Why doesn't benzo withdrawal induce POSITIVE symptoms too??

[Bi...]

That's really a good question... hard to answer... well...maybe there are ...but we don't recognize them as withdrawal symptoms... I would say maybe I experienced some positive symptoms like "Joy Rebounds" as I call them or something... I mean that once you feel good again in a window you enjoy much more and you don't take things for granted anymore... you appreciate good moments much more and every day things are maybe even fun now... because you are finally able to do it in a good window... that is the good thing about it! ...Also the pride of managing waves and annoying left over symptoms and not letting it dictate your life can make you feel very very proud. You may feel as you slowly get better you have become a better and stronger person than ever before and that is a very nice memorable feeling. All these are maybe not true withdrawal symptoms but a nice side effect. The windows of phase 3 and 4 can feel very good and intense. But of course it's very very hard if these windows close -especially phase 3...That's what I remember from my first withdrawal... though I had many many left- over symptoms still that were annoying I like to remember the year 2015 a lot- A LOT!...as my recovery year  , as a good year... after I got off of Valium in December 2014 ...I think back then I was the best version of myself EVER even if it didn't always feel like that ...Well and now I will get back to that or even better....but it's normal to have days when you don't feel good at all in times of BIND... that's part of this temporary condition and especially part of recovery ...so try to not forget the good moments ...the windows and how good it felt!

Hello -

For me, there have been several positive things born out of my CT w/d from long time diazepam use.

1. I accept myself for who I am. I am a person living with a great deal of fear and anxiety. I am hypersensitive and very hard on myself. Instead of seeing this personality characteristics as negatives to be "fixed" I now accept them as integral parts of my psyche that have no negative or positive value in themselves, but the way I now see them is positive. No one can make me feel lesser for who I am anymore. I do not accept anyone telling me that I'm defensive or overly sensitive as an insult. I am able to recognize my anxiety and I have made "friends" with it, I realize it rears its head for a reason. I am gentle with myself, and I work every day on forgiving and loving myself.

2. I am more thoughtful and forgiving of others. I realize that every single human being is suffering in silence in some capacity. We all have history, we all have experienced our traumas and most of us never realize, discuss or try to heal from them. The hurting just goes on and on. I am now able to give the benefit of the doubt to my fellow human beings because I know that there is a story inside of them which is a source of their pain.

3. I am able to see the gift of life and appreciate every breath I take since my recovery process.

4. It used to be hard for me to see beauty in the world, now it's hard for me to see little else, even with violence and strife all around us.

5. I now fully understand my capabilities and limits, so I am comfortable in my skin, even with my organic anxiety, I am generally very happy.

This is just a partial list of the positives that I have discovered that I see as gifts through my recovery process.

Don't get me wrong. I still think about how I would take a handful of diazepam a hundred times a day, especially when I'm at work - except now I think about it then let the thought go.

One more thing; after going through the withdrawal process and then the extended healing process (hardline for several years) I recognize that I am very strong and the champion of my own life.

I now feel again. I think I was so sort of numb I couldn't listen to music because it tempted me to feel sad. But now music has become so important to me and I'm so grateful for it. I welcome the sadness (and the joy) it brings. I also became a poet to express my suffering. I became more spiritual - praying for help so much. I have examined my life and am working on forgiveness for all the mistakes I have made. My husband and I have grown closer and I am much more sensual to his touch - and because I couldn't sit still (and still can't) I took up walking and over the years I have walked over 3,000 miles. Surviving this suffering (if it ever ends) may make me so strong and appreciative - I can't imagine - but if it ever ends...

Thanks for this question.