Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

#END FOOD FEAR# OXALATES IN FOOD DON'T HARM YOU ITS CRAP! ITS ONES OUR BODIES MAKE THAT 'MAY' GET PROBLEMATIC

[no...]

As we ALL know something and nothing gets blamed when we have hell withdrawal symptoms, when it's just that withdrawal symptoms playing out and nothing to do with anything else, and one I see a LOT on here, (and yes I fell for it for a bit a while back due to hell symptoms and looking for a why? ::)...:classic_blush:)  is that high oxalates or any level of oxalates in foods do big harm to you and are responsible for a plethora of health problems.

NOT TRUE... It's actually the one's our bodies make naturally regardless of what we do or don't eat and people are stopping eating the foods they actually need to recover out of needles fear, I have days when even simple spring water going down feels like it's causing problems, but it's nothing at all to do with the water but due to our scrambled brain signals while our central nervous system is in disarray so eat the food you enjoy.

I do it all the time now not nothing junk food as I've eaten good wholesome foods for year's now, but I  eat and take the kicking which feels like its due to the food I'm eating when it's not just crap coincidence as I need that nutrition to recover. Common sense tells you to avoid stuff that stimulating, too many artificial additives,  Alcohol etc

And  yes I know some of you can/or believe you can,  drink without it effecting your healing, but personally I'd rather put my energy into healing food and drinks rather than risking indulging in what may become problematic, I loved beer, a cig and a joint but haven't had either for some few year's now, for 2 reasons one' smoking made me LOT worse, my anxiety was going through the roof along with worsening problems.

The when I got educated about tolerance withdrawal, which I was in for year's but had no idea at all or even about withdrawal on the Benzos , and hell symptoms that was a big revelation, once aware I could see that certain symptoms got worse or arose due to alcohol intake and/or smoking, cigs, ganga, so I stopped it all CT. Wish I could do that with the "£%!@ Benzos  :brickwall:   

I've stopped certain foods before as I was convinced that was the reason for my certain hell symptoms but ate them again after a while with no problems, so if it was the food no way could I eat it after abstaining for a while then eating it again. Also, on giving it up whatever it is month later I STILL have the same hell symptoms that I blamed certain foods' intake for, so what does that tell you? 

It's got zilch to do with the foods, and just butt sucking withdrawal symptoms that have hung around for ages but will eventually get better, which is hard to believe when you feel that death is imminent or your effed up for life, all of which is not true.  If I were to die the number of times I really felt like I was going too , then I'd be the most reincarnated person in the Cosmos or perpetually cloned, none of which I am, although I may have been here before a few times or more :classic_biggrin:

Here's a wonderful video 9click on link at bottom of post) by Robert Cywes MD PhD regarding the truth about oxalates, hopefully it will help dispel needless fear in some or a lot of you about foods that you should be eating not avoiding :nono:...:thumbsup:       

Nova  :smitten:

THE TRUTH ABOUT OXALATES! Function, dysfunction, damage. - by Robert Cywes

Edited by [no...]

I think all these so called doctors are just trying to out do each other.  I don't buy into the oxalates thing, I mean rhubarb for heavens sake! and I don't buy even alcohol or tobacco in moderation. The main thing affecting health is stress and anxiety and a sort of existential crisis faced by many. We have all been fooled into medicating ourselves, as if a pill or potion can deal with these things, ridiculous in hindsight.  These doctors are full of ego, and sorry but this one is no exception.

I hear what you're saying Nov. But high oxalates can be a problem for people with MCAS for example. Totally agree however that restricting too many nutrients is not the way to go. I seem to be reacting to everything at the moment. But what can you do, you need to eat

• Like 1

7 hours ago, [[i...] said:

Can someone please explain oxalates in simple terms to me?

Oxalates are naturally occurring compounds that are commonly found in the human body as well as in plants. They are not digestible to humans and in a healthy digestive tract would be metabolized by good gut bacteria and excreted as a waste product in the stool.

Oxalates form into sharp edged crystals that can cause pain as they are stored throughout the body. They can also cause other health issues and chronic illnesses.

What causes oxalate sensivitivity?

There are several things that can contribute to oxalate sensitivity. One of the biggest causes is gut dysfuction and intestinal permeability, also known as leaky gut. If the gut is unhealthy, an excess of oxalates can be absorbed into the body instead of being filtered out. This can lead to high oxalate levels which affect every organ of the body. As more oxalates flood the body they can begin to build up and cause unwanted symptoms. Food intolerances, Candida, H. Pylori infections and some prescription medications can all contribute to leaky gut.

https://www.functionaldiagnosticnutrition.com/top-signs-you-may-have-oxalate-sensitivity/

You literally just described everything I've been going through since I started my benzo taper. It's been AWFUL. I have had SO MUCH PAIN in my gut. I already have gut permeability and I'm sure it's been exacerbated by these oxalates. My hair is falling out because my body is not absorbing nutrients. It's so sad.... 

Thank you for the info - this is really informative and helpful

Happy Thanksgiving!

I have an experience with a low oxalate diet. Years ago, I was eating a super healthy diet by drinking freshly juiced veggies a few days a week. Kale and flat leaved parsley are nutrient dense but high in oxalates. I developed severe joint pain and cysts.  A low oxalate diet cleared up these issues.  I was lucky to get my diet more balanced before starting my taper this June. I do have usual litany of symptoms including nausea, weight loss, body pain, headaches, insomnia, etc…so obviously it’s not a fix for WD. But I think it can help some :classic_smile:

Oxalate Sensitivity… or Histamine and Salicylate Intolerance?

