Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Hello

[Ve...]

Hello.

Joined here through looking around on quora and some reddit posts about benzo withdrawl.

I currently take 1mg of xanax xr

been taking for about 2 years or so

I take about 1mg a day but sometimes (quite rarely, perhaps once in a month or so) 2 pills of 1mg if anxiety is hard

the size i think they're just round, not bars

I haven't started tapering

Lastly just want to seek info on quitting this shit because I feel like increasing the dosage will only lead to far worse outcomes

Hello Velos :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

We are glad you joined the community.  You are very welcome to do some research before you decide on a taper method.  Benzodiazepines can increase anxiety, these drugs are only meant for short term use (2/3 wks).  BB is an excellent place for support during one’s taper. Withdrawal can be a very challenging process but it’s a worthy journey to be free . You are among friends here, people who completely understand.  Accept that it will take a while, be patient, keep positive.  Know that you will get better but it does take some time.  Browse the boards and post questions our members are very caring and knowledgeable.

Tapering slow can help to minimize withdrawal effects.  It is generally recommended to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days. This is a guideline and it is ok to adjust this schedule for your own comfort.

The Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s  have on our body.  The manual includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

Anxiety 

You might like to check out this support group:

Xanax Club

If you could add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hey Margrita! Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful info with the links which I'll definitely read and learn more towards about this all.

I haven't exactly went to a doctor for consultation yet but I'm making an appointment next week. I was just wondering if I could ask few things to help with my situation.

I haven't started tapering since doing it solo is quite risky from what people said around. Tried going cold turkey 2 days ago without even knowing about the withdrawls and the first day felt like hell right after getting my coffee.

My biggest concern though is if I'm in the safe-range of not having any serious complications of withdrawl symptoms such as seizures or respiratory problems...

I'm currently on 1mg on Alprazolam but after going cold-turkey and having a terrible migraine, i felt taking 1 pill, which sort of worked but not entirely, so I'm now in a troubled path of taking 2 pills. I fear this might increase eventually cause for 2 and a half years taking 1mg daily (and 6 months of painkiller codeine pill of 500mg paracetamol) eventually felt like I was collapsing under physical health problems such as muscle cramps and constant cold-like symptoms. Then boom, taking 2 pills of 1mg Alprazolam seems to fix these issues? I'm off the codeine pills for good though right now though.

Thanks again for the welcome  :)

Hi there Velos, thanks for sharing some more with us.  Seizures are rare, a slow and careful reduction will avoid severe symptoms,  If you do this, you really won't have any risk of seizures. 

What happens with many of us when we arrive here is we reached tolerance, that's when the original dose stops working and we need more of the drug for the same effect.  It happens sooner for some later for others.  I wish it happened sooner for me, it would have saved me a lot of pain and years of being controlled by these awful drugs. 

For a long time (years). I was operating well below par , I couldn't do my job properly, muscle cramps, my emotion's all over the place, moody,  angry, my personality changed, anxiety through the roof.  I didn't know then, that the drugs were responsible for how dreadful I was feeling.  When I was in recovery, It was a great  surprise to me finding  the person I used to be emerging,  I could hardly believe it. Once you start needing more of the drug is the time to really consider tapering off, like I did.

I  do hope you'll find a doctor to support/prescribe enough for a slow taper.  I know you’ll get plenty of help, support and encouragement along the way from us.  This community is full of caring people, we can get you through this.  It won't be a walk in the park but I promise it will be worth it. I hope you decide to come off this drug safely. You’ll be making a great decision for your future health.

Whatever you choose to do, we are here for you.

Magrita :smitten: