Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Laying Down Flat

[Bu...]

Four years ago I began having very odd sensory sensations and pain throughout my torso/abdominal area every time I would lay down flat.  I began sleeping propped up on a memory foam wedge to relieve the pain.  It wasn't great sleep, though, on my back at an 18 degree angle, and all I wanted to do was be able to lay down flat and curl up on my side.  I now know it was a side effect from a brand change of my medication.  Three days ago the pain stopped and I slept for 6 glorious hours laying down!  And I've slept laying down every night since.

Here is a poem my husband wrote to celebrate this healing.  It is written in "Green Eggs and Ham" meter.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Laying Down Flat

I can lay my sleepy head.

No more wedges on the bed!

I can lay down on the couch,

My body isn’t such a grouch!

Would you, could you by a dog?

Yes, I lay down like a log.

Would you, could you by a cat?

Yes, I now can lay quite flat!

Would you, could you, in a tent?

Yes, my insides aren’t so bent!

Would you, could you, on a train?

Yes! I’m healing in my brain!

I can lay down here or there

I can lay down anywhere!

I can sleep now, Sam-I-Am

I’m now off Clonazepam!

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

• 5 months later...
[cu...]

Funny poem! So strange, how could a brand change be responsible? Should contain the same active ingredient?

[Bu...]
6 hours ago, [[c...] said:

Funny poem! So strange, how could a brand change be responsible? Should contain the same active ingredient?

Hey @[cu...],

Every time I had to change brands it would take me anywhere from a week to a month to get through the worst of the side effects.  Because of the benzo, I believe, I have a very sensitive system and I think it was a reaction to the "inactive" ingredients in the pills (which I learned very recently are only "inactive" in the sense that they are not the drug and don't act on GABA, but they do serve other purposes).  Plus, not all brands contain the same amount of active ingredient.  For that last change, I think all that pain was/is a combo of tolerance withdrawal along with the brand change.  

Glad you liked the poem! :classic_biggrin:

[cu...]

@[Bu...] Thanks for your hypothesis and explanation. I would think that quality control must ensure that the dose on the box is the dose in the pill! These are pharmaceutical companies, not illegal drug labs. Anyway, I'm glad that you experience relief from this symptom and are celebrating the win!

What a great and fun poem.

A bit of practical advice for anyone who finds this post: You can also prop up the head end of the bed (4-6" is recommended). That allows you to lie flat while being at an angle. I do that.  Only issue is that I will slowly glide down during the night, but not a lot. 

• Like 1