Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Finally jumped after 1.5 year

[an...]

My timeline:

Xanax

01/07/2022: 0.50  mg

03/09/2022: 0.25  mg

25/03/2023: 0.125 mg

05/05/2023: 0.0625 mg

03/07/2023: 0.03125 mg

10/07/2023: 0.0125 mg (increase)

06/10/2023: 0.0625 mg

18/10/2023 jump!

I am now on day 5. No withdrawals or anxiety

Lower mg where more difficult to deal with, but happy ending i hope

Edited by [an...]
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, [[a...] said:

My timeline:

18/10/2023 jump!

Hi @[an...] 

Thanks for sharing and good to hear no w/d SX on day 5 since jumping. Can you share a bit more of your Benzo history? What benzo did you detox and how long were you on it?

6 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Hi @[an...] 

Thanks for sharing and good to hear no w/d SX on day 5 since jumping. Can you share a bit more of your Benzo history? What benzo did you detox and how long were you on it?

Hi!

I forgot to mention it was from Xanax.

I started at 01/07/2022 and was always on low doses <= 0.5mg

I have history of using xanax for anxiety in the past for 1-2 months at 1mg/0.5m daily, but i always stopped cold turkey

It was my first long use so i tappered to be safe

Edited by [an...]

4 minutes ago, [[a...] said:

Hi!

I forgot to mention it was from Xanax.

I started at 01/07/2022 and was always on low doses <= 0.5mg

I have history of using xanax for anxiety in the past for 1-2 months at 1mg/0.5m daily, but i always stopped cold turkey

It was my first long use so i tappered to be safe

Thank you. Yes, it was wise to taper this time. Do you think you will use Xanax PRN or short-term like in the past again if anxiety rears its ugly head? During the 1-2 months of use and CT stops in the past, did you experience any bad w/d SXs then?

25 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Thank you. Yes, it was wise to taper this time. Do you think you will use Xanax PRN or short-term like in the past again if anxiety rears its ugly head? During the 1-2 months of use and CT stops in the past, did you experience any bad w/d SXs then?

I always used it with compination of SSRI (citalopram) therapy, so i quited xanax after 1-2 months (when the SSRI started working). No w/d then

But this time its my third SSRI therapy, and have switched 3 different ones (citalopram, escitalopram, paroxetine) the past 1.5 year to get to a point i no longer need xanax.

So now i am only in Paxil 45mg

Edited by [an...]

@[an...] That's great. You are smart to do it this way with a good plan. My error I wanted off Xanax too fast. Paying price.

What were other SSRI you had, why did you switch? Any side effects with them?

8 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

@[an...] That's great. You are smart to do it this way with a good plan. My error I wanted off Xanax too fast. Paying price.

What were other SSRI you had, why did you switch? Any side effects with them?

past two therapies i was using citalopram

The third time i started with citalopram again, didnt work.
Then tried escitalopram that worked better but not good enough.
I am now in 7th month of paroxetine. In europe where i am its the Seroxat pill. In USA i think its called Paxil.
Its better but i need more time.

No side effects with any of them except libido problems with ALL of them.

Edited by [an...]

@[an...] Have you had tinnitus? If so, did it start before or after SSRI?

Are you feeling stable with Paxil? Do you plan to taper off that a a later date?

Wonder if I should try SSRI. I have no idea what I am doing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, [[G...] said:

@[an...] Have you had tinnitus? If so, did it start before or after SSRI?

Are you feeling stable with Paxil? Do you plan to taper off that a a later date?

Wonder if I should try SSRI. I have no idea what I am doing.

no tinnitus.

i feel stable, but not 100% anxiety free yet.

I am going to my psychiatrist twice a month, doing CBT therapy and following his schedule about doses of SSRI. Yes eventually i will have to stop SSRI

He was against using xanax. I was taking them at my own will, without hiding it from him.

Dont start SSRI without a doctor. It can be hard finding the right one for you. Also the right dose etc. Beside that when you start a SSRI it can maximize your anxiety etc for 1-2 weeks.
But yes SSRI is propably the way to cure. Xanax only temporary fights the symptoms. Doesn't cure anything

Edited by [an...]

14 hours ago, [[a...] said:

I always used it with compination of SSRI (citalopram) therapy, so i quited xanax after 1-2 months (when the SSRI started working). No w/d then

But this time its my third SSRI therapy, and have switched 3 different ones (citalopram, escitalopram, paroxetine) the past 1.5 year to get to a point i no longer need xanax.

So now i am only in Paxil 45mg

Thanks @[an...] 👍

I am having some luck with Lexapro. You are correct about SSRIs ramping up anxiety at the start of therapy. With continued therapy, the side effects slowly went away in my case as the therapeutic effects took hold, approx. 4-6 weeks.

You are also correct about finding the right one. It can be a game of trial and error. You are also correct about how most will negatively affect your libido. That may or may not be a deal breaker for some ppl. 

I plan on eventually getting off the SSRI @[an...] after I am completely off the valium. Do you plan on just staying on the SSRI for a while?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Thanks @[an...] 👍

I am having some luck with Lexapro. You are correct about SSRIs ramping up anxiety at the start of therapy. With continued therapy, the side effects slowly went away in my case as the therapeutic effects took hold, approx. 4-6 weeks.

You are also correct about finding the right one. It can be a game of trial and error. You are also correct about how most will negatively affect your libido. That may or may not be a deal breaker for some ppl. 

I plan on eventually getting off the SSRI @[an...] after I am completely off the valium. Do you plan on just staying on the SSRI for a while?

According to my doctor we will propably stop SSRI (with tapper) in 6-12 months from now

37 minutes ago, [[a...] said:

According to my doctor we will propably stop SSRI (with tapper) in 6-12 months from now

Thanks for your reply backs ....very helpful.👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Almost a month free. No issues.

Had some rough situations IRL and was thinking of taking so I can relax, but I remembered that I don't need Xanax to relax.

I am still on SSRI, so increased serotonin helps.

Edited by [an...]

On 22/10/2023 at 04:38, [[a...] said:

My timeline:

Xanax

18/10/2023 jump!

Congratulations!!  You got this. Here if you need a buddy. :)

• Like 1

Yes, it is possible that anxiety caused by withdrawal and start a month out.   Some times there can be a delay in when your symptoms start after stopping the drug.   My symptoms were delayed almost three months.   Hope the anxiety is not too bad.   Do you have some things you can do to distract yourself?  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, [[d...] said:

Yes, it is possible that anxiety caused by withdrawal and start a month out.   Some times there can be a delay in when your symptoms start after stopping the drug.   My symptoms were delayed almost three months.   Hope the anxiety is not too bad.   Do you have some things you can do to distract yourself?  

Yes I have a very busy schedule atm

Beside work, I have started an MsC and also started going to Gym 

3 hours ago, [[a...] said:

Sorry meant to write MSc. (Master of science)

👍💪good for you. Keep up the exercise. You seem to be doing great.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...