Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Desperate-PAWS worse with menstrual cycle

[Ma...]

Hi all I’m new. It appears that the menstrual threads are closed. I have been suffering from SSRI withdrawal for five months and even though I reinstated, I am stuck in protracted withdrawal. I was put on Ativan to help deal with akathisia. I am finding that during my period I am having severe withdrawal symptoms with Akathisia. As my estrogen rises, it seems to improve, and I feel almost normal at ovulation time. The luteal phase is a free-for-all. Then once my hormone start to drop it insane withdrawal symptoms all over again. I have been unable to taper anything because I’m not stabilizing I think because of my cycle. My doctors are suggesting I try a continuous birth control pill. I also have severe endometriosis, so I usually am on birth control. I typically need a surgery every year if I’m not on the pill because it grows so fast. Has anybody tried birth control who is going through withdrawal? I am so desperate for help.

• 3 weeks later...

This is such an interesting topic. I struggle a lot with my hormones in this too. My symptoms get much worse around my menstrual cycle. What are your symptoms of endometriosis? Are they very different to your withdrawal related symptoms? 

I think everyone is different. And when you have co morbidities, it’s even harder. I don’t have any answers for you but was searching for hormone related issues and came across this thread. 

34 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

This is such an interesting topic. I struggle a lot with my hormones in this too. My symptoms get much worse around my menstrual cycle. What are your symptoms of endometriosis? Are they very different to your withdrawal related symptoms? 

I think everyone is different. And when you have co morbidities, it’s even harder. I don’t have any answers for you but was searching for hormone related issues and came across this thread. 

Yes endo is pain. My withdrawal symptoms are akathisia, tremors, panic, cortisol/adrenaline rushes, insomnia, temp dysregulation, inability to eat, ect

@[Ma...] from everything I’ve read about endometriosis it’s much more than just pain for a lot of people. It’s a systemic inflammatory disease. Pharmaceuticals can cause it. 

On 10/10/2023 at 13:40, [[E...] said:

@[Ma...] from everything I’ve read about endometriosis it’s much more than just pain for a lot of people. It’s a systemic inflammatory disease. Pharmaceuticals can cause it. 

What are your symptoms around your period? Are you still able to taper? 

• 1 month later...
On 14/10/2023 at 12:54, [[M...] said:

What are your symptoms around your period? Are you still able to taper? 

I just stumbled across this post. Hope you dont mind a comment here. My menses has gotten far worse gradually over the years. When I was first put on an SSRI in late 90s I would suffer on and off. Never attributed any menstrual issues with pharmaceuticals! Also did not have access to such info at that time. I have fibroids and polycystic things going on, but very similar in the intense pain of it. one doc recently put me on a progesterone based bc - starts with a z forgot full name of it at moment. anyway I may still be withdrawing from that. as it was only a few weeks, and I am only one week off of it. Due to fact that I  could not handle side effects, mostly very unsual abdominal cramping and different than typical menstrual cycle- pain. so that pain is subsiding. Until Im done tapering I really cannot seem to tolerate anything in my system except a basic painkiller for menstrual pain.

@[Em...] a systemic inflammatory disease caused by pharmacueticals, Im fascianted. do you have any good info on that by any chance?

3 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I just stumbled across this post. Hope you dont mind a comment here. My menses has gotten far worse gradually over the years. When I was first put on an SSRI in late 90s I would suffer on and off. Never attributed any menstrual issues with pharmaceuticals! Also did not have access to such info at that time. I have fibroids and polycystic things going on, but very similar in the intense pain of it. one doc recently put me on a progesterone based bc - starts with a z forgot full name of it at moment. anyway I may still be withdrawing from that. as it was only a few weeks, and I am only one week off of it. Due to fact that I  could not handle side effects, mostly very unsual abdominal cramping and different than typical menstrual cycle- pain. so that pain is subsiding. Until Im done tapering I really cannot seem to tolerate anything in my system except a basic painkiller for menstrual pain.

@[Em...] a systemic inflammatory disease caused by pharmacueticals, Im fascianted. do you have any good info on that by any chance?

Nooo Iv had endo since I got my period. My pain is just slightly worsened since wirhdrawal. My mood symptoms are severe I’m borderline nonfunctioning for 18 days a month. I also can’t tolerate anything in my system 

sorry to hear it, 18 days of the month is alot! I am out of commission for about roughly  a week, give or take a day. I thought that was rough. maybe this will subside after successful taper and w/d schedule?