Interdose withdrawls from holding?

[sp...]

Is it possible to get interdose withdrawls from Valium I went from 10mg down to 5mg In about 6 weeks..had a bad go of it so held past 3 months. Started noticing morning anxiety and daytime anxiety that was never there before. I moved over to V from X because of interdose withdrawls, I just didn't think with V interdose withdrawls was possible due to long acting. Idk I'm confused, I held for 3 months because I acquired a very bad alcohol problem while tapering down to 5mg. For those 3 months I held I relapsed at least 4-5 times, drinking close to half a 5th of whiskey a day. Before getting on benzos I had a beer or two a week. Never had a drinking problem. I quit again about 15 days ago. So for all I know it's not interdose withdrawls but a symptom of alcohol withdrawls still lingering.

Hi spitfiremetalart,

You may have a couple of things going on. One, I don't know if your rate of taper may be too aggressive. You blood plasma concentration adjusts more slowly with V because it's longer acting. There are expert members that can further guide you http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96753.23490. Life savers, honestly. I would definitely run your taper plan by them.

The second thing is that alcohol also acts on gaba. It may be that you were self-medicating if drinking is not typical for you. The alcohol withdrawal may be compounding your benzo taper withdrawals... You're dealing with a couple of variables that confound the picture. However, you may be able to offset the effects either by continuing to hold or maybe even reinstating at a higher dose.

These are initial thoughts, but I would definitely trust the guidance that more seasoned buddies, especially experinced with Valium would provide.

Hi, Valium does not give interdose wd. The half-life of diazepam in general is 30–56 hours.

You have to look at other factors involved. I second feelberlin's advice.

Hi new0girl

Thank you so much for all the support you've been giving others. You truly have given so much when you yourself have been struggling immensely.  :smitten:

I just wanted to clarify something. People can have interdose withdrawal on Valium. You are absolutely right, it has an incredibly long half life but regardless, some people still experience interdose withdrawal. I know of two current members on Valium with interdose withdrawal causing 5 times a day dosing (although 5x dosing is very rare). I'm not saying interdose withdrawal is the problem in this case, just saying it can happen with Valium.  :)

• Like 1

Hi, Valium does not give interdose wd. The half-life of diazepam in general is 30–56 hours.

You have to look at other factors involved. I second feelberlin's advice.

Hello, new0girl.

Please allow me to add my thanks to jelly baby’s for the support you have been giving to other members.  It’s very much needed and appreciated!

I especially appreciate the way you provide citations for the statements you make.  In this case, you have cited Wikipedia.  Regrettably, that’s not always the most credible source for drug-related information. For example, the citation used for the half-life of diazepam is from a 2017 publication from the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (not exactly an organization one would look to for pharmacological information :laugh:).

It’s clear you value evidence-based decision making.  Given that, you might want to check out StatPearls from the US National Library of Medicine (NML) for drug-related information.  I’ve included a link below to NLM’s paper on diazepam.  Here’s what it has to say about the half-life — actually half-lives — of diazepam:

Metabolism: Diazepam is mostly broken down by the microsomal enzymes CYP2C19 and CYP3A4 enzymes to several active metabolites, mainly desmethyldiazepam. Other minor active metabolites include oxazepam and temazepam. The average half-lives of oral diazepam and desmethyldiazepam are about 46 and 100 hours, respectively.

Link:

Diazepam - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537022/

Hi, thank you both for continuing to educate me. I admit, I still have much to learn about these drugs, and about finding good sources for information. I used to be an artist, but now seems like I have to become a scientist!  :laugh:

Wish the best to everyone.  :smitten:

Yeah who knows. It feels the same as the Xanax interdose withdrawls. Starts slowly with anxiety first thing in morning, then gets worse as day goes on. I think it's cause I held for past 3 months on this same dose. Didn't have this before. Honestly it doesn't matter. I'm going to continue to taper every 10 days .5 until I'm out. Going down to 4mg this Sat. Getting off this stuff sucks, the only way off it is to go through the pain I think.

