Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Trying to finally succeed in tapering off Xanax for good after 22 years

[Ir...]

I first saw a doctor when I was 20, coming to him with a very bad stomach which I ended up being prescribed Xanax 1.5mg daily (3 x 0.5)

Initially, I got relief from my stomach pains, and cramps and also had this calming feeling. I had never heard of Xanax or knew anything about them.

One of the biggest mistakes of my life was not doing any research about them.

I never had any anxiety, panic, or panic attacks but that developed over the years.

I’m 42 this year so basically 22 years on Xanax. 6mg a day during Covid at my worst. I’m settled back into 4mg a day now. I’ve tried and failed to taper a few times. The withdrawals and side effects were brutal as I’m sure we all know in here.

Headaches, ear ringing, dizziness, severe stomach problems, and hand tremors which in the company are embarrassing.

Insomnia, palpitations, more heightened anxiety, a feeling of my skin crawling, chronic headaches. Completely paralyzed by fear and more.

My doctor is understanding and has even mentioned the possibility that it may not be worth tapering off again if I can’t function in the real world and hold down a job.

I’m just wondering if there is anyone here who has or is tapering off Xanax and how their experience is going.

I guess I’m just looking to hear back and maybe feel some hope instead of fear again about the tapering process. Of course, for anyone who has come off Xanax completely, it would be nice to hear stories about that.

I’m very much at a crossroads in my life. I would love nothing more than to taper off successfully and still be able to function in life.

Addiction is an isolating world and most of the time I spend alone while not working.

Sorry, this message ran long.

I guess at a time when I have none I’m just looking to hear from people who are going through this process or have completed that journey and how life is after Xanax.

Any advice, current progress, or personal stories would be greatly appreciated

Hello IrishBmac, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

There is hope, you can successfully taper from this medication and go on to live your life free from the drug and all of the symptoms and side effects its thrust on you since you started taking it.  Unfortunately, everything you felt in your past attempts will most likely show up again but the difference this time will be the support you get from us and the knowledge that its possible to quit these drugs for good and live happily ever after, I did.

We suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks but using your symptoms to guide your taper is even better, this will hopefully prevent the worst symptoms from becoming too intense.

I’ll provide some links to help you find your way around the forum but we have many members who have tapered Xanax successfully, some find it too difficult and cross to another benzo but its possible to get free.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list

I’ve been benzo free for just over 6 months.  I took xanax probably 1.5mgs a day for a few years.  The tapering was tough but worth it.  During the taper as i was healing i would notice that all of my senses were gaining clarity that had been suppressed for so long because of xanax.  The more dramatic healing started when i stopped completely.

It probably took a good year for me to struggle and make taper mistakes but I’m glad i did.  I’m a lot more calm since stopping xanax.  Lights, sounds, color, scents, taste and emotions are a lot more clear instead of being dulled from xanax.

I suffered during the taper and after but like many others, it’s completely worth it.

It was important and helpful for me to allow myself the space i needed to weather out the symptoms.  I could exercise (moderate to light) very helpful, lavender baths, and being active, (walking, gardening, landscape home projects) also very helpful.

I hope you stop taking xanax, I’ll keep track of your story on here.  Good luck.

I had to reply!

I was also a long term user of benzos….Lorazepam for 40 years.

I’m also half Irish……Co Mayo.

I was dubious about quitting and it’s no picnic but now at 15 months off I’m seeing the reward of the long months of tapering.

I’m delighted you have an understanding Dr who will let you go at your own rate hopefully.

My advice? Go slow. Nothing much to be gained by going quickly when you’ve been taking them for years. It might be that with a very slow taper, your body will hardly notice and you will recover as you reduce.

Researching the science of withdrawal also helped me tremendously.

All the very best.

Hardy x