Need advice

[du...]

Hello, I am a M(30) and came here through advice from an MDs blog post about her experience with benzos and the support she discovered here. I think I am struggling with dependency/withdrawals and will get to that in a little. To start off, about a 10 months ago I got hit with a clinically diagnosed panic attack and was given Ativan (.5mg) and lexapro (5mg). After a couple of weeks my physician was busy and I saw he PA. His PA prescribed me more Ativan with the instructions to take .5mg in the morning and at night. Over the course of 10 months I have followed the prescription to the word, and have been on 4 different SSRIs in that time span. Life has been very up and down and I have felt the joys of anxiety free moments, and the depths of feeling suicidal because of immense depression and anxiety. It wasn't until a few months ago that my eyes were opened to the dark side of what ativan can do after long term use and trying to come off of them. I have tried to do thorough research because unfortunately for me a psychiatrists visit is a few months out and my PCP doesn't seem to think I am in too serious of a situation and has even offered to up the prescription if needed. Over the course of 2 months I have managed to get myself down to .25mg both morning and evening. Here is where I need advice. As I have tapered down I feel like I am going insane. My anxiety will spike through the roof sporadically, I am tired but cannot sleep (right as I get to the point of falling asleep I get hit by a panic attack), my emotions and thoughts seem to be all over the place around mid day, body aches, and a few other minor emotional/physical responses. I have the goal of within the next 4 months of turning those .25mg in the morning and evening into 0mg. I want to be off this drug. The advice I am needing is to know if I am really experiencing dependency/withdrawal or if this is another issue? I come here assuming that I think I know that answer but would like reassurance one way or another.   

Hello duckduckgoose :hug:  Welcome to BenzoBuddies!. 

We are glad to have you here with us. It doesn’t take long for our body to become dependent on these drugs.  Benzodiazepines are only recommended for a short term use 2/3 weeks.  Well done on starting your taper, slow is the way to go with these meds. The suggested taper rate is 5/10% every 10/14 days.  Many need to taper much slower, taper at a rate that feels comfortable.

Withdrawal is not pleasant but its temporary, you will recover. You will find a lot of information here, I will leave a few links to check out.  Our members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, and will offer advice and support.

You may want to familiarize yourself with  Professor Ashtons Manual. It is truly a great resource for information about benzodiazepine medication and how to safely withdraw.

The Ashtons Manual  .

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

We have a dedicated board dealing with Anxiety issues:

Anxiety     

Magrita