Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Looking for help to get off Benzos

[Gl...]

I have been on Ativan for the past 7 years.  I take 0.5 mg. 3 times a day.  I feel I’ve reached my tolerance and don’t want the dose increased.  It no longer helps me, and I feel the drug is making the anxiety worse.  I’m concerned also about the impact of what it has been doing to the body physically.  Want to get off Benzos permanently and know I will be facing a big challenge.

Hey Gloriaqu7 - Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

You are so right to be concerned about the impact of this drug on the body.  I'm so glad you decided to join the forum - you'll find plenty of information and support here. Our members have gone through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, so you'll be able to connect with others who understand what you're going through and can tell you what has worked for them.

Please feel free to post to any of the specialized boards, which can all be accessed from the BenzoBuddies Community Forum homepage. Based on the information provided in your introduction, the following links may be a good starting place for you:

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support During Your Taper

A bit of quick advice:  For those who are currently tapering, some folks suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days, and some taper even slower than that. If you experience symptoms it is ok to slow down.

Hope this helps and again welcome.

jBen