Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Success!

[0e...]

I jumped 11 days ago. I tapered from July 6th from 1 mg down to .25 and took the leap.  I drove to the store today a mile from my house and bought a few things. Small wins. Xanax is no joke. The hardest thing is you have a good day and can't really celebrate it because you don't know what lies in store for you tomorrow. The mornings! Wow! I have noticed if I force myself up and get going it is starting to clear a little faster.  If you lay there it never goes away. I have never had it feel so hard to get out of bed. I have been taking L-theanine and Gaba at night. It seems to help some. Good Luck everyone!

Edited by Guest

Congrats @[Ni...] on your freedom from Xanax. Happy you are doing ok and having some windows. From July 6 (2023) to Sept. 28 (2023) (11 days ago from today) = 2 months and 22 days. According to your success post, you were on 1 mg of Xanax. You did a pretty fast, aggressive taper. May I ask how long were you on the xanax? Kudos to you friend for getting off.👍

Please keep updating this post as more time goes by. It really helps others who are still tapering. 

Anti,

I need to clarify this a little. My apologies. I was on X for approximately 5 years starting with the usual .25. I started tapering in March down from a high of 1 mg that I was still taking as of early Jan. So I slowly started coming down from the first of the year by cutting it in half, skipping some days, going into interdose withdrawl etc. I really started studying this around mid March and struggled a lot really because all I did was just start cutting the 1mg in half and started taking .5 everyday and didn't realize why I was feeling so awful. I realize now that the reason I was is because I cut 50%. Kinda weird I know. I stayed at .5 from March until July 6th with 5-6 attempts at CT which I failed. July 6th I went to .375 for about 2 weeks then to .25. Stayed there until I jumped. I can say that today is day 12 CT and that it is definitely up and down. I still have intrusive thoughts, DP/DR, OCD, looping thoughts etc. Hope this is clear.

@[Ni...]

I did something like a short taper from Xanax and Ambien. How are you doing? I am having rough time. I wish I had tapered the right way, but I dud not know.

Keep us posted how you are progressing

CC @[An...]

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 13:47, [[G...] said:

@[Ni...]

I did something like a short taper from Xanax and Ambien. How are you doing? I am having rough time. I wish I had tapered the right way, but I dud not know.

Keep us posted how you are progressing

CC @[An...]

Day 24 of CT. The definition of up and down. I have had a few short lived windows. Short lived meaning 10 minutes to an hour. My worst symptoms are intrusive ruminating thoughts and feeling a little hopeless for the future, and fear. I get anxiety watching a  movie with any kind of violence in it, gives me extreme anxiety. Super weird. like I'll never feel or have my old life back again. The mornings are up and down as well. Some mornings are so horrible I feel like I can't go on, but some are what I would describe as slightly tolerable. Once I get going after boxing and a hot shower the ruminating thoughts lessen some. I feel like 24 days is a success, but I have a long way to go. I am living literally day by day. Each day, hour, min is win. This forces you to let life come to you as it may, because you are in control of nothing during withdrawl. I am learning a lot. I will keep this updated....

Thank you

Edited by Guest

On 09/10/2023 at 19:56, [[N...] said:

Anti,

I need to clarify this a little. My apologies. I was on X for approximately 5 years starting with the usual .25. I started tapering in March down from a high of 1 mg that I was still taking as of early Jan. So I slowly started coming down from the first of the year by cutting it in half, skipping some days, going into interdose withdrawl etc. I really started studying this around mid March and struggled a lot really because all I did was just start cutting the 1mg in half and started taking .5 everyday and didn't realize why I was feeling so awful. I realize now that the reason I was is because I cut 50%. Kinda weird I know. I stayed at .5 from March until July 6th with 5-6 attempts at CT which I failed. July 6th I went to .375 for about 2 weeks then to .25. Stayed there until I jumped. I can say that today is day 12 CT and that it is definitely up and down. I still have intrusive thoughts, DP/DR, OCD, looping thoughts etc. Hope this is clear.

Thanks for the clarification friend and congrats. again.👍

14 hours ago, [[N...] said:

Day 24 of CT. The definition of up and down. I have had a few short lived windows. Short lived meaning 10 minutes to an hour. My worst symptoms are intrusive ruminating thoughts and feeling a little hopeless for the future, and fear. I get anxiety watching a  movie with any kind of violence in it, gives me extreme anxiety. Super weird. like I'll never feel or have my old life back again. The mornings are up and down as well. Some mornings are so horrible I feel like I can't go on, but some are what I would describe as slightly tolerable. Once I get going after boxing and a hot shower the ruminating thoughts lessen some. I feel like 24 days is a success, but I have a long way to go. I am living literally day by day. Each day, hour, min is win. This forces you to let life come to you as it may, because you are in control of nothing during withdrawl. I am learning a lot. I will keep this updated....

Thank you

Great attitude @[Ni...]. I have a gut feeling you will do well during your benzo free recovery phase. Please keep updating from time to time.👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow is 60 days CT. I will say this is one of the most difficult things I have experienced in my life. I am still in the middle of intrusive thoughts, ruminating, no motivation, fatigue, don't wanna get out of bed, muscle twitches, insomnia, no feelings of emotion towards people. There have been small windows of hope that last a very short time. They are not windows but just feeling a little better. I also have a negative attitude toward just about everything, what I think is DP/DR but not sure because I haven't found a real good explanation of it yet. I was better earlier on and have had some small glimpses of hope but this is going to be a hard road, The worst being you have no idea what the next day will bring and you can't enjoy the time of feeling better because you know the doom is coming back soon. I'm gonna keep on keeping on. No choice. 

Hello @[Ni...] Congratulations on getting off Xanax.  CT is a hard way to go for sure but withdrawal is often rough after you jump even after a taper.  Many folks report a delay of a week or more between jumping and when withdrawal symptoms show up.  I'm glad you have 2 months behind you now. It's really good that you recognize this will be a hard road.  Acceptance is a big part of getting through this.  Distraction is also important.   It's slow going but remember every day brings you closer to recovery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2023 at 22:09, [[B...] said:

Hello @[Ni...] Congratulations on getting off Xanax.  CT is a hard way to go for sure but withdrawal is often rough after you jump even after a taper.  Many folks report a delay of a week or more between jumping and when withdrawal symptoms show up.  I'm glad you have 2 months behind you now. It's really good that you recognize this will be a hard road.  Acceptance is a big part of getting through this.  Distraction is also important.   It's slow going but remember every day brings you closer to recovery.

w/d symptoms- people report a delay of a week or more between jumping and when symptoms show up>>

that seems a long time! 

So is that why about 2 weeks is recommended between tapers/cuts of doses is recommended?  and congrats @[Ni...] for the successes