start six years later. My dizziness started while I was on them, and has continued since coming off them.

• Like 1

I take a drug called Farxiga for type 2 diabetes and I think its the culprit as well.

You guys are correct, I'm very drug sensitive as the drug Lyrica put me in the emergency room 3x with vertigo.

Stopped the drug...all good now.

Best way to describe this new issue is .....if you wear glasses and put them on in the morning just out of bed. right.

Its like I'm going through my day as if I don't have them on...Just off balance, missed steps kind of thing..

Vision checks out fine,,,In fact my vision got better off Klon.

Edited by [Be...]

There are SO many medications that can cause dizziness. In doing my research on this topic over the years, I found a medical journal article that showed just how many -- pages and pages and pages of them!

Dizziness has so many causes that it might be worthwhile to get things further checked out if it continues for you.

Aspartame is one of those artificial sweeteners, but Acesulfame potassium is the other one used in Coca-Cola drinks. Also, a dubious sweetener.