My son what is he feeling?

[Sl...]

My 35 year old Autistic son was forced to cold turkey his Lithium January of 23. Psychiatrists have assured me that the lithium is out of the system and what we are seeing now is not caused by drug withdrawals. Due to his disability it’s hard for my son to explain what he’s feeling I know that he’s tired he’s very dizzy has balance issues his body is hot and cold and seems to be depressed. He was on the lithium for 17 years. Has anybody else experienced this kind of withdrawal symptoms coming off Lithium and if so can you explain to me what he is going through. It would be a big help. 

Hello Slipmahony  :) Welcome to the forum 

Its dreadful that anyone should be forced cold turkey off their medications  I’m very sorry your son has been suffering withdrawals from this med.  We are mainly a benzodiazepine withdrawal support forum, but we do have some members who've used other meds.  I am not familiar with Lithium, you may find someone here who can help and advise you.

You might like to start a thread on Other Medication Board

Other Medications.

Magrita

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am Autistic, too! I am so sorry for what your son is going through! What the doctors have done to him by cold turkeying him off of that stuff was irresponsible! Probably even by giving it to him! Lithium is no medication for Autism! There is no medication to treat Autism! Trying meds on Autistics usually doesn't help, anyways Autistics react much more sensitive to psych meds than others and if meds are given they should be given at a much lower dose like 1/4 or 1/3 of standard doses as Temple Grandin says. I think psych meds should be avoided whereever possible in Autism... I have never seen or felt any benefit whatever substance!!!! And every of these substances creates dependency itself most of the time.

What is your son going through? He will probably be literally going through hell! I am sorry to say that, but I guess it might be true! In my opinion he should better be given no other psych meds now as they usually aggravate withdrawal symptoms with no benefit! Take good care of his Autistic traits as they might be aggravated by withdrawal, too...right now  like oversensitivities... be there for him whenever he needs you and try to avoid every little stress around him as good as possible! Withdrawal symptoms can last a long time! Try to find Autism-wise doctors who also know about withdrawals (but that might really be very hard to find)

Does your son get Autism specialized Therapy? I mean something like a life coach (with no focus on pharmalogical therapy)? This will be too much for him while in withdrawal or acute withdrawal but as he recovers or after recovery it might be a better benefit than medication... I live in Germany, I am in such a Therapy program for Autism. Here they force no Medication on you and help you to get along with your disabillity by developing coping strategies...

Good luck to you and your son! I really hope he recovers soon!