Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Benzos for pain?

[Md...]

I wasn’t entirely sure where to post this, so hopefully this is the appropriate place.

About 4 months ago I had a tooth extraction that came with some serious complications. It was a far back bottom molar that was extracted. It eventually healed, but this is where my life got turned upside down….

About 4 days later I noticed an odd pulsating sensation above my two from teeth, which eventually evolved into severe pressure pain in my top teeth. It honestly felt like my top teeth and gums were in a vice grip. That pain would then radiate up the center of face, into my nose and in my ears. It was extreme, crushing pressure pain.

I had tried every pain killer, even opioids, Kratom, cannibas, but that didn’t even touch it. The only thing that alleviated the pain was Xanax. I managed to have some from the panic attacks I would experience every so often, and on a whim I took it. The pain pretty much vanished after taking it.

I’ve been dealing with this condition for the past 4 months and it has baffled doctors and dentists.

So the only thing I can think of is that I perhaps endured some nerve damage when I had the tooth extracted. But why the pain would originate in my front teeth is beyond me.

There is a condition called atypical odontalgia or atypical facial pain. It’s a condition that occurs whenever someone has dental work done, but dentists cannot find anything wrong. And from all the Facebook groups who have this condition, so many people are taking benzos to treat the pain.

That being said, has anyone here taken benzos for pain? They seem to be very effective for neuropathic types of pain.

And if so, have you been able to find anything to replace the benzo for your pain?