Yeah who knows. It feels the same as the Xanax interdose withdrawls. Starts slowly with anxiety first thing in morning, then gets worse as day goes on. I think it's cause I held for past 3 months on this same dose. Didn't have this before. Honestly it doesn't matter. I'm going to continue to taper every 10 days .5 until I'm out. Going down to 4mg this Sat. Getting off this stuff sucks, the only way off it is to go through the pain I think.

Hi There,

I'm one who went from Xanax to Valium, more accurately used an adjunct of Valium to withdraw from Xanax and I have always had interdose w/d. 

That is why I went to 5X a day dosing ( a rare phenomenon but maybe just maybe it would help more people to do so?)

The interdose are very similar to with Xanax and are part of the pic for me I figure.

Now that I am down to less than 2.5 Valium and dosing 3X a day the interdose have become very manageable.  And they remain in the background. 

I do a DLMT which I find much easier than doing larger cuts -- and v=everyone needs to find what works for them

Wishing you the best

I'm changing it up to cutting once a day now instead of every 10 days. I'm taking my pill and shaving off a little more each day. That way it's not such a big cut that causes me to go off the deep end.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm changing it up to cutting once a day now instead of every 10 days. I'm taking my pill and shaving off a little more each day. That way it's not such a big cut that causes me to go off the deep end.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm guessing that'll make things easier.  :)  I do a LiquidMT and find that easy to do accurately.  Just fyi

i saw a phychiatrist today who said .5 was too much of a cut every 10 days for me if im experiencing such bad symptoms that its causing me to drink. So he said to take a razor blade or a knife and every day shave off a little bit more off the pill.  so right now im taking 2 2MG pills and .5 so 4.5MG of valium. He said first day shave off one scrape, 2nd day shave off 2 scrapes, 3rd day 3 scrapes ect. until the pile gets to be as big as the .5 pile...then take away the .5 and start over with the 2 pills...then start scraping one scrape off one pill first day, 2 scrapes off 2nd pill ect. ok i get it but this seems like its not very accurate. He said to be sure to use the same knife so it scrapes same amount off. This to me sounds like he talking about microtapering but getting rid of a little bit every day but kind of in a way thats not that accurate and kind of a pain if you ask me. He said it would take about 3 months to finish which would be about 1.5 MG a month. Ok cool. Im just thinking i can do this in a better way? Liquid micro tapering? Thats what i was thinking to begin with before i even saw him....idk maybe im being crazy here ill try his method he said main thing is that my mind can see that im taking some off every night, doesnt matter if its super accurate or not.

i saw a phychiatrist today who said .5 was too much of a cut every 10 days for me if im experiencing such bad symptoms that its causing me to drink. So he said to take a razor blade or a knife and every day shave off a little bit more off the pill.  so right now im taking 2 2MG pills and .5 so 4.5MG of valium. He said first day shave off one scrape, 2nd day shave off 2 scrapes, 3rd day 3 scrapes ect. until the pile gets to be as big as the .5 pile...then take away the .5 and start over with the 2 pills...then start scraping one scrape off one pill first day, 2 scrapes off 2nd pill ect. ok i get it but this seems like its not very accurate. He said to be sure to use the same knife so it scrapes same amount off. This to me sounds like he talking about microtapering but getting rid of a little bit every day but kind of in a way thats not that accurate and kind of a pain if you ask me. He said it would take about 3 months to finish which would be about 1.5 MG a month. Ok cool. Im just thinking i can do this in a better way? Liquid micro tapering? Thats what i was thinking to begin with before i even saw him....idk maybe im being crazy here ill try his method he said main thing is that my mind can see that im taking some off every night, doesnt matter if its super accurate or not.

I think his idea is in the right direction but accuracy can be VERY important I find.

With dry cutting-- for me-- even with a scale I couldn't get to the kind of accuracy that I need in order to taper while continuing to function.

I use a combo of pills - 2mg cut in half and taken at intervals -- and liquid, about .4mg right now and dropping most days.

I am very accurate with the liquid measures and my body reacts to even the slightest increase beyond what it can manage.

So I guess I'm saying try a combo of pills and liquid!  Sure has worked for me!