Oxalate sensitivity is frequently self-diagnosed based on observed symptoms when eating high-oxalate foods. However, most of the time, this is probably a case of mistaken identity!While it’s true that many people feel better after switching to a low-oxalate diet (at least anecdotally!), many high-oxalate foods are also rich in two other problematic compounds: histamine and salicylate

Oxalates from Food

Part of the problem with avoiding high-oxalate foods in order to treat “oxalate sensitivity” is that the oxalate we eat doesn’t automatically become oxalate in our blood and urine. In fact, the relationship between oxalate in our diets, the oxalate in our bodies, and the formation of oxalate stones is far from linear. Studies of specific foods show that high-oxalate items don’t increase urinary oxalate in a proportional manner (in other words, the amount of oxalate in a food doesn’t always predict how much oxalate will show up in the urine after that food is eaten). For example, almonds and black beans are both high in oxalate, but trials using these foods show that a significantly higher portion of oxalate is absorbed from almonds than from black beans. Another study found that among high-oxalate foods, only eight (spinach, nuts, beets, rhubarb, tea, chocolate, strawberries, and wheat bran) significantly increased the amount of oxalate excreted through the urine. And, some high-oxalate foods (such as green tea) have been shown to protect against the formation of kidney stones, most likely due to their antioxidative components. A 2008 study concluded that “For many stone formers, restricting dietary oxalate may be a relatively ineffective intervention to reduce urinary oxalate excretion.”

Because of the tremendous overlap between foods containing oxalate, histamine, and salicylate, it’s likely that some people who feel better eating a low-oxalate diet are actually improving because they’ve reduced their histamine and/or salicylate intake. This is particularly true if the symptoms that clear up on a low-oxalate diet are unrelated to arthritis or kidney stones, which are the only issues credibly linked to oxalate (for example: headaches, itchy skin, hives, rashes, fatigue, nasal congestion, itchy or puffy eyes, hives, rashes, and other allergy-like symptoms are unrelated to oxalate, but definitely could result from histamine and salicylate intolerance!). So, “oxalate sensitivity” may be a case of mistaken identity in many instances.

https://www.thepaleomom.com/oxalate-sensitivity-real/

Edited by [no...]
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 20/11/2023 at 14:58, [[n...] said:

As we ALL know something and nothing gets blamed when we have hell withdrawal symptoms, when it's just that withdrawal symptoms playing out and nothing to do with anything else, and one I see a LOT on here, (and yes I fell for it for a bit a while back due to hell symptoms and looking for a why? ::)...:classic_blush:)  is that high oxalates or any level of oxalates in foods do big harm to you and are responsible for a plethora of health problems.

NOT TRUE... It's actually the one's our bodies make naturally regardless of what we do or don't eat and people are stopping eating the foods they actually need to recover out of needles fear, I have days when even simple spring water going down feels like it's causing problems, but it's nothing at all to do with the water but due to our scrambled brain signals while our central nervous system is in disarray so eat the food you enjoy.

I do it all the time now not nothing junk food as I've eaten good wholesome foods for year's now, but I  eat and take the kicking which feels like its due to the food I'm eating when it's not just crap coincidence as I need that nutrition to recover. Common sense tells you to avoid stuff that stimulating, too many artificial additives,  Alcohol etc

And  yes I know some of you can/or believe you can,  drink without it effecting your healing, but personally I'd rather put my energy into healing food and drinks rather than risking indulging in what may become problematic, I loved beer, a cig and a joint but haven't had either for some few year's now, for 2 reasons one' smoking made me LOT worse, my anxiety was going through the roof along with worsening problems.

The when I got educated about tolerance withdrawal, which I was in for year's but had no idea at all or even about withdrawal on the Benzos , and hell symptoms that was a big revelation, once aware I could see that certain symptoms got worse or arose due to alcohol intake and/or smoking, cigs, ganga, so I stopped it all CT. Wish I could do that with the "£%!@ Benzos  :brickwall:   

I've stopped certain foods before as I was convinced that was the reason for my certain hell symptoms but ate them again after a while with no problems, so if it was the food no way could I eat it after abstaining for a while then eating it again. Also, on giving it up whatever it is month later I STILL have the same hell symptoms that I blamed certain foods' intake for, so what does that tell you? 

It's got zilch to do with the foods, and just butt sucking withdrawal symptoms that have hung around for ages but will eventually get better, which is hard to believe when you feel that death is imminent or your effed up for life, all of which is not true.  If I were to die the number of times I really felt like I was going too , then I'd be the most reincarnated person in the Cosmos or perpetually cloned, none of which I am, although I may have been here before a few times or more :classic_biggrin:

Here's a wonderful video 9click on link at bottom of post) by Robert Cywes MD PhD regarding the truth about oxalates, hopefully it will help dispel needless fear in some or a lot of you about foods that you should be eating not avoiding :nono:...:thumbsup:       

Nova  :smitten:

THE TRUTH ABOUT OXALATES! Function, dysfunction, damage. - by Robert Cywes

I'm been wondering about that also, a lot times i feel awful after i eat, my brain symptoms get much worse so i don't if if it something in the food that should be avoided or not.... from oxalates to histamines to all other things. I realize it is a nervous system issue but maybe some things should be omitted till we heal? There is a page on youtube of a woman who talks about healing the nervous system and the gut and says that some people have a bad reaction to oxalates and should remove them, at least temporarily, I wonder if there is some truth in that.

I have severe osteoporosis and we are told to stay away from foods that contain oxalates, such as spinach, beets, etc, due to the fact that they keep your body from processing calcium in the intestines.   If vegetables that contain oxalates, you can boil oxalate vegetables and many of the oxalates are leached out the vegetable.