Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

[...]

Hi, I have been on Xanax for 7 years.  I was taking 1mg in the morning and 1mg in the evening.  I have decided to stop taking this and quickly realized I couldn't just stop.  I tried to cut my dose in half. That was a little too much. So, I started tapering on April 17th.  I did .5mg in the morning and .5 mg in the afternoon and .5mg in the evening.  I am currently at .5mg in the morning and .25mg in the afternoon and .5mg in the evening.  I am pretty stable right now and holding for another week.  My research led me here.  I am blown away at the amount of knowledge I have learned.  So mad at myself for not researching before I took this drug. Thank you for having me.

Hello BB22 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

We are glad you joined the community, this is an excellent place for support during your taper. “So mad at myself for not researching before I took this drug” Me too.  Don’t beat yourself up, I think most of us here have said this.  Withdrawal is a very challenging process, being among people who completely understand,can make it a little easier.  Accept that it will take a while, be patient, keep positive, know that it will get better with time.  Browse the boards and post questions our members are very caring and knowledgeable.

It’s generally suggested reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days,  many need to taper slower than that, it depends on withdrawal symptoms. Taper at a rate that’s comfortable, the goal is to remain functional.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal.  The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia.  Withdrawal symptoms are temporary and do go away with some time.

The Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s  have on our body.  The manual includes a list of common symptoms

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

You might like to post here:

Xanax Club

If you care to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Thanks for the information!!

I have been educating myself since the start of my taper.  I have read everything and watched pretty much everything on YouTube I could find. 

My question is will I be able to work while I go through this?  I am a dog groomer who owns my own business and I work alone.  Needless to say, it is a live animal and a scissor.....

Hello again BB22

We have/had many members who worked through this process, I will post a couple of old threads you might like to read, not been active for quite some time  but if you search you will find others.  I know it won't be easy for you, but many have managed successfuly.

Working while tapering

Positive stories of people working while tapering and doing ok

You will come through this, taper at a rate you are comfortable with, no need to rush,  eat healthy, avoid suga,r caffeine, alcohol.  just know that there will be an end to this journey, you will get better.

Magrita :smitten: