Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

7 years use

[Ta...]

Im looking for support as I try to get over my addictiomn. I am tapering without anyone help or support.

Hello Taper777 :hug: Welcome to benzobuddies.

I’m so glad you’re here with us, this process can be lonely and scary, especially without support from people who understand what you are going through.  If you are taking benzos for 7 years, you are making a great decision to taper off...don't worry, I promise you will come through this process.  What benzo are you taking? What dose?.  You’ve joined a wonderful supportive community, who will support and encourage you along the way.  You will get some symptoms, that’s normal, just keep in mind they are temporary.  Please look around the forum, if you have any problems navigating, we are here to help.  Stay positive, patient and accept it’s going to take time, I promise its worth the effort.  Post any questions to the dedicated boards for members to respond.

The general rule of thumb is reducing between 5/10% every 10/14 days, this is too quick for some of us. taper at a rate you are comfortable with, always important to listen to your body and adjust the reduction accordingly. 

Check out the Ashton Manual  I found it reassuring, reading about withdrawal symptoms, this section took a lot of fear away for me. CHAPTER III

Here are a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual 

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

For tapering advice please post here:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

For support with any symptoms you may have, you can discuss them here:

Withdrawal Support

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

thank you. I wasnt prescribed but i was recently until march tapering of xanax with diaziapam, it was rough i was only getting 3 hrs sleep and sometimes none. I jumped at 10mg every 3 days which was my final taper dose but that might have been too much, i lasted 18 days benzo free but the body zaps insomnia agriophiobia was too much and i started taking 2.5-5mg this past week because i couldnt cope with it.

i need to taper off this again, ill try not to take any or more than 2.5mg and then if comfortable cut down from there. im pretty sure i tapered too fast and jumped form too high a dose. my CNS feels shocked.

!0mg every 3 days?  you've  been tapering far too quickly, thats a huge dose to cold turkey.  You might feel okay tapering to begin with but withdrawal symptoms can catch up with us. Withdrawal symptoms are horrendous, thats why slow is the best with these drugs. The aim is to keep symptoms manageable.  Its generally suggested to reduce between 5/10% every 10/14 days, even this rate is too quick for many of us.  Don't try and rush it, you should get back on a stable daily dose before you start tapering. 

Where are you getting your benzos from,  internet?  I would try and find a doctor who will prescribe enough for a taper. You will get plenty of support and encouragement here, to get you through this. :thumbsup:

Magrita :smitten:

yeah i think so too thanks. it was real shock to the system. i was buying pharma grade tested benzos, the dr doesnt really want to prescribe anything. ive been taking 5mg a night this past week maybe in a week or two ill drop it. the withdrawls started badly into the 3rd week i had pretty much every symptom. it was realyy debilitating, i was sleepin ok cus was smoking cannibis a bit whern that stopped i didnt sleep well and then leaving the house was difficult,

Agoraphobia is common in withdrawal, I think you are doing the right thing by waiting  a week before starting a taper. You’ve had a tough time learning cold turkey is not the way to go.

Withdrawal isn’t easy ….but I promise it’s worth it to be free of this awful drug.  I wish someone had encouraged me to get off sooner.  Acceptance is key, accept it’s going to take a while, stay positive and remember any withdrawal symptoms you get along the way… are temporary!

I know you can do this and we are here to help you through it.  If you have any more questions, just ask!! we are here for you.

We're glad you're here!!

Magrita :smitten: