Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Anyone used mirtazapine?

[le...]

I’ve just been given mirtazapine to help with severe anxiety and OCD type symptoms. Has anyone had experience with it, is it hard to taper off. Couldn’t tolerate SSRI’s so hoping this will help. Been given 15 mg but googling seems some people take half that dose. Was very wary taking another drug but after nearly 5 years of hoping things would improve got desperate for relief. Also having CBT which isn’t helping much yet. It doesn’t seem to have horrendous side effects that some other meds have.

Edited by [le...]

I've been on mirtazapine for just above a year (alongside pregabalin so I can't say for definite that it is solely the mirtazapine, but I've been on pregabalin for half a year so I can comment on mirtazapine when I was solely on that). I have generalized anxiety disorder, and I have been on a very wide range of SSRIs, etc, but I can say that anxiety-wise, for me, mirtazipine has worked a lot better than the other medications I have been on. I still have anxiety, but the medication made it a LOT easier to deal with. I still do get anxiety or anxious thoughts, but I was able to approach them more rationally, and not have an immediate physical/mental response to the anxiety. Personally, I can't say it would be the right medication for you as I'm not a doctor, but from my experience with it, it has helped so much more than SSRIs - so if you have been on SSRIs, and they haven't benefitted you, mirtazapine is a step in the right direction medication wise.

With all medications it does have its downsides, 15mg has a more sedating effect which is why I take it before I sleep, and it does make me more groggy and it is harder to get out of bed in the morning, but when you force yourself to get out of bed, the grogginess fades after a while. The other main effect is that you feel hungry, and this can lead to weight gain, but from my experience and the way I am, I haven't been a big eater, so I don't know if that side effect is something that depends on the person taking it, but it's another thing to keep an eye on during the time you are taking it.

With coming off/tapering off mirtazapine, if you have sleep problems (or even if you don't), you can become somewhat dependent on it to fall asleep - so insomnia is another factor to consider if you do want to come off it.

I have also had CBT therapy for anxiety, i think it is helpful with certain things, but personally didn't help me too much with anxiety. Try looking into shadow work, or journalling as another thing to do between sessions. I have been doing it a lot, I was wary at first because I did not think it would help, but externalizing your problems/anxiety using writing helps in a way because it's off your chest, and even though you're not directly talking to someone about it, it definitely helps.

Wishing you all the best.

Hello @[de...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I've not used used pregabalin, tetracyclics, SSRI's, or any other antidepressant. So I am not the best person here to provide you with feedback. Hopefully, though, the @[le...] or another member will be along soon enough to comment.

Of course, the focus of BenzoBuddies is the use of benzodiazepines. But very many of our members have personal experiences with the medicines you listed.

There is often a balance to be struck between the use of medications and side effects. Is it your intention to taper off additional medications, or are you looking for help to better manage your insomnia?

It’s fir anxiety nit insomnia so quite encouraging by what Dexter said. Only been taking it 2 days, did feel bit groggy first thing. I had really bad reaction to SSRI’s so hoping this will be better. Didn’t:t want to go on more meds but after nearly 5 years with little improvement figured worth giving it a try. Hoping if it works won’t have stay on it too long. It is the lowest dose so hopefully not too many side effects,  Have been taking zopiclone fir sleep problems but tapering off that.

Edited by [le...]

On 25/11/2023 at 15:59, [[d...] said:

I've been on mirtazapine for just above a year (alongside pregabalin so I can't say for definite that it is solely the mirtazapine, but I've been on pregabalin for half a year so I can comment on mirtazapine when I was solely on that). I have generalized anxiety disorder, and I have been on a very wide range of SSRIs, etc, but I can say that anxiety-wise, for me, mirtazipine has worked a lot better than the other medications I have been on. I still have anxiety, but the medication made it a LOT easier to deal with. I still do get anxiety or anxious thoughts, but I was able to approach them more rationally, and not have an immediate physical/mental response to the anxiety. Personally, I can't say it would be the right medication for you as I'm not a doctor, but from my experience with it, it has helped so much more than SSRIs - so if you have been on SSRIs, and they haven't benefitted you, mirtazapine is a step in the right direction medication wise.

With all medications it does have its downsides, 15mg has a more sedating effect which is why I take it before I sleep, and it does make me more groggy and it is harder to get out of bed in the morning, but when you force yourself to get out of bed, the grogginess fades after a while. The other main effect is that you feel hungry, and this can lead to weight gain, but from my experience and the way I am, I haven't been a big eater, so I don't know if that side effect is something that depends on the person taking it, but it's another thing to keep an eye on during the time you are taking it.

With coming off/tapering off mirtazapine, if you have sleep problems (or even if you don't), you can become somewhat dependent on it to fall asleep - so insomnia is another factor to consider if you do want to come off it.

I have also had CBT therapy for anxiety, i think it is helpful with certain things, but personally didn't help me too much with anxiety. Try looking into shadow work, or journalling as another thing to do between sessions. I have been doing it a lot, I was wary at first because I did not think it would help, but externalizing your problems/anxiety using writing helps in a way because it's off your chest, and even though you're not directly talking to someone about it, it definitely helps.

Wishing you all the best.

Help I know this is a old thread

But can I ask if you have recovered.  I'm struggling..thank you.  X

I am on mirtazapine, but only 7,5. 

Does it help anxiety? It makes me lethargic, and it slows down your metabolism. I've always been fit and could eat whatever I wanted but since getting on Mirtazapine about half a year ago I've been gaining kilograms. I want off because for my height, my BMI is getting too high now. I'm not fat yet, but it is getting there. I don't know how I felt without mirtazapine, but I guess I was less dull than I am now. Especially the first day I was a zombie. 

It did help for the lorazepam withdrawal headaches, and you'll sleep like a baby on it. But there is tolerance already. For the rest I don't think it is a real antidepressant on my doses anyway. Maybe on 15 it is different. They say it has a completely different working on higher doses, but I'm not going to try.

I don't know how to get off of it. I will just do like 5% a week or something. Luckily, I'm not using it for a long time. 

Edited by [Hu...]

I can help with this one  :)

Mirtazapine are GREAT! Unfortunately I can't use them much at all now as I have COPD and Mirtazapine was originally an anti histamine and stops you coughing...so did not help with my breathing much

A bonus, I found them easy to taper and stop. On your 1st dose try half a tablet 7,5 because they really bomb you out at the start and you will sleep like a baby with vivid flower power dreams :)

Word of warning...you will get a CRAVING for all things chocolate and head off to bed at night with a kilo of the stuff. You really need to be disciplined on this med not to gain weight

All the best

5 hours ago, [[D...] said:

Word of warning...you will get a CRAVING for all things chocolate and head off to bed at night with a kilo of the stuff. You really need to be disciplined on this med not to gain weight

All the best

Yes. This is true. I've read a lot of reviews on Mirtazapine on drugs.com and most are positive about it. But there are still a lot of people talking about the weight gain. They even give this stuff to cats who refuse to eat, I laughed when I read that. I don't think it is that I really eat more than before. But Mirtazapine could do something to your metabolism. Hopefully not make you insulin resistance or anything permanent. The good thing about this AD is also that it doesn't cause sexual side effects. On SSRI like 70% of the people have those. 

Mirtazapine did not cause changes to insulin, increase insulin resistance, affect glucose metabolism, or significantly increase lipids. Mirtazapine can lead to weight gain because it: Makes you feel hungrier, so you eat more. Changes the way that your body stores fat.

Mirtazapine is extensively metabolized by the liver, mainly via the cytochrome P450 system, predominantly CYP 3A4, and is susceptible to multiple drug-drug interactions with agents that induce or inhibit CYP activity. The metabolic intermediates of mirtazapine may be toxic which could account for its hepatoxicity.

Does mirtazapine lower cortisol?

In contrast to the monoamine reuptake inhibitors, a single dose of mirtazapine (15 mg) decreased serum cortisol, ACTH, and urinary free cortisol in healthy male volunteers

Just stuff from Google. I don't know how it works, but maybe 15 is not as bad then? I'm going to research it. Lower cortisol sounds like a dream to me. BTW it was prescribed to me as an help for benzo withdrawal and sleep. 

Edited by [Hu...]

Did anyone find it made them feel worse at first. Only been on it about 4 days, but been crying lot for no reason. Have heard can make you worse the first couple weeks. Very disappointed after reading it can be sedating as my sleep been awful since I started only about 3 hours if I am lucky, was hoping it would help. Which makes me really depressed next day.

• 5 months later...
[fa...]
On 28/11/2023 at 18:59, [[l...] said:

Did anyone find it made them feel worse at first. Only been on it about 4 days, but been crying lot for no reason. Have heard can make you worse the first couple weeks. Very disappointed after reading it can be sedating as my sleep been awful since I started only about 3 hours if I am lucky, was hoping it would help. Which makes me really depressed next day.

How are you now?

[ve...]

I take Mirtazapine 7,5mg every other day now.  7,5mg is even more sedating than 15mg.  With larger doses it loses its sedating effect and may actually induce anxiety like restless legs syndrome.  With 30mg I experienced mild closed-eyed visuals. 

Just be careful with the munchies.  Eat lots of fiber and fruit to avoid indulging on sugar & carbs.

[Sl...]
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, [[v...] said:

I take Mirtazapine 7,5mg every other day now.  7,5mg is even more sedating than 15mg.  With larger doses it loses its sedating effect and may actually induce anxiety like restless legs syndrome.  With 30mg I experienced mild closed-eyed visuals. 

Just be careful with the munchies.  Eat lots of fiber and fruit to avoid indulging on sugar & carbs.

It is not recommended to take Mirt every other day and it needs to be tapered off (hyperbolic). Please do not take Mirt lightly as it can be quite damaging for some individuals. 

Edited by [Sl...]
  • Love 1